Caps!ze (MBBO)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20211126_135251.jpg

I committed to making a set of bars. I cut up a set of path bike bars and mtb bars, and joined them up. This was the final part needed before a test ride :dance2:
So out of the shed, up and down the driveway a few times. Made me feel like a little kid, laughing the entire time. Thing rides great. With not much weight over the front wheel, it's so much fun:21:

Back into the shed for brakes and things.

20211126_224238.jpg
I knew I had the perfect set of levers somewhere for it, but could not find them.
By chance, I located them in the bottom of my citric acid bath. Whoops!
Only been soaking for about 4 weeks hahaha.

I cleaned up the welds on the bars and added some grip tape to cover the added sections.
My mate of wise words taught me "if you f### it, make a feature of it", works well here.

Next up was my first attempt at installing v brake mounts. Made a little jig, and successfully welding them on. Perfect. :thumbsup:
Except I fitted them back to front:headbang:
V brake arms wouldn't work. But I did have a set of cantilevers:39:
Problem solved :thumbsup: We have brakes.
20211126_224343.jpg

Also added the shifter for the IGH, on the stem worked out to be the perfect spot. For now at least. I will tidy the cables up a little better, but this will get me mobile.
20211126_224354.jpg

Next job is the sissy bar.
Then it will be time for a decent cruise to find any issues. Exciting times

Shifter placement is cool, and there nothing wrong with chainstay mounted brakes as long as you are not going in the mud
The issue was the spring location holes on the brake posts. Facing outwards, instead of inwards, and would not locate the v brake arm springs. I could get away with it on the canties as they had a load more coils on the springs. Oh well, learn by your mistakes.

View attachment 179297
I committed to making a set of bars. I cut up a set of path bike bars and mtb bars, and joined them up. This was the final part needed before a test ride :dance2:
So out of the shed, up and down the driveway a few times. Made me feel like a little kid, laughing the entire time. Thing rides great. With not much weight over the front wheel, it's so much fun:21:

Back into the shed for brakes and things.
Utterly butterly insane, where can I buy one? :bigsmile:

Changed out the stem for a higher one, think it looks better. The drop stem wasn't flowing with the bike.
Plus a sissy bar bent up for the rear.
And a broken shifter cable, hahaha.
All else is good. Rides awesome. Time to strip for paint View attachment 179397View attachment 179398
That's how you bring the funk. So you ditched the road bike stem. In a more relaxed riding position as well.

Wait what, did you use just use a shifter set for a IGH and brake? Well alright.
Be careful using a friction shifter with that hub. I do approve low safety however:thumbsup:

Tight!

Last edited:
That's how you bring the funk. So you ditched the road bike stem. In a more relaxed riding position as well.

Wait what, did you use just use a shifter set for a IGH and brake? Well alright.
Be careful using a friction shifter with that hub. I do approve low safety however:thumbsup:

Tight!
Hoping the console/surround can work as a stop/locator for the IGH without causing myself issues there. Trial and error.

Hoping the console/surround can work as a stop/locator for the IGH without causing myself issues there. Trial and error.
Very nice indeed! Some kind of rudimentary detent would do.
Close up of my SA stick shifter. Pull length is greater between 2 & 3rd gear. It's in 1st... don't mind the mess.
Sashifter.jpg

So much to like front to back. Seat looks great black. The redline knobby and front tires work perfectly along with the bars and fork. What about a redline along the seat piping? love it man!

Hmm cafe racer style seat is cool. Sissy bar doesn't quite match the cafe look though. I'm not sure why but I think it's just because I've never seen one on a cafe racer. Maybe the vertical line is taking away from the horizontal flow? Keep tweaking, we've got plenty of time.

Carl.

I was thinking the same thing

But it's your build @GTHOtrod 👍 You do you!
But that's the muscle bike look. There's nothing cafe racer about this. The seat happens to resemble that style. The type muscle bike's seat that was copied from is not common in the USA. Some of us may not be used to seeing it.
The earlier straight sissy bar was kinda wack. The kick in it made all the difference:thumbsup:
Someone else's idea of a unique sissy bar.
screamer.jpg

Latest posts

Back