Virtue Ortho

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a neglected Virtue Bikes "Ortho" yesterday for a good price. I have read a couple threads here by kingfish254 and MazdaFlyer about their builds on this model and might have questions. I have ordered a new shifter assembly, brake pads and will replace all cables. I also ordered the original Velo leatherette grips. The original seat was trashed and the one on it now looks similar but not the same, might mess around with something lay back like MazdaFlyer did. I am also considering fenders and a retro looking headlamp. I am a capable mechanic but haven't done a lot with bikes since I was a kid so learning about the newer things out there and what fits what.
ortho.jpg
20211014_082023.jpg
20211014_082031.jpg

They are well made funky bikes. I've flipped a couple of them now.
Welcome to RRB. Have fun with the Ortho.

You can ride with a straight back, hence the name "Ortho". Plus it feels like 1890 when you're riding it.
Thanks. I looked it up (like I should have done in the first place)! :wink1:
Interesting company with cool retro (conventional) designs. Prices seem reasonable.
I assume they're Chinesium-made?

I have to admit the ortho isn't aesthetically pleasing to my eye, but proof is in the puddin'. I'd have to ride it!

No it definitely doesn't have the cruiser look that I love. I don't know where the frames are made but for the price I doubt they are made in the US, they probably get them made overseas and maybe they assemble them in San Diego?

Starting on the brakes first as the new shifter stuff hasn't arrived yet, new cables, cable housings and pads. What do you guys use to lube the caliper arms and the cable housings? Do I need to go buy stuff or can I use my white lithium grease that I already have? I also have all sorts of spray lubricants with the little red straws and even some white lithium spray in addition to the paste one.

Attachments

• on rack.jpg
    on rack.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Tektro.jpg
    Tektro.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 43
For a bit of history and why the frame design looks as it does do a search for Pederson Bikes.
They are comfortable riding bikes. Here is a Kustom I did for a Winter Rat Rod Build Off a few years back.
143AB8C7-2DFB-4B40-94CD-B8D3DFC0FC7E.jpeg

Last edited:
For a bit of history and why the frame design looks as it does do a search for Pederson Bikes.
They are comfortable riding bikes. Here is a Kustom I did for a Winter Rat Rod Build Off a few years back.

Yes I've read all about the Pederson and I've also read your threads on your build when I was lurking here, I was hoping you'd show up! Finished the brakes tonight, shifter and grips will be tomorrow. Then I'm thinking of a retro light setup and a leather bag, and maybe fenders. Your seat setup looks even more comfortable than the original. Which handlebars are those or are they the originals?
My chain is a bit loose and it looks like the wheel is already back as far as it will go, I guess I'll have to remove a link?

It seems like it would cost more to make that frame. The same angles would be easy to make and use high handlebars to get the same rider geometry. Less weight and the fork wouldn't need the long tube. Maybe there's a good reason.

virtue.jpg

Yes I've read all about the Pederson and I've also read your threads on your build when I was lurking here, I was hoping you'd show up! Finished the brakes tonight, shifter and grips will be tomorrow. Then I'm thinking of a retro light setup and a leather bag, and maybe fenders. Your seat setup looks even more comfortable than the original. Which handlebars are those or are they the originals?
My chain is a bit loose and it looks like the wheel is already back as far as it will go, I guess I'll have to remove a link?
The bars are the Metropolis bars with a threadless stem and adapter on a custom long fork stem. The saddle set up was meant to emulate the Pederson hammock seats. With the three speed hub you could also use larger rear cog.

The bars are the Metropolis bars with a threadless stem and adapter on a custom long fork stem. The saddle set up was meant to emulate the Pederson hammock seats. With the three speed hub you could also use larger rear cog.
Thanks, I checked out the Metropolis bar. Do you think my cog has worn making the chain slack or is is more likely chain stretch? If I push the wheel all the way back on both sides it is not centered in the frame although it tightens the chain. When I ease up on the cog side to center it I get slack. Hoping I can remove a link and not have it end up being too small but if the cog is worn, if that's a common thing to happen, I'll order a new one.

Cool, thanks for posting that. There's one on ebay right now for only US $4,000:wondering:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264817506269
It’s been listed and repeatedly relisted at differing prices for a couple of years. Notice where it would ship from. It’s a reproduction. Several builders have used the frame design and made good replicas.

Last edited:
Finished with the new brakes, shifter and grips. I rode 12 miles and wasn't crazy about the handlebars, in order to make them high enough for me I had used a quill extension however due to the angle it brought the grips too close to my body plus they felt too narrow with an uncomfortable wrist angle. I got a different quill to push the bar away from me and a different bar that didn't drop down and is slightly wider, mounted it so it rises up instead. Now I don't need the quill extension and there is plenty of room in front of me, much more comfortable. First 2 pics are before, second 2 are after.
We have an amazing place here called Bicas (Bicycle Inter-Community Art & Salvage) which is run by volunteers and they have thousands of used bike parts, bikes for sale and you can bring in your bike and work on it in the shop where they have all the tools. If you need help they will supply a mechanic for a very nominal fee and they also have classes and youth programs to help keep kids out of trouble. I brought home 2 handlebars and a stem for $12.

Attachments

• bar before1.jpg
    bar before1.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 31
  • ber before2.jpg
    ber before2.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 33
  • bar after1.jpg
    bar after1.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 36
  • bar after 2.jpg
    bar after 2.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 38
Picked up a set of used chrome fenders in excellent condition at the Bicas today for $4. Had to make a couple brackets. Real happy with the look, added a small leather bag too. Need a small reflector for the rear fender and a vintage looking headlight
20211028_160923.jpg
20211028_160949.jpg
20211028_160933.jpg
20211028_161401.jpg
20211028_161409.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back