Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #17: Let's Go!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I’m a Gretsch man through and through (and Fender, PRS, Gibson, Taylor, etc…). And the Gretsch Jet line is tremendous. I really like that the Jr is hotroded (one tone, one volume).

Huge props for learning to play! 40 years later, I still am too. I didn’t start building bikes until a couple years ago so I know what it’s like picking up something new later on.

If you can get passed the physical pain and soul crushing frustration, playing guitar it’s super cool and very fun. If you’re looking for tips or advice just say so. Guitar guys, like bike guys, Looove talking about guitars.

I will say this… Again, like bikes, learning on your own is very difficult even with YouTube and the internet at your fingertips. With bikes and guitars, I’m constantly asking friends to explain something or show me how it’s done.
I hope that you are able to join in the build-off, LAGreg. Learning to play guitar was very therapeutic when I started playing almost 50 years ago. And I haven't been in a band for over 30 years now. I am more of a collector than a player anymore. I have played and owned more guitars than I can count. But I cannot remember if I have ever played any Gretsch models. I discovered the Novo brand a couple of years ago and it has almost ruined me for all other brands.

Thanks! I’m a Gretsch man through and through (and Fender, PRS, Gibson, Taylor, etc…). And the Gretsch Jet line is tremendous. I really like that the Jr is hotroded (one tone, one volume).

Huge props for learning to play! 40 years later, I still am too. I didn’t start building bikes until a couple years ago so I know what it’s like picking up something new later on.

If you can get passed the physical pain and soul crushing frustration, playing guitar it’s super cool and very fun. If you’re looking for tips or advice just say so. Guitar guys, like bike guys, Looove talking about guitars.

I will say this… Again, like bikes, learning on your own is very difficult even with YouTube and the internet at your fingertips. With bikes and guitars, I’m constantly asking friends to explain something or show me how it’s done.

Gretsch has some history in Savannah. The family bought it back from Baldwin and moved it here back in 1988.

Cool. but you may shun me in a second.
I bought a Gretsch Junior Jet bass.
The short scale (30”) is easier for my stiff old fingers.
And yea, It can be tough learning when old, but it’s fun. When young it is easier to get frustrated when things take a long time to get. Now, I’m just happy I if can remember what it was that I was trying to learn.
I got a couple books and signed up to some on-line tutorials.
I’m old. Paper is easier for me. Bookmarks and scribbles in the margins and in the open places are where I remember. Oddly enough, I am finding music theory interesting and the theory type exercises rewarding. Soon maybe I’ll learn to play some songs.

And yea, It can be tough learning when old, but it’s fun. When young it is easier to get frustrated when things take a long time to get. Now, I’m just happy I if can remember what it was that I was trying to learn.
I’m old. Paper is easier for me. Bookmarks and scribbles in the margins and in the open places are where I remember. Oddly enough, I am finding music theory interesting and the theory type exercises rewarding. Soon maybe I’ll learn to play some songs.
The bass is easier to learn, and those big strings don't cut in to your fingertips. And I have heard good things about that model. Good luck!

Most guitar players I know also play bass. I do. I have a great entry level Yamaha. I’ve heard it said that all guitar players should learn bass. It’s such a different component of the band/song it helps to know both ends.

Gretsch has some history in Savannah. The family bought it back from Baldwin and moved it here back in 1988.
Savannah is also home of Benedetto Guitars. Bob Benedetto is perhaps the Stradivarius of our generation. Haven’t seen him in years. Use to run into him when I was doing work for Fender Musical. I studied his construction methods for about a decade. Great guy.

perhaps the most of all, I'm looking forward to seeing what he's going to do.

1652602610820.png

As much as I hate to say it, I think I'll just watch this year's Build Off from the sidelines. I still haven't finished last year's MBBO entry, The Prowler, and I have a couple stock bikes I've had disassembled for at least 2 years now that need to get put back together. I have plenty of bikes I could enter into this year's Build Off, but I need to finish the bikes I've already started first.
Yeah, remember how I said all that stuff about not entering the Build Off this time a little over a month ago? I've changed my mind. I need to build something custom and creative to offset the semi-strict, mild restoration of another project I'm working on currently.

Here's what I'm thinking of throwing into the mix: my rusty, ant-infested, almost-destined-to-be-a-garden-bike of a Murray Meteor Flite I bought at a local swap meet in late April.
BftD_Rusty_Murray1.jpg

I had thought about just slapping it together the way it looks to see if I liked the rust before I decided to strip it and paint/powder coat it, but that all changed when I found this seat for $2 at the Springfield, Missouri bicycle swap meet this past Sunday:
BftD_fffs_2022_26.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_28.jpg

I just had to see what it'd look like on the Murray, so I slapped it on...
BftD_fffs_2022_69.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_70.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_71.jpg

...and just like that, I was sold on the rust. I'm literally going to build this bike around this $2 seat! However, I'm going to try my darndest to build this bike just using what parts I already have, without spending any more money on it than I already have. The only exception would be for new tires and maybe truing the wheels, but I'm really going to push for keeping to the shoe-string budget I'm involuntarily stuck with. So that might mean using some tires that either don't have quite the look I really want, or worse, using tires that are cracked and nearly dry-rotted. Still, on a bike that looks like this, I think I could get away with it, provided I can ride it around the neighborhood at least.

I wouldn't have entered the Build Off, however, if I couldn't even disassemble the bike first. Amazingly, after spraying this bike down with PB Blaster (and ant killer,) I was able to loosen up every nut and bolt I needed to! The only real issue I'm facing now is that I don't have a solid project/build thread name in mind for this bike. Still, I can worry about that later. I'm ready to start building!

Last edited:
Yeah, remember how how I said all that stuff about not entering the Build Off this time a little over a month ago? I've changed my mind. I need to build something custom and creative to offset the semi-strict, mild restoration of another current project I'm working on currently.

Here's what I'm thinking of throwing into the mix: my rusty, ant-infested, almost-destined-to-be-a-garden-bike of a Murray Meteor Flite I bought at a local swap meet in late April.
View attachment 194260

I had thought about just slapping it together the way it looks to see if I liked the rust before I decided to strip it and paint/powder coat it, but that all changed when I found this seat for $2 at the Springfield, Missouri bicycle swap meet this past Sunday:
View attachment 194254View attachment 194255

I just had to see what it'd look like on the Murray, so I slapped it on...
View attachment 194251View attachment 194252View attachment 194253

...and just like that, I was sold on the rust. I'm literally going to build this bike around this $2 seat! However, I'm going to try my darndest to build this bike just using what parts I already have, without spending any more money on it than I already have. The only exception would be for new tires and maybe truing the wheels, but I'm really going to push for keeping to the shoe-string budget I'm involuntarily stuck with. So that might mean using some tires that either don't have quite the look I really want, or worse, using tires that are cracked and nearly dry-rotted. Still, on a bike that looks like this, I think I could get away with it, provided I can ride it around the neighborhood at least.

I would've have entered the Build Off, however, if I couldn't even disassemble the bike first. Amazingly, after spraying this bike down with PB Blaster (and ant killer,) I was able to loosen up every nut and bolt I needed to! The only real issue I'm facing now is that I don't have a solid project/build thread name in mind for this bike. Still, I can worry about that later. I'm ready to start building!

Jump on in with your build thread! I think you will make Build #60

That bike has no dents in the fenders or bent rack from 3 kids riding on it. There's no chunks worn out of the chain guard or chain stays from the cranks getting loose and being ridden for a couple years. I don't see any scrapes from it being thrown down in haste. And worse, there's no worn spots on the tank or chain guard where the youngest kids would have ridden and put their feet. And, not trying to pile on too much, but the fork isn't even bent!
Even with all that going on, it should make a decent build off bike because of that evenly spaced continuous layer of patina. :thumbsup:

That bike has no dents in the fenders or bent rack from 3 kids riding on it. There's no chunks worn out of the chain guard or chain stays from the cranks getting loose and being ridden for a couple years. I don't see any scrapes from it being thrown down in haste. And worse, there's no worn spots on the tank or chain guard where the youngest kids would have ridden and put their feet. And, not trying to pile on too much, but the fork isn't even bent!
Even with all that going on, it should make a decent build off bike because of that evenly spaced continuous layer of patina. :thumbsup:
Even worse, none of the nuts or bolts snapped when I tried to loosen them! What a ripoff! :21:

It's going to be a fun one.

That's a good honest rat build. All go, no show, no faux.
That's basically it. I'm not throwing any crazy parts at it (aside from the seat, wheels, tires, and handlebars,) there will be no custom fab work, no sandblasting, no paint, no powder coat... no problem! I'm just going to keep it simple this time around.

Latest posts

Back