Bike from the Dead's Freshly-Exhumed Finds (Everything I've dug up since 6/15/21)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two days after picking up that Schwinn, I hitched a ride with my fabricator friend, Allan, up to Skiatook to check out some bike parts and tools. We both found a few odds and ends we could use for our personal projects. This is what I brought home for $30, minus like 7 or so wheels I got for free. I might be using the rectangular headlight/horn combo on my MBBO entry, as well as the 2 sissy bar reflectors, but I'm not sure yet. I don't know what I'd use either seat on yet, but I thought both looked too cool to pass up. I especially love the funky banana seat I got. I also got a tire I thought about using on my Newsboy Special I got back in September, and these cool Delta lights that looked like they were used on a boat at some point. I don't know what I'll use some of these parts for, but they were too cool to pass up for the price!View attachment 177255View attachment 177256View attachment 177257View attachment 177258View attachment 177259
The banana seat is actually the style that came on my AMF Built Westpoint in the photo. If you are interested in selling it let me know, I can cover it next Friday.

I'm pretty sure the pie plate sprocket protector was a modification on my bike, done by the same person who stretched the forks. Just about every Murray muscle bike I've seen like mine came with this style of chain guard:
View attachment 181331

That said, I have seen some bikes with a disc-style chain guard. I thought about keeping that element on mine, but I'm going to do something different.

That Flying Wedge is cool! I love the circular cut-outs on the rear of the frame, coupled with those cool circle shapes on the seat tube. Hopefully you'll find that shifter and whatever parts you need to make it a 5-speed again.
I have a 5 speed hub and the rear rim to build it with. I need to look for the Lark derailleur in my parts buckets. The shifter is the hard part, I wish I would've got the bike before it was gone. I traded a Huffy Pro Thunder with Motomags for it.
Some of these came with a 16" front wheel and the fork had a bracket down low for the fender and front caliper. That may come later if I find one. The fork on these has a super long steer tube so not just any fork fits. I tried the spring fork from a Spaceliner and it barely bolts on. I would've rode it like that as a kid in the 70s, so maybe I should do it now. I lived thru that era.

Last edited:
If that were my bike, I'd fit it out as a paper boy's bike. Bag hooks on the handle bars.
View attachment 173864
And some bags of papers, one hanging from the handlebars and one on each side of the rear tire hanging from that unique rear rack (what it was designed for.)

View attachment 173865

View attachment 173866

Then one for yourself.

View attachment 173867

Ed AKA Rivnut
I have a set of those paperboy bag hangers in aluminum but one bracket is not original. Not broke or stripped threads though.

The banana seat is actually the style that came on my AMF Built Westpoint in the photo. If you are interested in selling it let me know, I can cover it next Friday.
Cool! I'm holding onto it for now. I'll let you know if I decide to sell it.
I have a 5 speed hub and the rear rim to build it with. I need to look for the Lark derailleur in my parts buckets. The shifter is the hard part, I wish I would've got the bike before it was gone. I traded a Huffy Pro Thunder with Motomags for it.
Some of these came with a 16" front wheel ant the fork had a bracket down low for the fender and front caliper. That may come later if I find one. The fork on these has a super long steer tube so not just any fork fits. I tried the spring fork from a Spaceliner and it barely bolts on. I would've rode it like that as a kid in the 70s, so maybe I should do it now. I lived thru that era.
I can understand wanting to build it up as original as possible. Still, it would be a great bike to put your own spin on, customizing it the way you would've as a kid. I think it'll be great either way.

Cool man, I am doing a couple things to it but nothing I cannot reverse. Tall sissybar, the seat on it is pretty cool.
I like in some ways more than my Krates I am building.
Thanks for responding. Rob

I like both of the bikes
Story time! Earlier this Sunday, I saw an ad on Marketplace for some garage sale leftovers close to home. Among the leftovers was a 20 inch girl's Huffy bike, which had wheels I could use for my Murray Eliminator. I went and picked up the bike, chatted with the guy who posted the ad for a bit, then got back in my car, ready to head home. As I was making my way out of the neighborhood, I saw a couple kids riding a pair of vintage Schwinns, a 26" Skipper and a 26" Hollywood. I pulled up beside them, and asked about their bikes. Not long into the conversation, one of the kids (who I guess owned both bikes) told me he's looking to trade them, and asked if I had any bikes I'd be willing to trade. I had decided to hold onto the Schwinn Hollywood I got from my grandparents, as well as the teal blue Murray girls bike I had originally got for parts, but I wasn't as interested in keeping the Schwinn Deluxe Racer I had.
View attachment 176213

I showed the kid some pictures of the bike, thinking he wouldn't be that interested in it, but he was totally on board for trading, even though I didn't find my bike as valuable as the Skipper he had that I was interested in. I asked if he was sure, being upfront about what I had vs. what he had, but he wanted to trade for the Racer. I went and got the Racer out of storage, and brought it back to trade with the kid. I asked him again if he still wanted to trade, now that he could see my bike in person, even asked if his parents would be okay with the trade, but he was still eager to part with his Skipper (Also his mom seemed more concerned about her kid coming inside for dinner on time than what he did with his bikes.) So, we traded Schwinns. He got my 1967 Deluxe Racer, and I got his 1961 Skipper. On my way home, I stopped by one of my old college campuses, and took it out for a test ride. It's a bit squeaky, it probably needs new grease in the bearings, but it's an otherwise solid rider.View attachment 176190View attachment 176191View attachment 176192View attachment 176193View attachment 176194View attachment 176195View attachment 176196View attachment 176197View attachment 176198View attachment 176199View attachment 176200View attachment 176201View attachment 176202View attachment 176203View attachment 176204View attachment 176205View attachment 176206View attachment 176207View attachment 176208View attachment 176209View attachment 176210View attachment 176211View attachment 176212

I still find it funny how I got this bike. I was picking up one free bike from an ad, and as I was leaving for home, I stopped and asked a couple kids about the bikes they were riding around their neighborhood. And because I stopped to talk with them, I traded one bike (which I got for free) for another bike! I wasn't even planning on trading that bike, yet I just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and now I have a double straight bar Schwinn!

As cool as this bike is though, I can't say I'm attached to this bike. It's nice, but it's not a frame style I've been actively hunting for. It's also too nice for me to want to modify, as it's still got the original paint, and most of the original parts from what I can tell. Part of me kind of wants to hold onto it, but I'd much rather sell or trade it for something I'd want more. I don't know how much this bike is really worth, but I want to find out so I can sell it at a fair price or trade it for something of equal or slightly greater value.
I like both the Skipper and the Racer. I know when I first started I had a "Skipper" type bicycle then graduated to a Puch 3 speed with 26" x 1 3/8" tires. The racer with 27" tires is even more cool. I'm partial to 27" wheels. I know the young man is probably looking for more speed, aren't we all, and you have provided it for him. Funny to see a Schwinn without the welded on kickstand. Good story.

When I was 13 my dad FINALLY gave me a small box of tools and access to the bike parts pile. I built a black 26" lightweight single speed with upside down touring bars and a touring Mesinger saddle. It had a freewheel and center pull calipers. Man that bike was fast at the time!
I built hundreds of bikes in the next 4 or so years, but I will never have one that I remember like it.
I had a 1971 Disc Brake Krate and a chopper we built from a Schwinn 20" cantilever frame we goosenecked. We then cut the curved part off the forks and an older guy from the neighborhood welded 5 ft pieces of 3/4" black pipe to the straight legs and the cutoff pieces to the other ends. That bike was probably 7-8' long.
I used some of the parts from my Krate to make it a 5 speed and I put a Fastback front wheel on it. It was cool. But neither of those bikes in any configuration will ever replace the memory of that first bike I built back in 1973.

Kids in my grow up neighborhood were poor. Chopper extended forks were made by cutting off a pair of hollow fork blades and pounding them on a functional fork. Usually they were installed backwards so you didn't have the biggest C shape in the world. These forks had drawbacks as the pounded on legs would loosen and of course steering would become somewhat more imprecise. As kids we were up for it though.

I was also on the wrong side of the tracks, but I mowed lawns in the spring after school and 5 days a week all summer thru to the school year start. I also picked up any bike part I could get my hands on and built and sold bikes. An older guy on the dead end of my block had a shop in his garage with a welder. He helped me a couple times on things I couldn't do. He taught me to respect older people and that I could do anything if I tried.
I was the oldest, and only boy of 4 children. One of my sisters had Cerebral Palsy and Spinal Meningitis because of an error a doctor made when she was ill as a baby. My dad worked 2 full time jobs and slept about 4 hours a day. If I learned anything it was that if I wanted anything I had to work for it.

I got a much better shot of that Westpoint Flying Wedge than the one I posted earler.
I found a shifter, it is a little rough but it will work. The bike isn't perfect either.
It is just together for inspiration.
20220120_120817.jpg

Yeah I know the sissybar is supposed to bolt to the axle but I do not want to cover up those awesome holes at the back of the frame.
I swapped rockers so the wheel sits out further.
I have a rear drum hub to match the front but I need a better rim to lace it to.

Thanks for commenting on the bike!
It originally had the standard fork, I put that fork on it from a Spaceliner frame I have. If I do not find an AMF fork I want to use I am probably going to put a chrome Monark fork on it just so it looks a little custom.
Of course I am keeping all the old parts I have. The wheels, tires and seat are not original to the bike but the original parts were gone when I got it.
I was lucky to find a shifter, they are all in another dimension apparently.
The rear wheel on it now is probably correct but I need to replace some spokes and true it.
Man I wish I could find a front and rear tire, the are white letter and sat The Fast One on them.
I have to crosscheck but I believe the bike is a 1973, which means it was the last year for the Click Stick shifter.
You are right about the bike being good for adults, I rode it with the Shimano coaster wheel the PO put on it. The bike is one of the best riding bikes I have. I am sure it is going to be a lot more fun with the 5 speed and drum brakes.
I also need a pair of Excel brake levers and a Shimano Lark derailleur. I had these parts but they are MIA from my shop move a few years ago.

I got a much better shot of that Westpoint Flying Wedge than the one I posted earler.
I found a shifter, it is a little rough but it will work. The bike isn't perfect either.
It is just together for inspiration.View attachment 183583

Yeah I know the sissybar is supposed to bolt to the axle but I do not want to cover up those awesome holes at the back of the frame.
I swapped rockers so the wheel sits out further.
I have a rear drum hub to match the front but I need a better rim to lace it to.
That's a good-looking Wedge! It may look rough, but I think it all looks cool the way it is. I think the sissy bar looks great where it is; those holes deserve to be seen! Also, kind of unrelated, but the way the black paint faded on the chain guard circles makes me think of the phases of the moon. I just thought that was kind of neat. Can't wait to see you get it all fixed up and riding!

Thanks for the likes and comments! I am planning to leave the paint exactly as is other than maybe shining it up a bit.
I decoded the serial number, it appears to be a 1970. This year could've came with the Aerobee chainguard. I may get one and alternate between the guard and the ring for a change of scenery.
I am cleaning the chrome, but the sissybar is lacking on that so I may have to dress it up another way.
I am hoping to get a correct rear slick soon, not guaranteed but not much is today.
I may copy this to another thread though, since this one is about another bike and it was not my intent to hijack it.
Thanks, Rob

That's a good-looking Wedge! It may look rough, but I think it all looks cool the way it is. I think the sissy bar looks great where it is; those holes deserve to be seen! Also, kind of unrelated, but the way the black paint faded on the chain guard circles makes me think of the phases of the moon. I just thought that was kind of neat. Can't wait to see you get it all fixed up and riding!
I had not thought about the phases of the moon. I will not repaint the chainwheel. Thanks for pointing that out to me!
Rob

Has anyone here ever used the powder coat chrome? I have never seen it but I have used the polished aluminum and it is awesome!

Thanks for the likes and comments! I am planning to leave the paint exactly as is other than maybe shining it up a bit.
I decoded the serial number, it appears to be a 1970. This year could've came with the Aerobee chainguard. I may get one and alternate between the guard and the ring for a change of scenery.
I am cleaning the chrome, but the sissybar is lacking on that so I may have to dress it up another way.
I am hoping to get a correct rear slick soon, not guaranteed but not much is today.
I may copy this to another thread though, since this one is about another bike and it was not my intent to hijack it.
Thanks, Rob
You're welcome! Sounds like you've got a plan.
It's fine; not the first time this has happened. Let me know when you get a build thread up. I'll want to follow your progress.
I had not thought about the phases of the moon. I will not repaint the chainwheel. Thanks for pointing that out to me!
Rob
I just thought it was cool how the paint faded that way. You're welcome!
Has anyone here ever used the powder coat chrome? I have never seen it but I have used the polished aluminum and it is awesome!
My dad powder coats, and he either hasn't done chrome powder or he doesn't like using the chrome powder, as it's tough to get good results with it. Plus, it apparently looks better without the clear coat that you're supposed to put over it to protect it from UV rays, but I've not seen powdered chrome, so I can't confirm any of this. I have been playing with a couple chrome rattle-can spray paints, and I've found one that looks pretty good, provided you don't clear it.

I have some that I am trying out as a base coat for the candy red Metalcast paint I am using on my 1962 Schwinn Pig Bike. I think there is a build thread here, but if not there will be. There is one up on The CABE, I find most members here I talk to are there as well. My user name is the same there.
Thanks for the info, Rob

Ok, while I know I've got more than enough projects to work on right now, I have a hard time passing up on what I feel is a good deal. I saw an ad on Marketplace for some rusty bikes and trikes located about an hour away from home; $100 for all. Most of what I saw didn't interest me, but there was a picture of a Schwinn straight bar amongst the other bikes. I asked the seller if he was willing to sell individual bikes, and fortunately, he was! We agreed on a price, and as I was about to leave, Mom told me to bring more cash with me, just in case I liked what else the guy had. (We'll come back to that later.) Well, I get over there, and it's already getting dark. I get a flashlight out and get a better look at the Schwinn, and it's rougher than expected. It's pretty crusty, the frame is slightly bent at one of the seat stays, and the bottom bracket assembly seems locked up solid. Still, it's a Schwinn straight bar, and as rough as it is, it doesn't seem like a total loss. It's still got a decent amount of the original paint, (and it's blue, my favorite color!), the fork turns freely, the kickstand is still adjustable, and that dented seat stay at least doesn't seem to misalign the rear wheel, and might even be repairable. So, I ended up buying the bike.
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_23.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_24.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_25.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_26.jpg

Can't say I've seen a riser this tall before. It's pretty wild, but I don't know if there's a way to save it. It's pretty rough. I'm just worried about how to remove it from the forks, if I can.
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_27.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_28.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_29.jpg

Here's that dent I mentioned earlier. It's hard to accurately show just how much the seat stay bends down, as all my photos either make it look more or less extreme than it is. I don't think it changed the position of the dropouts, but it might've tweaked the upper fender mount. Also, for some reason this frame has more brazing on the seat stays than I'm used to seeing. Could this be a sign of a previous repair, or is this something that some Schwinns have and other Schwinns don't? It doesn't look sloppy at least, but there's more material there than I'm used to seeing.
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_30.jpg

It's really tough to make out, but I think the serial number reads either "M87970" or "M87976." Either way, this frame was made between September 23-30, 1954.
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_31.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_32.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_33.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_34.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_35.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_36.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_37.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_38.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_39.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_40.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_41.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_42.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_43.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_44.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_45.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_46.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_47.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_48.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_49.jpg

Remember how Mom told me to bring more money just in case? Well, here's what "just in case" looks like. I'd seen this Schwinn in the ad too, and while I wasn't that interested in it at first, I decided to take a look at it while I was there. While this bike appeared straighter than the straight bar, it was completely frozen solid. Nothing on this bike moves at all! However, when I saw the faint remnants of red scallops and diamonds with white pinstriping on black paint, I could tell this used to be one of Schwinn's high-end bikes. So, after a little negotiating, I bought both Schwinns for $40. I'd like to try saving these bikes if I can, whether that means restoring them, customizing them, or just making them rideable once more, but if it turns out that these bikes are too far gone, at least I didn't spend too much cash on them.
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_1.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_2.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_3.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_4.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_5.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_6.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_7.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_8.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_9.jpg

On top of the rust, it seems this bike has some dried-up tar or something sprinkled all over it. I did find it could be chipped off, though.
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_10.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_11.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_12.jpg

I've never seen this sort of bearing cup race/crown before.
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_13.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_14.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_15.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_16.jpg

This wheel is so roached that it flexes with just the weight of the bike pressing on it.
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_17.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_18.jpg

According to bikehistory.org, this bike was either made June 15-30 1955, or November 1-4 1957. I'm banking on 1955, as it's clearly a balloon-tire bike, but I don't know when Schwinn stopped making most of their balloon tire bikes.
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_19.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_20.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_21.jpg
BftD_schwinns_after_dark_22.jpg

I haven't done anything with these bikes since I got them 2 weeks ago, partly because of other stuff I've had going on, and partly because it's been too cold to really work on my bikes. I'd really like to try and disassemble these bikes If I can, preferably without destroying anything if I can. Has anyone here ever managed to free up a completely or near-completely frozen bike before? I'm not too concerned about saving the original paint on these bikes, but if there's a way to dismantle these without messing up the paint and parts, I'd really appreciate it if you could help me figure this out.

I haven't tried this yet, but an older friend who passed away a couple years back told me about his secret formula for penetratinfg lubricant. He said with this and patience anything will break free.
Since he passed I do not think he would mind me sharing this. It is a very simple to make mix and even recycles something most people have to take to a collection center to dispose of!
Used transmission fluid and Acetone. I believe 3 parts used ATF to 1 part Acetone was the mix ratio. He probably used Dexron and or Mercon fluid. It may be because the older fluids became slightly acitic when ran for several thousand miles.
You can try any ATF you have as long as it is used. I cannot say on the new Mopar fluid but I will be trying some soon when my brother changes his on his V10 1999 Dodge extended cab 3/4 ton 4x4. His has the Lamborghini designed V10. It will tug that truck around nicely but he keeps a spare gas station in the bed for long trips
The key is patience. Soak the problem area a couple times and wait 24 hours. If it doesn't break loose soak it again. And wait.
I did cone in one day while he was freeing up a stuck antique four stroke/cycle single cylinder horizontal shaft engine. He broke it loose while I was there and he said that was what he used to do it. Another time I was there he had it on a stand he built running.
Worth a try on your project.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back