CCM KING COBRA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After finishing the seat, I decided to build a custom sissy bar back rest to match. I don't usually put back rests on my bikes because its hard to find one that matches the seat colour and the shapes and sizes sometimes seem so bulky and out of proportion. I decided to start with an mdf base that I cut out on the CNC at work. I pocketed the back side to accept a CNC cut backer piece that I made out of some high density plastic. I have a whole skid of the stuff and this is the first time I have actually used it!! The pictures of the sissy bar pad I made here are of the second try. On the first attempt, I painted the squares first and then tried to wrap the vinyl around the curve. It just didn't work out because the vinyl bunched up around the bend and made the checker pattern look terrible around the edges. Some would have let it pass, but I'm a stickler for details. I didn't even take pictures of it because I was that displeased with the result. So, I ripped it off and decided to stretch the vinyl on first and then paint the squares after. This was still a difficult task, but again, the upholstery spray adhesive that I used really helped me pull and stretch the vinyl around the tight curve at the top. I ended up with a much nicer result. It was still a pain to apply the vinyl checkered mask because I had to manually trim some of the pieces that bent around the edge.

Once it was painted, I installed a couple more brass inserts for the attachment of the pipe clamps. Worked like a charm. These are the same inserts that I use for my reproduction sturmey archer shifter handles. The only thing that I would mention here is that it's important not to go too heavy on the vinyl spray paint. My results on the backrest were not quite as crisp as the seat. Some of the paint bled under the vinyl mask because I was a little generous with the paint. I should have done a couple lighter coats. Still looks great though.

IMG_7667.JPG
IMG_7670.JPG
IMG_7671.JPG
IMG_7672.JPG
IMG_7710.JPG
IMG_7749.JPG
IMG_7750.JPG
IMG_7751.JPG
IMG_7752.JPG
IMG_7753.JPG
IMG_7754.JPG
IMG_7755.JPG
IMG_7756.JPG
IMG_7758.JPG
IMG_7759.JPG
IMG_7760.JPG

IMG_7762.JPG

Very nice Jay!!! How many hours do you have into that?....End result=well worth it 😎👍👍

Very nice Jay!!! How many hours do you have into that?....End result=well worth it 😎👍👍
Good question. Probably a few hours just peeling the squares on the mask for both attempts. It’s certainly an exercise in patience.

Well,

For the love of building bikes, I have stormed my way through this build and I'm hoping to start a second if and when my frame gets back from paint. Thanks to @Cheesy for the heads up on a bike in MTL that had a nice set of bars for me. I was able to have another buddy grab it for me and ship me some of the parts. The upgrade is perfect!! These cobra bars are hard to come by in any condition and this new set is practically NOS.

IMG_7796.JPG
IMG_7797.JPG
IMG_7798.JPG

This step happened a while bike, but forgot to post it here. I always design and print my own decals, and sometimes cut my chain guard decals on the vinyl cutter. For the Cobra, I already had the artwork, I just had to add the word King and modify the design a little in Adobe Illustrator. I added the checkerboard on the front and back to help tie the guard in with the seat and fork decal.

Untitled-1.jpg
IMG_7669.JPG

I really like the shimano overload tube setup and because I still have a few left I decided to make full use of it. I don't know how other guys are doing it, but I always have to cut and make custom cables for these. I have the cables that attach to the spring inside the tube, but the other end needs to fit the shifter and have the cable housing and adjuster attached. I use a piece of maple with the correct diameter hole drilled into. I've been using this same board for some time now and it works like a charm. I fray the end of the cable a little and melt some solder around the end. A little filing when it's done and I'm good to go. Haven't had one break on me yet.

IMG_7806.JPG
IMG_7807.JPG
IMG_7808.JPG
IMG_7811.JPG
IMG_7812.JPG

I got the bars put on and was always thinking that I would wrap them with bar tape. The original cobras didn't have this, but I have seen it done and for this style of bar it sometimes looks great. I don't know if it the colour, but I wrapped them 3 times with black and then even tried white. I didn't like, so I scrapped it and went with grips. I even tried leaning the bars forward a bit so the handles were parallel to the frame. That decision eventually lost out too, as I decided to go with the upright position that is correct for the original cobras.

IMG_7804.JPG
IMG_7805.JPG

Finally, I added the cables and brakes which is a pretty standard detail that I won't bother you with. I am pretty particular about cable length though, so I will mention that I spent a bit of time on this. I always like the lines of the cables to complement the flow of the bike. This is an important detail that I feel some builders overlook.

Messed around a little bit with accessories. I threw on the 7" jumbo reflector. These are kind of a novelty and I'm not a huge fan of them, but I think it fits nicely on this bike because it is such a large bicycle. I tried a black and white radio as well and even cut up one of my fork decals to add the checkerboard to it. I think it suited the bike, but I still liked the bike better without it. I then opted for the chrome headlight. The first one I installed had the yellow side markers, and I eventually switched it out for one without.

I also ordered a fine tip paint marker to add the red line to the back tire. The front was already red and I was pleased that the back matched the front perfectly . It actually looks a little faded which makes it look more original than some of the lines I've seen people do. The trick is to get the fine tip, so that you can get it in that space without getting paint everywhere.

IMG_7815.JPG
IMG_7817.JPG
IMG_7818.JPG
IMG_7819.JPG

IMG_7820.JPG
IMG_7821.JPG

IMG_7822.JPG

Photo shoot next......

Last edited:
Well, I checked the weather. I finished the bike late Friday night and the forecast for Saturday was cold but sunny. Despite staying up late to finish the bike, I got up early to catch the sun before I had to pick up my daughter. I drove to on of my go to spots since I didn't have much time to scout new back drops. I got there and everything was chained up. NO ACCESS.... I drove a little further and stumbled upon a decent spot. I'm always looking for a wall with some character and patina, and the right lighting. I want the picture to suggest a story. Where was the kid before he parked his bike here? Where is he going afterward? Then I set up the bike and take about 100 pictures, hoping that a few will match my vision when I get home to the computer. It's hard to tell sometimes on the tiny screen of my phone if I'm getting all the details I'm after. Anyone watching will wonder who this bike fanatic is that's adjusting the pedals and position of the valve caps before each shot.

Anyway, It's lucky I got out, because today (Sunday), there is snow everywhere!!! ...?!?!?!?

Here are my two favourite shots! Way too early for the finished build thread, but I was excited to share. Keep in mind that this is a 26/20 muscle bike with a 5' sissy. Without any real context, it kinda looks like a smaller muscle bike in the pic.

pic_1.jpg

pic_3.jpg

Well,

For the love of building bikes, I have stormed my way through this build and I'm hoping to start a second if and when my frame gets back from paint. Thanks to @Cheesy for the heads up on a bike in MTL that had a nice set of bars for me. I was able to have another buddy grab it for me and ship me some of the parts. The upgrade is perfect!! These cobra bars are hard to come by in any condition and this new set is practically NOS.

View attachment 179429View attachment 179430View attachment 179431

This step happened a while bike, but forgot to post it here. I always design and print my own decals, and sometimes cut my chain guard decals on the vinyl cutter. For the Cobra, I already had the artwork, I just had to add the word King and modify the design a little in Adobe Illustrator. I added the checkerboard on the front and back to help tie the guard in with the seat and fork decal.

View attachment 179455View attachment 179454

I really like the shimano overload tube setup and because I still have a few left I decided to make full use of it. I don't know how other guys are doing it, but I always have to cut and make custom cables for these. I have the cables that attach to the spring inside the tube, but the other end needs to fit the shifter and have the cable housing and adjuster attached. I use a piece of maple with the correct diameter hole drilled into. I've been using this same board for some time now and it works like a charm. I fray the end of the cable a little and melt some solder around the end. A little filing when it's done and I'm good to go. Haven't had one break on me yet.

View attachment 179434View attachment 179435View attachment 179436View attachment 179439View attachment 179440

I got the bars put on and was always thinking that I would wrap them with bar tape. The original cobras didn't have this, but I have seen it done and for this style of bar it sometimes looks great. I don't know if it the colour, but I wrapped them 3 times with black and then even tried white. I didn't like, so I scrapped it and went with grips. I even tried leaning the bars forward a bit so the handles were parallel to the frame. That decision eventually lost out too, as I decided to go with the upright position that is correct for the original cobras.

View attachment 179441View attachment 179442

Finally, I added the cables and brakes which is a pretty standard detail that I won't bother you with. I am pretty particular about cable length though, so I will mention that I spent a bit of time on this. I always like the lines of the cables to complement the flow of the bike. This is an important detail that I feel some builders overlook.

Messed around a little bit with accessories. I threw on the 7" jumbo reflector. These are kind of a novelty and I'm not a huge fan of them, but I think it fits nicely on this bike because it is such a large bicycle. I tried a black and white radio as well and even cut up one of my fork decals to add the checkerboard to it. I think it suited the bike, but I still liked the bike better without it. I then opted for the chrome headlight. The first one I installed had the yellow side markers, and I eventually switched it out for one without.

I also ordered a fine tip paint marker to add the red line to the back tire. The front was already red and I was pleased that the back matched the front perfectly . It actually looks a little faded which makes it look more original than some of the lines I've seen people do. The trick is to get the fine tip, so that you can get it in that space without getting paint everywhere.

View attachment 179443View attachment 179444View attachment 179445View attachment 179446
View attachment 179447View attachment 179448
View attachment 179449

Photo shoot next......
Glad I could help out Bud.. as you've done so much for me!! Bike looks absolutely amazing!!!

Well, I checked the weather. I finished the bike late Friday night and the forecast for Saturday was cold but sunny. Despite staying up late to finish the bike, I got up early to catch the sun before I had to pick up my daughter. I drove to on of my go to spots since I didn't have much time to scout new back drops. I got there and everything was chained up. NO ACCESS.... I drove a little further and stumbled upon a decent spot. I'm always looking for a wall with some character and patina, and the right lighting. I want the picture to suggest a story. Where was the kid before he parked his bike here? Where is he going afterward? Then I set up the bike and take about 100 pictures, hoping that a few will match my vision when I get home to the computer. It's hard to tell sometimes on the tiny screen of my phone if I'm getting all the details I'm after. Anyone watching will wonder who this bike fanatic is that's adjusting the pedals and position of the valve caps before each shot.

Anyway, It's lucky I got out, because today (Sunday), there is snow everywhere!!! ...?!?!?!?

Here are my two favourite shots! Way too early for the finished build thread, but I was excited to share. Keep in mind that this is a 26/20 muscle bike with a 5' sissy. Without any real context, it kinda looks like a smaller muscle bike in the pic.

View attachment 179452
View attachment 179451
Wowzers Jay !!! Your vision and creativity always astounds me!!!!! .... And this is no exception!!!! Absolutely love it, and all the fine details!!!😎💯🔥🎯😁✔️

So much valuable information in this build as well...... I Can't count the times I have required custom length cables, but didn't have rhe know how..... greatly appreciated!!!! ....Thanks for sharing!!!

I need to work on my photography skills aa well..... you always seem to find the perfect back drop 🤟😎🤟

This bike totally rocks. Great execution and use of technology available. makes me want to build a muscle bike.

Well,

View attachment 179429View attachment 179430View attachment 179431

View attachment 179455View attachment 179454

View attachment 179434View attachment 179435View attachment 179436View attachment 179439View attachment 179440

View attachment 179441View attachment 179442

View attachment 179443View attachment 179444View attachment 179445View attachment 179446
View attachment 179447View attachment 179448
View attachment 179449

Photo shoot next......
I love the look of your ride. I remember one similar by CCM from the 60s know as a Checkered Charger. It came in a single speed Black and White or 3 speed Red and white look..

Great job on getting your built done !!

As always JN, you have shown your advanced skill set and your love of muscle bikes in this build! And the ability to try something, like that rad radio, that are really cool but just don't fit the look; shows your attention to detail. The chrome headlight def fits the bill.

Again, another enjoyable and educational bike build @JNOACK !

I really appreciate when someone takes the time to write a comment about one of my builds. I get so much joy out of building these and the fact that people like what I'm doing is priceless. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be here in this forum for a very long time!! Now..... patiently waiting for the next frame. My mind is 3 builds ahead.... stay tuned!

Latest posts

Back