Knife buildoff challenge discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry I didn't get around to finishing my low background steel knife fellas. Maybe next year.

sorry I didn't get around to finishing my low background steel knife fellas. Maybe next year.
I figure we'll probably keep the build thread around for people to make updates post-competition.

I should have time to get back to mine in a few months to finish of the stuff I couldn't get to.
If you look at my final entry pics, you can see I didn't even erase the pencil marks I made to plot out my decorative touches :bigsmile:

It's also why you only see one side of the knife, the other side really is covered in pencil lines

Had a little time. Started over on the sheath using actual leatherworking tools. Much better results, with less effort.

Went with the orange leather this time. With the padauk darkening up, looks better now. Adjusted the design so the securing tie now works as intended. Still need some clean up, and to put some kind of loop, ring, or clip on to attach it to the user’s pants.

This leather is a little more supple than I’d like. Anyone know any good hardening techniques for leather?

DDEB3BC6-D7C2-4E3C-BAD7-7E1FB699168D.jpeg

Had a little time. Started over on the sheath using actual leatherworking tools. Much better results, with less effort.

Went with the orange leather this time. With the padauk darkening up, looks better now. Adjusted the design so the securing tie now works as intended. Still need some clean up, and to put some kind of loop, ring, or clip on to attach it to the user’s pants.

This leather is a little more supple than I’d like. Anyone know any good hardening techniques for leather?

View attachment 162414
I've seen leather wrapped grips on bikes where shellac was used to finish them. I handled the grips and they were pretty 'hard', solid.

Might be a little harder than I’m looking for.

I want it to be like an old leather boot. Right now it’s like a nice soft sofa.

Was gonna try soaking it in water and drying it. Seems like that would be a thing.

View attachment 162414
Nice.
does it hang nicely from your belt?

Surprised at a friction folder for EDC. That's dedication. I was just thinking about this build comp yesterday. It was a cool little event. I want a tanto.
Here's my EDC.
Buck Kingsman

images (2).jpeg

Or for a little more discretion, Gerber STL (Strong Thin Light)
87ec329dda073bcd4b5130315402f813.jpg

That Gerber has gotten past multiple pat downs, security checks. That became a requirement when I had to leave an heirloom blade at with the bouncers at a Motorhead concert.

The knife build off was a fun little event. Old Uncle rides in my pickup and occasionally on my belt. I accidentally cut thru the sheath stitches and so I need to repair that before I carry it again.
I fully intend to make another knife similar to Old Uncle but smaller. Old Uncle actually turned out bigger than I had planned.
to Mr Thundrrr comment about security— I have backed out of the line, went to bathroom and hid a knife for 3 days, went back and got it when I got back in town.
A similar method did not work so well at a courthouse in a certain southern city. I hid the knife well outside in a planter box but either they got me on camera or a homeless person was watching cuz that knife was gone in less than an hour. Win some/lose some I guess

@Swampthing I watch a show on Discovery called Repair Shop. It's about a repair shop at a living museum in England. They repaired a 1700's family heirloom violin. It was fascinating.

Latest posts

Back