TRICEP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my new front wheel- laced around a 48Volt, 1000 Watt motor. Removed rust from the original chrome rear wheels; then I mounted a 1.75 tire on the front and 2.125s on the rears.
20211204_162700.jpg

Spent a couple of fun hours fiddling with it today. I thought I'd have to do some trickery with the fork to make it work, but managed to avoid it. The fork and tires give it a stance that's pleasing to me. The fresh yellow paint kinda makes it pop. The one-piece crank set cleaned up nicely with the help of oxalic acid. Still ruminating on the saddle, bars and rear end treatment.
20211205_155544.jpg

Then, after much thought, I felt the best spot for the battery was the center of the steel housing that covers the hub and cogs. I bolted the battery mount to the flat steel, and it's super solid.
View attachment 180361
Quick thought: Does anything speak against mounting it underneath the transmission box? Like that you wouldn't loos any valuable "trunk space"

.... or you could 'box it in' with a shroud and have your cargo platform / holder / basket whatever elevated above the battery.

This trike looks cool! All your choices work well together so far. You didn't mention the 'pan saddle', but I like it's style. Maybe a foam pad wrapped in rattlesnake skin faux leather? You know, cuz.... rattlesnakes.... :nod: :grin:

I am forced to take a break, since the finishing steps all involve the handlebars, which I ordered and are on the way. I did remember I had one moon-eye decal, which happens to be the perfect size and shape for a head badge, so I slapped it on.
20211207_112921.jpg

20211207_113020.jpg

See y'all soon. I'll work on our Christmas cards while waiting for my handlebars.

.... or you could 'box it in' with a shroud and have your cargo platform / holder / basket whatever elevated above the battery.

This trike looks cool! All your choices work well together so far. You didn't mention the 'pan saddle', but I like it's style. Maybe a foam pad wrapped in rattlesnake skin faux leather? You know, cuz.... rattlesnakes.... :nod: :grin:
I'm trying to give it a minimalist, pared down, racer look, so I want to keep it simple back there, maybe a strip of wood or diamond plate running parallel to each side of the battery, to hint at a cargo platform. I forgot about the saddle. Thanks for bringing it up. Ruff Cycles had a sale a couple of years ago and I bought it in a weaker moment. I hadn't found a use for it until now. Upholstery may come later. I fear I will soon find out how they came up with the name "Ruff."

I spent 5 hours yesterday writing Christmas cards. I always dread the thought, but when I start doing it, it makes me feel connected to my old friends and family who I haven't seen in so long, and that connection makes me feel so good. Getting that major task done gave me time to play with Tricep, which is quite close to the finish line.
I'll admit it: the mount I devised for hanging the controller seemed just fine to me, BUT it was too far back, and the wires would not connect. The only way around it was to bring the bag right up close to the seatpost. For this to look right, I needed to hang the bag from a shorter post. Done! I really like the tight, snug fit it now displays. I think it looks much better, but only because the wires wouldn't connect!
20211214_083428.jpg

Last edited:
I then thought that the post the bag hangs off needed some kind of finishing at it's end. I've been saving a vintage "ruby" reflector for some special purpose, and I found that purpose today. I drilled a hole in an Ace Hardware cap, and found that there was way too much of a gap from the cap to the reflector. I couldn't find a nice thick washer to fill the gap, but did find a caged bearing that fit just right. I think you ratters will appreciate this touch.
20211214_142801.jpg
20211214_142825.jpg

Latest posts

Back