RadRotBike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
1953 Western Flyer X53

100_7753 (2).JPG

See the build journal HERE.

At 35 days, this wasn't my quickest build-off entry, but it still went by pretty fast! After skipping last year, I hated to miss out on another one this year.:)

The goal was to take one of three forsaken lifeless bikes and return it to service with a little modern flair. A restorod.

Most of the work on this bike was spent on things that don't really catch the eye in the finished photos. Things like resuscitating the rust frozen skip chain, repairing the badly bent 'non-repairable' pedals, relocating the factory welded chainguard bracket so that the lines look right, realigning bent forks, etc. But most of those were the necessary things needed to retain all of the original parts and make it rideable again.

In the end the goal was met. As I rode it for the first time (decades since anyone had put thier foot to the pedal) it was very satisfying knowing that it would once again be enjoyed in a second chance at life! It makes me wonder how the first kid that ever rode it must have felt!

It was never really meant to compete for votes. I've done that too. And even though it's nice, it's been fun just trying to get this done in the short amount of time allotted. It would still be waiting in storage otherwise.

I had actually given thought to not posting it here in the finished section but decided on Friday after it was finished to go ahead. After all, it is also nice to get the feedback from all of the other builders.:happy:

Good luck and thanks to everyone for making it fun!

-Jim

Last edited:
Glad you jumped back in with this killer patina classic! Perfectly done as usual!
Hookem' Horns!
CONGRATS!

It's so cool how those wide rims and fat tires fit in that frame and fork without any mods. You brought out just the right amount of wear, and cleaned it up, and then popped on the new shoes and ...BAM! Hit a home run! Really dig this!

Following along was a treat. Even a quick build left you enough time to impress. The little details you worked in the thread, the things the average person wouldn't even see, are what elevates this one. Perfect. I'd advise all the builders to read your thread and learn.

That front hub is perfect for the fork set up, it reminds me of old motorcycles where the brake would have that kind of mass down by the suspension levers. Now I have started thinking about looking at Honda Cub forks for components...

this is the definition of a rat rod as far as I'm concerned. Perfection.
Thanks! That was what I had in mind from the start! :cool:

From my first post in the build journal:
I have several bikes that are very 'Rad' but have a lot of 'Rot" and have been lingering in the "I'll get to it some day" list. This may be the right motivation to do a simple build that will take one of them from rotting to riding!

The idea is to build a traditional rat style bike, namely, no minutiae.

1953 Western Flyer X53

View attachment 172282

See the build journal HERE.

At 35 days, this wasn't my quickest build-off entry, but it still went by pretty fast! After skipping last year, I hated to miss out on another one this year.:)

The goal was to take one of three forsaken lifeless bikes and return it to service with a little modern flair. A restorod.

Most of the work on this bike was spent on things that don't really catch the eye in the finished photos. Things like resuscitating the rust frozen skip chain, repairing the badly bent 'non-repairable' pedals, relocating the factory welded chainguard bracket so that the lines look right, realigning bent forks, etc. But most of those were the necessary things needed to retain all of the original parts and make it rideable again.

In the end the goal was met. As I rode it for the first time (decades since anyone had put thier foot to the pedal) it was very satisfying knowing that it would once again be enjoyed in a second chance at life! It makes me wonder how the first kid that ever rode it must have felt!

It was never really meant to compete for votes. I've done that too. And even though it's nice, it's been fun just trying to get this done in the short amount of time allotted. It would still be waiting in storage otherwise.

I had actually given thought to not posting it here in the finished section but decided on Friday after it was finished to go ahead. After all, it is also nice to get the feedback from all of the other builders.:happy:

Good luck and thanks to everyone for making it fun!

-Jim
Are the tiers Fat franks with the Hoosier logo stenciled or what? Really COOOL Old Western Flyer bike. Thanks for sharing... RaToN.. Razin...

Are the tiers Fat franks with the Hoosier logo stenciled or what? Really COOOL Old Western Flyer bike. Thanks for sharing... RaToN.. Razin...
Thanks!
The tires are 26 x 2.35" Deli black walls and yes I stenciled the logos on them.

IMG_3467.JPG

You did a great job of bringing this old bike back to riding condition. I have never seen this model and it is a cool one. I really like your Cadillac steer horns. I guess old skip tooth chains are unavailable? I looked on the internet and I don't see them. Times have changed.

Latest posts

Back