Aardvark

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going with this pic

4C24E61B-0398-4199-80C9-F22CC77CC893_1_105_c.jpeg

Before shot
IMG_1953.jpeg

More shots on the way just wanted to get this in .

DA6695DE-76EB-4730-BEF8-54D3068F6037_1_105_c.jpeg

IMG_9300.JPG

Build thread is here https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/aardvark.114211/

Bike is a 1950 Massey Harris Sunshine Canadian made

Parts
Frame Fork crank bottom bracket headset seat post clamp chain guard rear hub head badge shifter hardware and believe it or not most of the spokes were reused these parts are original to this bike

Stuff I had in the pile chromoly Moto bars I refurbed the big old mountain bike brake leavers old school bmx stem that I polished up
Sturmey Archer front drum brake hub laid back seat post that I made out of a bmx sized handlebar ( these are perfect fit on this bike and old CCM bikes ) trusty old double sided kickstand for pictures .
Seats I rebuilt 2 seats the original Troxel in red and the slide rail in Black pebble grain leather bike is pretty red already so went black .

Wheels were rebuilt by my friend Gilles using a better set of rims but same type as originals that he donated ( Thanks Gilles )
I had to modify the cable adjuster on the front hub and had to custom build the cables to get the lengths right front was to long rear was to short .

New stuff that I bought Schwalbe Big Apple tires tubes and rim strips old school new old stock BMX red anodized pedals
red sparkle old school grips all new cables and red cable housing cable adapters new shifter chain 3 speed thumb shifter and a chrome chain
Paint Red Metalcast
No gizmos doo dads ornaments bells and whistles were harmed or killed in the making of this bike .
I tried guys but couldn't find anything I liked almost had a nice battery headlight but it stuck out too much .
Just like it plain was thinking about a chopped fender but ran out of time for bodywork and paint.

Oh yah one other reason I didn't put anything else on this thing is a Hog it's gotta be well over 50 lbs. maybe 60.
And I'm definitely changing out the rear sprocket to a least a 20 tooth.

Last edited:
That is one helluva beautiful bike! Gret blend of old and new and you nailed the metalcast paint!
CONGRATS!

Thanks Kingfish your bike also turned out spectacular as usual .
Lots of great looking bikes in the running this year .

50-60 lbs! I can see why you would want to change out the rear sprocket.

It's a beautiful thing!

Here it is the reason this bike is called Aardvark .
Last year I named my bike Zen which put it at the very bottom of the voting list .
I made a comment somewhere and Captain Awesome came back with you should name it Aardvark which would almost guarantee
it would be the first bike on the list .
I did not have a bike for the contest and was not going to enter then this one turned up .
So my name choice was fast and easy although the cartoon Aardvark is blue I decided to go with the red colour .
I was going to change the name to Aardvark's Ant which is red but thought it was too long a name .

This almost backfired on Captain Awesome as we were tied in the poles at one point and if we had stayed that way I would have been in tenth place instead
of him :grin: but he squeaked by me with 1 vote .
Congrats Cap. and thanks for the Name

Here it is the reason this bike is called Aardvark .
Last year I named my bike Zen which put it at the very bottom of the voting list .
I made a comment somewhere and Captain Awesome came back with you should name it Aardvark which would almost guarantee
it would be the first bike on the list .
I did not have a bike for the contest and was not going to enter then this one turned up .
So my name choice was fast and easy although the cartoon Aardvark is blue I decided to go with the red colour .
I was going to change the name to Aardvark's Ant which is red but thought it was too long a name .

This almost backfired on Captain Awesome as we were tied in the poles at one point and if we had stayed that way I would have been in tenth place instead
of him :grin: but he squeaked by me with 1 vote .
Congrats Cap. and thanks for the Name
Doesn't matter if it's AAA or ZZZ, all your stuff is clean as can be. I loved both builds because they are just so dang tidy

Pleasure competing against/alongside you

Latest posts

Back