*MBBO/ORBO* - So, who's in and for what category??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is missing one of the requirements for muscle, unless you are planning apes or a steering wheel or something crazy for the bars. Gotta be 2 of 3: different wheel size, polo or banana seat, and/or muscle appropriate bars. Are we running a BMX category? You might be able to wiggle it in there with a bit of creativity, but knowing your style, I'd say you should aim for the Off Road category, make it some type of trail blaster. Smaller front wheel would definitely make for interesting roll-over, but I don't see it as a deal breaker. Why not carry cargo off road? Somebody gotta bring snacks for the finish line. Or some type of repair vehicle... This has potential🤔

It is missing one of the requirements for muscle, unless you are planning apes or a steering wheel or something crazy for the bars. Gotta be 2 of 3: different wheel size, polo or banana seat, and/or muscle appropriate bars. Are we running a BMX category? You might be able to wiggle it in there with a bit of creativity, but knowing your style, I'd say you should aim for the Off Road category, make it some type of trail blaster. Smaller front wheel would definitely make for interesting roll-over, but I don't see it as a deal breaker. Why not carry cargo off road? Somebody gotta bring snacks for the finish line. Or some type of repair vehicle... This has potential🤔
I agree, it will be more of an off road when I’m done. It will be more of a klunker truck. I considered taking a Space liner frame and modifying it and calling it the Freightliner. May do it if all goes well with this one. I have frame and fork components on the way here.

Last edited:
Are we there yet?

DJxpZtvW0AEwkrl.jpg
Are we there yet?

"It will be more of a klunker truck."

That's a new category of bike you've come up with! The Kluck, like a St. Bernard, bringing "necessities" to those in need out in the wild.
yes. The main carrier will be a radio Flyer wagon tub, then inserts can be rotated for different needs. Bar, fishing, picnic, bar, bar…and finally, Bar.

Has anyone ever seen one of those crossbars as posted by MetalC used on apes? Gotta follow the rules about muscle, but wanna push the envelope as far as I can in the MX direction
My "muscle" bars will have a crossbar. Unconventional yes, but well within the spirit of muscle. Apes, wheels, or other "strange" bars in general

Well, after meeting up with my fabricator friend on Monday, I've decided I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the ring for the Muscle Bike Build Off again this year. Here's my contender: a slightly-bent Murray Eliminator muscle bike I bought off a buddy of mine down in OKC for $10.
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_2.jpg

I slapped this thing together last month for the Muscle Bike Drags at Buddy's Pedal Fest. I didn't win most of the races I participated in, but at least it didn't fall apart as I rode it around!
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_riding_2.jpg

As cool as it was in its rusty, crusty, slapped-together state, I knew I wanted to build this bike up right some day. So, I guess this is as good a time as any to build this bike the way I want. I'm not going to go too crazy with the modifications as I did during the last MBBO. I got a few trick mods planned, but I'm only going to reveal one of them right now: a 26" Monark springer fork!
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_monark_fork_1.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_monark_fork_2.jpg

I just mocked up this fork a month ago, and I've already run into an issue with it: the lock nuts that hold the dropouts in place hit the spokes on the front wheel.
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_monark_fork_3.jpg

I've tried assembling the fork differently to combat the issue, but I think the best solution would be to make some new dropouts that kick the front wheel forward an inch or two.

I'm really looking forward to putting one of my "bucket list" bikes together, especially with my new friend who knows a thing or two about fabricating cool things on wheels. Odds are he'll be doing most of the welding/fabricating this project needs, but I'm going to use this as an opportunity to practice welding/fabricating myself. Dude was kind enough to teach me a little welding after helping me with a previous project, and I'd be more than happy to learn some more! Hopefully, I'll have a custom piece or two on this bike I can proudly say I made or modified myself!

I've tried assembling the fork differently to combat the issue, but I think the best solution would be to make some new dropouts that kick the front wheel forward an inch or two.
Any way you could flip the bolt? The head looks flatter than the nut, could gain you a bunch of clearance, Clarence!
Just looked back at your pictures, my idea would be ugly as heck if it even works.

Any way you could flip the bolt? The head looks flatter than the nut, could gain you a bunch of clearance, Clarence!
Just looked back at your pictures, my idea would be ugly as heck if it even works.
Sadly, no. The bolts have 2 different diameters. They're wider near the head, and can only fit through the dropouts and washers. The actual fork parts have a narrower hole, where only the threaded part of the bolts can fit. If I can make some new dropouts that use the narrower bolt size, I might be able to install some different bolts the way you suggested, or I can use the existing bolts, but allow enough clearance for the spokes.

Latest posts

Back