Unofficial March Shootout 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[
@metalchewy was your bulb one of the direct replacement LED bulbs for flashlights with the bulb socket?

I suppose you could modify the lamp circuit to include a rechargeable battery backup. The drain wouldn't be too bad when in constant motion and I believe it would filter out the flickering. Parallel to the dynamo with a capacitor protecting the battery from back feeding the dynamo should work. What do you think @ingola ?

Carl.
With a capacitor( they can store energy)you wouldn't need the battery pack. bridge rectifer would convert the power source to ac. I've done the wiring before I'll do it to show. I would love the direct bulb. You can order some from England but even they need I diode and cost 22 bucks to ship here in Canada. Your idea would work to.

So I'm not sure if I'm feeling the mascot idea. Doesn't really fit style or theme. Old busted bell and stubby wrenches and some wire. Nothing is attached, no real plan beyond what is here:
IMG_20220325_111753219~2.jpg

It doesn't really show that it is a 29er. Proportions are great. You might want to include a 26" cruiser with it for comparison in some of your final pics. Some type of "before" picture is a MUST as well. I love the transformation.

NO disrespect and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the skinny tires 700's and aren't wheels called 29er's usually a fatter BMX style tire? I realize it's just a description of the tire and I may be missing some of the information. But I really am curious are the fatter 29 BMX tires able to fit a 700 rim?

Carl.

Yep. 29" & 700c are the same ISO 622.

I use a wheelset from a 29" cruiser on my 1919 Mead Ranger arch frame rat with 700x44c Sawtooth tires. The wide rim puts the tires at 1.75" wide.🙂
IMG_20210117_131811356.jpg
IMG_20210120_154140239_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210101_153624825_HDR.jpg

And yes, that's a "phone booth" in the middle pic.🤓

Last edited:
Yes. Those Onyx/ONEX bikes are a good example...fat cruiser tires on 16-18mm wide rims. 29", 700C and most 28" are on ISO622 rims.
You have to watch the 28s depending on where the bike comes from in Canada they are 622 in Holland and China they are 635 my bike has 28 and the 635 I hate tire sizing

Thanks. I was pretty sure they were the same thing and without running out to the garage I couldn't remember ISO622. I run those on a few of my "Dragster" style builds, or I go down to the 26 x1 3/8 size if I use a "Kota" bend style fork or a flipped rat trap. (which I'm kinda looking for one, for my Spaceliner)

Carl.

I can’t join this year. Most March days this year It’s been too cold and windy to go outside. Today a 60 mile stretch of highway along Lake Superior is closed because of a lake effect blizzard. The 14 day forecast is for continued s#|++¥.

I can’t join this year. Most March days this year It’s been too cold and windy to go outside. Today a 60 mile stretch of highway along Lake Superior is closed because of a lake effect blizzard. The 14 day forecast is for continued s#|++¥.
View attachment 189300
We've had one nice day here if you look I've worked on that bike in every room in the apartment would have loved to paint but not happening.

IMG_20220327_182024.jpg

The rust trials were a vague fail. I mean the rust was barely surface and the scene I flap wheeled into the bare metal didn't have any definition in the rust. So after a soft sand and rub with a shop rag, I primered it into this. I believe the rust would have some merit if we had the time to just leave it alone. But with few days left, it's time to move on.

GC.

View attachment 189326
The rust trials were a vague fail. I mean the rust was barely surface and the scene I flap wheeled into the bare metal didn't have any definition in the rust. So after a soft sand and rub with a shop rag, I primered it into this. I believe the rust would have some merit if we had the time to just leave it alone. But with few days left, it's time to move on.

GC.
Looks good I once made rust on a frame by throwing it in a baby pool with ginger lemon juice and a ton of rusty metal the process took a week no time like you said

Latest posts

Back