Mucking about with the Pure Fix

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I did it.
The destructive kid (and his parents) a few doors down donated some parts.
A couple of ragged out kid-sized department store BMX rigs.
I scrounged the handlebars, amongst other things, then did the unthinkable.
Spray bombed a disgusting neon green set into a gaudy gloss banner red set, and bolted them onto my fixie!
The BMX bars are the same width as the straight bars, so why not try it?
Sacrilege? I think not.
It pleases my eye to gaze upon it.
The bike fits me now and is very comfortable.
Thoughts?

Before:

IMG_4007(Edited).jpg

After:

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

And no, I do not ride it fixed.
I am old and not nearly cool enough.

Attachments

• IMG_4447.jpg
    IMG_4447.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 22
While most "fixies" are merely fashion accessories and generally relegated to a younger segment of the population, we're never really too old to go fast in an efficient manner if we wish to.

View attachment 175677

I agree.
I just cannot take the road bike/racing stance anymore.
The old bod complains too much!

BTW...that is a handsome rig.
When I was a kid, a Le Tour was the ultimate dream bike!!
So exotic and fancy. Like a two-wheeled Ferrari.
🤤

I agree.
I just cannot take the road bike/racing stance anymore.
The old bod complains too much!

BTW...that is a handsome rig.
When I was a kid, a Le Tour was the ultimate dream bike!!
So exotic and fancy. Like a two-wheeled Ferrari.
🤤
I have both upright and drop bar setups for my brakeless fixed gear conversions, easy swap with a 6mm allen wrench.

That frameset went to a friend who turned it into a singlespeed dirt drop gravel bike. Those Panasonic made frames are outstanding and I always have one built up around the house. Current version is a chrome 1980 Voyageur 11.8, a white whale frameset I finally found in El Paso, TX this Spring which is a keeper after previously riding four other Schwinn Panasonics converted to fixed.

Yes. I did it.
The destructive kid (and his parents) a few doors down donated some parts.
A couple of ragged out kid-sized department store BMX rigs.
I scrounged the handlebars, amongst other things, then did the unthinkable.
Spray bombed a disgusting neon green set into a gaudy gloss banner red set, and bolted them onto my fixie!
The BMX bars are the same width as the straight bars, so why not try it?
Sacrilege? I think not.
It pleases my eye to gaze upon it.
The bike fits me now and is very comfortable.
Thoughts?

Before:

View attachment 175673

After:

View attachment 175674

View attachment 175676

And no, I do not ride it fixed.
I am old and not nearly cool enough.
Bmx bars look good, I had a schwinn 26" fat tire bike that I swapped straights for bmx bars and instantly looked better, bid harder to pull off on a skinny tyre bike but this looks good, down to personal taste, but most folks will agree that once you go into the realm of ape hangers on this type of bike you may get a resounding no, but some people like us older folks will need a nice sit up and beg position, I can ride drops but only for short rides as I have sciatica and although riding actually helps take the pressure off, after awhile the numbness kicks in

I dig it, especially like that you went with thick skinnies. Cool look. I don't understand fixies, so I don't mind if you coast
I'd like to claim that I was forward-thinking and visionary enough to put the skinnies on, but it came from the factory that way.
I'm irrepressibly drab and awful in real life.
Sad that.
😿

Last edited:
Bmx bars look good, I had a schwinn 26" fat tire bike that I swapped straights for bmx bars and instantly looked better, bid harder to pull off on a skinny tyre bike but this looks good, down to personal taste, but most folks will agree that once you go into the realm of ape hangers on this type of bike you may get a resounding no, but some people like us older folks will need a nice sit up and beg position, I can ride drops but only for short rides as I have sciatica and although riding actually helps take the pressure off, after awhile the numbness kicks in
Thanks.
And yes, drops make my neck creak and pop like a wooden British frigate.

i've always been drawn to them being a larger version of the bmx i grew up on. simple, single freestyle. haven't built one yet, but i'd love to. and would be freestyle instead of fixed gear. though where i live now, a single speed really isn't optimal. (too many decent size hills, ... and getting older)

Latest posts

Back