Off-Roadster (ORBO)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was still chilly. Wind Hill was about 35 degrees on the uphill. Got a lot of cool pics along the way. A bit of video (I think ). Picked up a friend and Stopped for food on the way back. Will post up after processing video and such...

20211227_104233.jpg

Glad you got it sorted.

I'm impressed, you're going with a 47T. Unless the rear cog is over 24T that's over 50 gear inches, and carrying weight. For the hills in my area that would be difficult to sustain. The street I live on has the word 'hill' in it. I've gone 50mph down my hill for pizza. The trek back :shake::whew: Athletes who hold events through the town struggle. Can't go in any direction without facing a hill. My location promotes muscle building. A reason my legs are well developed. Sometimes I take a young newcomer along. They remark I'm hardly winded at the tops. Of course, I ride all the time. Wish I could ride with more guys in the 50+ cat on the older stuff. I use the oldest bikes in the group. Predominantly modern road & MTB in the county. Everyone accepts me though. Good at following rules, and I'm FAF.

Ok, realized after posting you're using a kick back... still impressed.
I took some video on the downhill.

With 47/22 on the gearing this kickback , it has about the perfect gear for a lot of what I ride. The kickback makes it easier, but some trails I ride require a push-up, northern what you are on. ( except electrics ).

Usually non sitting hill climb are a right left right coast, left right left coast, repeat until at the top.

That hill you live on sounds brutal. I have a similar one by my house that I use for warmup before I head north when riding from the house. When certain friends come over for a ride, I take the alternate easier route, that's a mile longer for them.

I took some video on the downhill.

With 47/22 on the gearing this kickback , it has about the perfect gear for a lot of what I ride. The kickback makes it easier, but some trails I ride require a push-up, northern what you are on. ( except electrics ).

Usually non sitting hill climb are a right left right coast, left right left coast, repeat until at the top.

That hill you live on sounds brutal. I have a similar one by my house that I use for warmup before I head north when riding from the house. When certain friends come over for a ride, I take the alternate easier route, that's a mile longer for them.
Haven't had much success with IGH coasters off road. Destroyed a Nexus 4. The SRAM and SA kick backs seem strong. I used a freewheel version for light off roading for a while. Odd shifting for me though.

Some of our roads are closed the entire winter because people have died. I happen to live on a monster at a landing in the middle. Years ago the locals used to hill climb all sort of vehicles. On occasion a hot car will light'em up at the base and try for the hill at night. I count the time from my studio it's so close. Hate when they wake me for nothing. I try every chance to chase elite riders who tackle the hill. It goes on for miles. The ending is a roller coaster down, fell off bikes there plenty of times.
Pic of just a baby hill. Can't tell from the pic how steep it really is.
babyhill.jpg
The road that intersects way at the bottom is where I reach 50. I even take drag fork bikes down. Almost .... myself the 1st time doing that.

Really enjoyed watching you build this one. Looks stunning. Fantastic photography as well, bravo.

...Wish I could ride with more guys in the 50+ cat on the older stuff. I use the oldest bikes in the group. Predominantly modern road & MTB in the county. Everyone accepts me though. Good at following rules, and I'm FAF.
I wish there were even 40+ers around t
Here that rode the old stuff. A couple years ago, I surprised a guy on a $7k bike at the top of a run that I had just worked my way up. He had passed me in the middle of the run on the way up, on a 3G wheel back then also with the KT2 kickback. He said something to the effect that a cruiser didn't belong there.

I passed him on the way down. Stopped in the middle to give the hands a break, and passed him again on the way to the car. In the lot he asked to ride it, and just loved it. Was a good day :)

Haven't had much success with IGH coasters off road. Destroyed a Nexus 4. The SRAM and SA kick backs seem strong. I used a freewheel version for light off roading for a while. Odd shifting for me though.

Some of our roads are closed the entire winter because people have died. I happen to live on a monster at a landing in the middle. Years ago the locals used to hill climb all sort of vehicles. On occasion a hot car will light'em up at the base and try for the hill at night. I count the time from my studio it's so close. Hate when they wake me for nothing. I try every chance to chase elite riders who tackle the hill. It goes on for miles. The ending is a roller coaster down, fell off bikes there plenty of times.
Pic of just a baby hill. Can't tell from the pic how steep it really is.
View attachment 181605
The road that intersects way at the bottom is where I reach 50. I even take drag fork bikes down. Almost .... myself the 1st time doing that.

Really enjoyed watching you build this one. Looks stunning. Fantastic photography as well, bravo.
I have had a lot of luck with these KT2 2 speed kick backs. They don't get as hot as the bendix, and they never miss a shift. My last one that is on the old 40 rollfast frame still acts brand new. The last time I had it apart it looked new inside and none of the grease wasnt burnt. I put over 1500 trail miles on it over 3 years.

Growing up, we had a lot of roads that weren't plowed. We would take the BMX out on the snowmobile pack for our winter rides. I don't think there are even snow plows that the city owns here.

Thank you for the kind words. I glad you like it.

So, the video I thought I took yesterday turned out to be a 7 second, upside down time lapse of about 4-5 miles of trail. Each frame a different spot in the trail because I was mrolling fast. Didn't edit it into separate pics yet.

Only almost hit one Yucca along the way, and one cactus needle stuck between the toes. And a bit of muscle soreness today.

There was a storm rolling over the hill when I started out. Kept an eye on it the whole time. Some of the peaks show t
he shadow of it as it moved east.
20211227_104511.jpg

Mid point
20211227_110503.jpg

Back at the car
20211227_120659.jpg

Rode from mustang connector to mustang loop.
20211227_103212.jpg

20211227_104357.jpg
20211227_104857.jpg

To late night, just about to the water troughs.
20211227_105908.jpg

20211227_105947.jpg
20211227_110946.jpg
20211227_111046.jpg

Then around the mountain back to the mustang loop and then to the car.
20211227_111104.jpg

20211227_111218.jpg

20211227_111251.jpg

Added a couple details last week. Bar ends.
20211227_111529.jpg

Rubber on the tank screws.
20211227_111548.jpg

I think the Pics turned out great. Had to include one selfie.
20211227_110427.jpg

Rock on, my man! Looking forward to the post ride photos.
EDIT: That should read; "Great post ride photos!". Sweet bike, and awesome scenery. Looks like you are experiencing the same cold spell we have down here in Mesa. Woke up to 34°, and a cold wind. Back home it's -13° though, so it's all relative. 😃.

How does this one ride / handle vs some of you previous klunker builds?

Last edited:
Rock on, my man! Looking forward to the post ride photos.
EDIT: That should read; "Great post ride photos!". Sweet bike, and awesome scenery. Looks like you are experiencing the same cold spell we have down here in Mesa. Woke up to 34°, and a cold wind. Back home it's -13° though, so it's all relative. 😃.

How does this one ride / handle vs some of you previous klunker builds?
Thank You Lee! Was going to ride yesterday, but played pool instead. Knockn the balls around was much warmer for sure.

Mesa gets temperatures quite similar.

Warmer last week than this week. The cold snap hit 30 yesterday and 26 this morning this morning when I got up. Winter should be over by the end of the month. Spring starts in February.

Can't wait for the next warm up, can ride without that burnt lung feel like when it's under 40.

Your bike in the foreground looks like a painting, a masterpiece! The blue painted feathers on the sprocket is brilliant! Handsome guy, both:wink1:

Well, I got 2 muntz to get within striking range... I'm searching all over this place for luck cos' my skillz just ran away! Just playin'. I'll see you at the finish:cool2:

I agree, that Girvin Fastrax is pretty 😎

Love that episode of southpark!!! Right on.

Wanting to use the Girvin. It is a 1-1/8 steer tube.
  • Will have to shim it. - could be a problem.
  • Will have to fix it- not a big problem.
  • Will have to thread it- not a problem.
  • Will have to Make sure it fits thru the head tube - fingers crossed 🤞.

Now for the pain of the decision.
View attachment 176856
Assuming it fits, I will need to cut off the brake bosses. The 57mm wheels won't fit. The bosses are exactly 2mm narrower than the wheel. Might also have to grind part of the horseshoe over the tire as well.

The Girvin fork is my choice. If it fits thru the head tube, this bike may well become that forks permanent home.
There are adapter kits to fit that fork to a frame set up for 1" steer tube, I have seen the kits for about $60.

Your bike in the foreground looks like a painting, a masterpiece! The blue painted feathers on the sprocket is brilliant! Handsome guy, both:wink1:

Well, I got 2 muntz to get within striking range... I'm searching all over this place for luck cos' my skillz just ran away! Just playin'. I'll see you at the finish:cool2:
Thank you for the kind words @hamppea . See you at the finish.

There are adapter kits to fit that fork to a frame set up for 1" steer tube, I have seen the kits for about $60.
Thank You,, I agree,, there are adapter kits for the bearings. With the $15 headset that I used, I Ended up making my own kit here. Especially with the conversion from non to threaded 1-1/8 on the fork, which requires a big Die and tooling to spin it.

Will definitely look at the kits on the next one to see if they meet my requirements.

Installed another detail, was a pain on the front wheel.
20220128_101819.jpg

I had picked up the standard MTB liners (purple) but the only covered about 2/3 of the tread. These 2XL liners covered the full tread and about 1/8 of the sidewall on each side.

With about 60 off road miles on this build I have had 3 flats. One from cactus on the trail, 2 from riding on the street to get to/from the trail and picking up a goatheads along the way in town.
20220109_103233.jpg

A pic or two from a ride a couple weekends ago on the east bench of the valley.
20220109_103210.jpg

Downtown Las Vegas in the distant background.

Great job on the bike. What’s not to love. Great to see it getting some trail time.
Thank you Palepainter, It rides like a BMX. its been een really fun to take it out.
Seconded! Trail Time...I may have to do some driving in the very near future to get some.
I'm lucky to live in the west where there are trails that are on the edge of town.

Some of the funeral trails are a short car ride away.. The ones on Mt. Charleston are about 45 min away. Red Rock/Blue diamond trails are also 45 min away. Boulder city trails are an hour away.

Look what I just saw in someone's parking lot video at OBC Las Vegas. I was like,,,,, Hey wait a minute, I think I know that bike... so I rewound it and got this screenshot for ya.

1649554896300.png

Latest posts

Back