Silver King Unchained: BELT DRIVE....What a ride~!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How durable are these frames? A friend had one in high school. The frame broke. His father took it to a machine shop for repairs but it broke again. Granted late 60s aluminum repair techniques were primitive. He was a big very strong guy, all state footballer. He and I did a lot of cross country skiing and he broke 2 - 3 fiberglass or cane poles each season double poling. He finally went to aluminum poles. I think he actually folded an aluminum pole. So upon reflection, it’s only natural that he broke the frame.
Your friend wouldn't be named Bruce Banner, would he? :giggle:

I’ve never managed to own one of these aluminum frames, they seem like a pain. Looks like you are making a lot of progress on it.
The use of two disimilar metals, aluminum alloy and steel alloy, creates an oxide build up that acts like a super hard barrier between the two,if it's not greased and maintained regularly.

And then the steel rusts to boot. This thing has'nt been touched since 1936, pretty sure.

Day 9 Update

It's a roller!

20220509_200921.jpg
20220509_200939.jpg
20220509_201256.jpg
20220509_201156.jpg
20220509_201222.jpg
20220509_201238.jpg
20220509_201256.jpg

That is a different Gates belt pulley than I've ever seen before. I dig the look of the bike with the brown hoops. Hope you keep a bit of the patina intact.
Yep, that is the Trek version of the Gates pulley system. I should say the first edition of the Trek version. They still have a belt drive bike in their production line, but it uses a different system I believe now. That's why these parts were so plentiful, and cheap, along with the fact that nobody hardly ever had to replace theirs!

My hands would never hold up to a complete 'shine up' of this frame. I may take some of the stains off, but the patina will pretty much remain intact. Keep chimin' in , Dave. I'm open to ideas!

I really like how your build is turning out! Nice handlebars
Thanks Frankie! I wasn't sure about these bars at first, but just sitting on the (loose and unattached) saddle last night, the reach and width and height all felt very comfortable. I will try one or two other options as well, but so far these 'feel' good!

Last edited:
I really like the combination of sull aluminum vs gloss black.
Do you plan to tie in the gloss brown of the rims a bit more later on?
Also the stance and overall "attitude" looks great already!
SG, I am thinking the brown rims will come together with the grips / saddle cover, something along those lines.
And yes, this will end up with a mix of dull, patina, gloss, maybe even a satin mixed in with the finishes. :nerd:

Thanks for checking in!

The fork and wheels look like they are fitting well on there.
I've done both satin and mirror polish on these SKs before, but there is a lot to be said for the unique way that their natural patina looks. Looking good brother.

The fork and wheels look like they are fitting well on there.
I've done both satin and mirror polish on these SKs before, but there is a lot to be said for the unique way that their natural patina looks. Looking good brother.
Thanks KF! It's coming along. Hope you're having fun across the water!

Latest posts

Back