Nightmare on Elgin Street

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The curved seat mast puts it at '40-'41. Is/was it badged Elgin?

The rear hub should have a date code as well.
The badge is long since gone. I'll have to clean up the hub, but I don't know if it's original

Any ludicrous offers? Pleas of mercy? Anyone trade me for a new tire? No? Well, alrighty then, here's a short video summary of my plans for the frame

Attachments

• nightmare on Elgin Street.mp4
    5.8 MB
Last edited:
Any ludicrous offers? Pleas of mercy? Anyone trade me for a new tire? No? Well, alrighty then
thumbs-up-borat.gif

Okay, I'm flabbergasted! I have not sprayed not a single ounce of penetrating oil on this bike in the two years is been sitting outside in my yard. The previous owner had it for 20 years outside as a flower display with zero maintenance. I just took the whole bike apart and didn't strip a single screw or fight it at all. There's the faintest evidence of anti seize, so I tip my hat to whoever originally assembled the bike. And what I thought was a crack in the frame was a piece of Ivy violently stuck to the frame! Now I genuinely feel a little bad about cutting up a perfectly solid 38 Elgin. It's not going to stop me though, unless I get a ludicrous offer before the weekend.
View attachment 192368
View attachment 192357
The BB cone and nut still have good chrome under the dirt and greaseView attachment 192369View attachment 192370
And the bearings just need a quick scrub and can be repackedView attachment 192358
I honestly didn't know the headlight still has glass on it, and the taillight just has a small piece chipped off the bottomView attachment 192361View attachment 192359View attachment 192364View attachment 192362
You can just see the original Elgin logo on the tankView attachment 192363
And the only tidbit of original color is under the tankView attachment 192367View attachment 192366If anyone can check Elgin serial numbers, any info or sources are very much appreciatedView attachment 19236567-886
The only real damage is to the skirt guardsView attachment 192360
I've got M O D on my list as 1939, maybe that's a D above the number?

Ohhhh my…. well…. I guess you Won’t be restoring that one but that was fun to watch… I have cut up a few vintage ones so can’t wait to see what you do with it

Any ludicrous offers? Pleas of mercy? Anyone trade me for a new tire? No? Well, alrighty then, here's a short video summary of my plans for the frame

Well, I said I was going to make a ludicrous offer on Tuesday, but because of the time zone differences I decided to leave it until my Wednesday, which should be your Tuesday... but then I got confused :39:. Guess I left it too long...

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Glen.

I have a Derby (Pep Boys brand) that has an MD. There is a real evolution of seat stay, chain stay to BB juncture and the seat mast itself. 'D' would be late '38 into '39. This is my Derby...I consider it a late '38 or early '39 as by late '39 they were using the 'electroforged' BB to chain stay junction. Curved seat mast started sometime in '40.
MyDerby.jpg

Latest posts

Back