JC Higgins help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C1B23D3C-058E-45F4-A051-F3C813497590.jpeg
C1B23D3C-058E-45F4-A051-F3C813497590.jpeg
17C610A7-C959-4FCD-9025-CC7099B358C6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Murray built bike badged JC Higgins. External fender braces with that style chain guard suggests it was a higher end model, most likely had a tank and rack. If the rear hub is a Musselman it is possible to get a date code from it. Check the outer edge of the hub on the reaction arm side for a triangle, square, circle, or diamond followed by a letter.

That's a Murray chain wheel, and most JC Higgins were made by Murray, but at the least, your forks and frame are Columbia, made by Westfield. The dropouts give it away. It looks like the chain wheel was changed, as the cranks look like Columbia also. The serial number on those is not stamped with large numbers and it is stamped lightly, but will be on the left dropout. Probably the repaint has it covered up. An older Murray would have numbers on the bottom bracket.

Last edited:
I agree with Couch tater, a high end model. It also has holes where the headlight mounted on the front fender.

That's a Murray chain wheel, and most JC Higgins were made by Murray, but at the least, your forks and frame are Columbia, made by Westfield. The dropouts give it away. It looks like the chain wheel was changed, as the cranks look like Columbia also. The serial number on those is not stamped with large numbers and it is stamped lightly, but will be on the left dropout. Probably the repaint has it covered up. An older Murray would have numbers on the bottom bracket.
I missed the Columbia details on my phone but yep, on my big screen the frame & fork is Columbia. Looking like a ratrod bike from the olden days. A great starting base to build on!

Latest posts

Back