Visiting ATL in February. Bring a bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So my daughter and I are taking a trip from PA to Atlanta, GA on President's Day Weekend. She is coaching at a big cheerleading competition right smack in the middle of downtown. I am coming along to share the drive and hang out with her when she's not busy with the team. I'm not going to the competition, so I will have some time to explore on my own. There's a good chance that we will be staying at a hotel within walking distance of the competition. I was talking to a friend at work who told me that the one miserable thing about Atlanta is the traffic. I was hoping someone here would know Atlanta from the seat of a bike well enough to advise me here... would it be a good idea for me to bring a bike along to see the city, or does the traffic there make it a bad idea? Thanks for any insight!

Bike = AMEX

Don't Leave Home Without It

Karlmalden.jpg

Before I tell you about the rough areas, the homeless, the one time that I seriously thought I was gonna get mugged and the horrific time I saw a very freshly dead guy in the downtown area, I’ll let the people that actually live there tell you where to go that are nice. Apparently every time I go there, I’ve found areas that aren’t.

Minus that one time that I was sitting in the old church that MLK preached in and closed my eyes and listened to the recording of him preaching—that was awesome.
don’t think you could ride a bike in there though.

I ended up not bringing a bike, but we did a little (VERY little) riding after all. We rented these to ride from where we had the car parked (a rare free lot at the MLK Memorial National Park) to lunch at Jack's Pizza and Wings.
20220220_144502.jpg

Don't ask me how, but the old fat guy ended up riding the bike you actually have to pedal while the little athletic coach got the electric-assist one.
20220220_134657.jpg
20220220_134628.jpg

Lunch was quite an experience, as were most things in Atlanta this weekend.
20220220_150706.jpg
20220220_142559.jpg

Ebenezer Baptist Church on Jackson Street.
if you have a spiritual background, you will feel the Spirit flowing outta MLK.
if you don’t have a spiritual background, you will have to ask yourself “what is this that I feel?”
Either way, I highly recommend it.

No joke, this was very much for real. Very powerful experience just to be there with MLK's commanding voice playing on a recording in the background.
20220220_104912.jpg

Latest posts

Back