The Schwinn Dixie Dreamcycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have any big plastic bags you could seal the parts in along with something to use as a desiccant to keep the humidity down in the bags?
Well, I do have access to some big trash bags that I should be able to fit the parts in, but as for that other bit, I don't know. I've never tried that before. I'm just worried that it wouldn't make much of a difference, given Oklahoma's high summer humidity and heat. Plus, I have no idea how quickly Dad can get his powder coating booth operational again. He could have the problem solved in a couple hours, or a couple weeks. I don't know.

Worst case scenario, you could build it raw or even coat it in BLO just for BO16. Then when the powder is available clean off the BLO and do a light sanding of the flash rush and get the powder coat done after BO16. Not ideal, but a possibility if it looks like the powder is screwed.

Worst case scenario, you could build it raw or even coat it in BLO just for BO16. Then when the powder is available clean off the BLO and do a light sanding of the flash rush and get the powder coat done after BO16. Not ideal, but a possibility if it looks like the powder is screwed.
I had briefly thought about wire brushing everything and spraying it with satin clear coat like last year's Build Off bike. In fact, that was actually my original intent for this bike. That said, I really don't want another bare metal bike when I've already got one, and I'd rather just wait until I can finish the bike the way I want instead of rushing it just to get it done for the Build Off voting period.

Okay, Dad fixed the air lines running to the powder coating booth, so I'm going to try to get this bike done within the next 3 days. Wish me luck!
EG6r7Oc.gif

While I'm waiting for the sandblaster to build up air pressure again, I'm wondering about how I'm going to paint the tank. I've got some universal bonding primer, which I plan to apply first, followed by some filler primer, then metallic white, topped with a high gloss clear coat. The issue I'm trying to figure out is sanding between coats, or sanding any imperfections in the gloss clear coat without messing up the glossy finish.

Anyone got a solid method for painting wood tanks without the grain?

Digging the orange Tang powder photo!!!
So glad everything is working out brother!!
Cool score, those are great little bikes.

Digging the orange Tang powder photo!!!
So glad everything is working out brother!!
Cool score, those are great little bikes.
Thanks Kingfish! We managed to get everything powder coated tonight! Took way longer than expected, but now all that's left is painting the tank, general assembly, and a little wash and wax. I'll try to post more photos of today's progress later either tonight, or tomorrow morning.

Yeah, kind of surprised how it happened, but it's a good clean bike! Can't say it's really my style though. I never really got into BMX or motocross bikes. I mostly just got it to sell or trade at an upcoming bicycle swap meet. It's a Murray-built bike, right?

Thanks Kingfish! We managed to get everything powder coated tonight! Took way longer than expected, but now all that's left is painting the tank, general assembly, and a little wash and wax. I'll try to post more photos of today's progress later either tonight, or tomorrow morning.

Yeah, kind of surprised how it happened, but it's a good clean bike! Can't say it's really my style though. I never really got into BMX or motocross bikes. I mostly just got it to sell or trade at an upcoming bicycle swap meet. It's a Murray-built bike, right?

Yes, Murray built. Nothing wrong with getting a bike to flip or trade. That is exactly how I get and/or pay for all of my bike stuff!!

Here are a few more shots of last night's progress. First are all the parts besides the frame after being powdered with clear coat.
20210903_204738.jpg

Same parts after curing.
20210903_211918.jpg
20210903_211930.jpg

And here are all the orange parts, frame included, after curing.
20210903_215409.jpg

My phone doesn't have the best camera, and the lighting wasn't ideal, but hopefully I'll have some better photos of the bike later today.

Latest posts

Back