The Schwinn Dixie Dreamcycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is like a drill bit, only instead of a sharp tip for puncturing material, the cutting is done with the edges to smooth or expand an existing hole
main-qimg-0d88a870c8b365c72b37470610fa84a4.jpeg

Okay, so the pedal problem persists. I went to my favorite local bike shop today to drop my wheels for a truing (decided I'm just going to leave them as they are; no white powder coat for now,) and I took the pedals with me to see what could be done with them. According to the bike mechanic I talked to, not only was the one pedal missing grease, it was missing the piece that covers the bearings! So yeah, big manufacturer error. I'm going to have to return these pedals. I contacted the seller, so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

I purchased a similar pair in all black ( they’re actually on my Build Off bike now). I originally received 2 left pedals, one spun, one didn’t. I contacted the seller, immediately sent me another pair ( I had to return the first ones) but before I did I made sure to keep the best spinning ones of the lot (fortunately the right one spun well).
It’s worth a try..

I purchased a similar pair in all black ( they’re actually on my Build Off bike now). I originally received 2 left pedals, one spun, one didn’t. I contacted the seller, immediately sent me another pair ( I had to return the first ones) but before I did I made sure to keep the best spinning ones of the lot (fortunately the right one spun well).
It’s worth a try..
I'm hoping that's what I'll be able to do. I still haven't heard back from the seller, but I'm hoping that will change soon.

Finally took the time to try and strip the paint off the fork and fenders. Here's what they looked like just before the process started:
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_paint_stripping_1.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_paint_stripping_4.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_paint_stripping_2.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_paint_stripping_5.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_paint_stripping_3.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_paint_stripping_6.jpg

This was about... 15, maybe 30 minutes after I started adding CitriStrip paint stripper to everything. The spray paint on the fork was already peeling off, but the fenders... weren't as dramatic.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_paint_stripping_7.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_paint_stripping_8.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_paint_stripping_9.jpg

This is about when I remembered how much I hate using paint stripper. The spray paint came off the fork easily enough, but the original paint hiding underneath is a lot more stubborn. And, not only did most of the paint not want to come off the fenders, but the stripper was already drying before 30 minutes even passed!
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_paint_stripping_10.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_paint_stripping_11.jpg

I need to remove the paint from these parts, as they tested positive for lead, but I can't help but think there's a better way to do this; a way that is still environmentally friendly, isn't quite as messy, and can yield better results than this. Part of me just wants to wipe the gunk off with some mineral spirits and just use a drill and wire brush wheel to get rid of everything, but that wouldn't be the smartest idea, especially in a residential area. Anyone here got any ideas?

Find a local sand/media blaster?
Like he said. But, I was getting ready to say: use your dad's sandblaster.
Well, that's just it. I could just use Dad's sandblaster, but I've read you really don't want to blast stuff with lead paint, as the lead paint will just recirculate inside the sandblaster, and may stick to whatever else you blast. Now, the guys my Dad takes stuff to get sandblasted don't mind if they're blasting lead paint, but they charge about $100 per hour. Plus, this is lead we're talking about. This is the stuff that turned Picher, Oklahoma into a toxic ghost town. So, yeah, sandblasting would be easier, but not exactly safer.

Well, that's just it. I could just use Dad's sandblaster, but I've read you really don't want to blast stuff with lead paint, as the lead paint will just recirculate inside the sandblaster, and may stick to whatever else you blast. Now, the guys my Dad takes stuff to get sandblasted don't mind if they're blasting lead paint, but they charge about $100 per hour. Plus, this is lead we're talking about. This is the stuff that turned Picher, Oklahoma into a toxic ghost town. So, yeah, sandblasting would be easier, but not exactly safer.
Sandblasting it would be
Alot safer even envitomentaly .
Besides: you are only blasting a very small amount.
What isnt safe is your ideal of wire brush on drill .

Been in the auto restoration biz sense 1972 & never heard the crap bout not samdbladting lead paint .

Sandblasting it would be
Alot safer even envitomentaly .
Besides: you are only blasting a very small amount.
What isnt safe is your ideal of wire brush on drill .

Been in the auto restoration biz sense 1972 & never heard the crap bout not samdbladting lead paint .
KJV, I've got to disagree with you. I literally Googled "is it okay to sandblast lead paint," and EVERY result for the first few pages came back: no. There's a number of health problems that come from breathing lead dust, and sand/media blasting produces A LOT of dust. And like I said, lead is what turned Picher, Oklahoma into "Toxic Town, USA." That place alone is worth a Google on the dangers of lead and zinc. Been there myself a few times for photography road trips.

Well, after consulting with Dad on the paint stripping issue, I've come to learn that he's probably already blasted lead paint with his blasting cabinet. He doesn't care if I blast the parts with his equipment or not, but that does little to quell my concerns. As much as I hate to say it though, I'm probably going to have to resort to the sandblaster for these bike parts. I'll just want to wear a mask while I blast all the parts. Maybe I could test other paint strippers like LEAD OUT and Goof Off on some other parts once the Build Off is over, so I can figure out what works best for removing lead paint in the future.

I'm about to start sandblasting parts. I can't get the lights inside the blasting cabinet to turn on though, so I'm shooting almost blind. Plus, the blasting cabinet uses up air faster than the air compressor can generate it. That said, I got my mask on, my goggles on, and my music jamming, so I'm ready to start blasting!

Good grief. Took nearly an hour and a half of work to sandblast the fork and part of the frame! But hey, progress!
20210821_131739.jpg
20210821_131758.jpg

Speaking of progress, I failed to mention (and photograph) some other work I did. The fenders still needed a little tweaking, and the fender braces even more so. I used my dad's vice, anvil, some scrap pipes and a hammer to gradually bend all them back into shape. I did all that before I started sandblasting, but I skipped the photography because I just wanted to get stuff done.

I'm taking a break for now to check on the dog I'm looking after, and to grab some lunch. After that's done, I aim to return to the shop and continue blasting parts. I hope to have everything ready for powder coating on Monday, so I need to get the sandblasting done this weekend.

Ok, my plan just changed for the rest of today. Turns out the folks I've been house/pet-sitting for are going to be home sometime tonight, so instead of sandblasting more this evening, I'm packing up and cleaning up before I go home tonight. Good news about that (aside from sleeping in my own bed,) is that means I can spend most of if not all day tomorrow sandblasting. So that's the new plan.

Make sure your powder coater will stick to your schedule and the deadline. More times than I can count there have been RRB builders that were delayed weeks by coaters and didn't finish on time.

Latest posts

Back