Stormin Norman

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This will be my daughters first bike build.
Starting with a 1956 Norman step through. The bike will be getting the restomod treatment, with fresh paint, all the vintage charm, and a few modern touches to keep it going for many years to come.
20220430_180203.jpg

Very cool. Is this a father/daughter build, or are you building it for her? I sure hope she is joining in the fun as well!!!

Very cool. Is this a father/daughter build, or are you building it for her? I sure hope she is joining in the fun as well!!!
This will be a daughter build with help and pointers from dad. She Completed the strip down ready for the citric acid bath, and will be handling the spray gun etc herself. Great learning project.

This will be a daughter build with help and pointers from dad. She Completed the strip down ready for the citric acid bath, and will be handling the spray gun etc herself. Great learning project.

That is awesome!! Welcome to the fun gthrDaughter (GTHRD).

My attempts to get my daughter involved in building anything has mostly been limited to Lego kits. Love the name, I’ve met Stormin’ Norm a few times. Great bloke nearing 90 and still driving classics including a one of kind 409 4 speed Impala sedan (built to conform with the touring car regulations downunder), a 50’s caddy and late model Vette.

Last edited:
First time playing with cottered cranks, and they came off easy as butter. Don't know what all the fuss is about🤣

(I know I got lucky on this one😁)
View attachment 192052
If your able to find replacements get new ones and not chest Chinese ones. When putting them back in remember bolt doesn't really do much they need to be squeezed in I use a ball joint splitter and tighten it. If you put them back in with hammer use pipe the hight of the peddle place under Cotter bolt side then pin punch and strike hard. Don't hit it without anything underneath I've destroyed cranks doing this.

If your able to find replacements get new ones and not chest Chinese ones. When putting them back in remember bolt doesn't really do much they need to be squeezed in I use a ball joint splitter and tighten it. If you put them back in with hammer use pipe the hight of the peddle place under Cotter bolt side then pin punch and strike hard. Don't hit it without anything underneath I've destroyed cranks doing this.
Thank you for the great tips. Appreciated 👍

Thank you for the great tips. Appreciated 👍
I've restored so many of these British tour bikes messed up a few cranks. Remember to if that's a Raleigh era frame threading is different. And a raliegh front wheel only goes on one day . awesome bike I have a coopertone Norman love it.

What happens if you put a Raleigh wheel backwards?
The lock nut locks and you go over the handlebars. They only sit probably one way. Something to do with production. RJ the bike guy has a video.

The lock nut locks and you go over the handlebars. They only sit probably one way. Something to do with production. RJ the bike guy has a video.
But he shouldn't need to worry I'm pretty sure it's not a raliegh frame. Dropouts and forks do not look right probably has a brass head badge to. A little earlier it would have had a BSA three speed hub.

Here is the Norman as it arrived to us last year. Still on the original Dunlop tyres, they disintegrated a soon as we tried to remove them from the rims.
20211127_121650.jpg
20211127_121619.jpg

Will be upgrading to a 26"wheel set for this one. I laced an alloy rim to a SA AW 3 speed hub for the rear. Forgot to grab a pic, but the 26x1.75 tyres fit perfectly in the frame and fork.
20220506_091056.jpg

Latest posts

Back