What In Tarnation Did I Just Bring Home? Some Kinda Rig I Wouldn't Understand Rescued From The Trash Man!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm kinda wrapping things up for the year and closing up shop because winter's coming and I have to do most of my bike work and painting outside.
But, I can't leave well enough alone, so I take a closer look at this thing and try to figure out what exactly is wrong with the drive side crank which I mentioned in my OP that seemed to be damaged.

Well, it's damaged alright. In fact, it appears to be FUBAR. Pedal threads are hopelessly stripped, and the arm appears to be slightly bent. The sprocket seems OK, as does the bottom bracket. A quick innerwebs search kinda tells me this Truvativ ISIS Drive Elita (F2815E/1725) set is unobtanium in new condition.

I'm thinking about dragging this heap to my local bike shop to see if they can recommend a new crank arm set which doesn't bankrupt me.
What say you experts?

IMG_4312.jpg

So, I'm kinda wrapping things up for the year and closing up shop because winter's coming and I have to do most of my bike work and painting outside.
But, I can't leave well enough alone, so I take a closer look at this thing and try to figure out what exactly is wrong with the drive side crank which I mentioned in my OP that seemed to be damaged.

Well, it's damaged alright. In fact, it appears to be FUBAR. Pedal threads are hopelessly stripped, and the arm appears to be slightly bent. The sprocket seems OK, as does the bottom bracket. A quick innerwebs search kinda tells me this Truvativ ISIS Drive Elita (F2815E/1725) set is unobtanium in new condition.

I'm thinking about dragging this heap to my local bike shop to see if they can recommend a new crank arm set which doesn't bankrupt me.
What say you experts?

View attachment 175179
Isis drive is just their splined shaft drive. 10t iirc. They're out there as are many other options

Link here for eBay used set

Here is another ebay link

Thanks. Dumb question inbound. How are cranks measured? Center of pedal hole to center of bottom bracket axel?
I see measurements of 170mm and 175mm on the links you provided. Mine measure approx 175mm from center to center of both holes.

Is the 1725 maybe the crank size...172.5mm?

IMG_4357.jpg

Last edited:
Center of the bottom bracket spindle to the center of the pedal spindle

Yep, my best guess is those are 172.5 which is/was an available size via Truvativ
Thanks for your help and guidance. I truly appreciate it.
I know my way around antiques and simple department store junk pretty well, but with the more modern or higher grade tech stuff I'm sorta lost.

That is why I am so delighted with this community. You and folks like you are more than willing to help an old codger like me without being condescending.

Thanks again! :D :heart:

Thanks for your help and guidance. I truly appreciate it.
I know my way around antiques and simple department store junk pretty well, but with the more modern or higher grade tech stuff I'm sorta lost.

That is why I am so delighted with this community. You and folks like you are more than willing to help an old codger like me without being condescending.

Thanks again! :D :heart:
Any time :thumbsup:

That bike is well worth the effort and worth a good chunk of change

What say you experts?

View attachment 175179

What say you experts?

View attachment 175179
I was going to recommend Bikepartsusa.com, but it seems like the better buisiness bureau BBB, is checking on them, the site says temporarily closed for construction, or something along those lines...anyway they had tons of crank arms AND I need one myself ✌😎🤘

Does #2 son know about this bike yet?
It's a pretty cool "early" Christmas present
(or maybe not early?)

Carl.

A set of Wellgo strap-on pedals for the Roo, ordered, paid for, and sent to my addy by #2 son.
I ain't the kinda guy who straps on anything, but the bike's for him and these are what he wants.

IMG_4392.jpg

:wink1:

Latest posts

Back