Bamboozle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the 'fender brake' idea! If you wanted a little more wood on the build, you could have the top side a 1/8"ld plywood or luan laminated to a bent steel spring plate that would be the actual braking surface.

I like the 'fender brake' idea! If you wanted a little more wood on the build, you could have the top side a 1/8"ld plywood or luan laminated to a bent steel spring plate that would be the actual braking surface.
Sounds good.

I'm still planning the brake. I think a single piece of metal with a hinge and spring will be all it needs.
I cut the support for the top of the board and shortened the kickstand by 2 inches. It may need another inch taken off.
kickstand.jpg

I also checked the drive bar for clearance and it seems ok. The hole I drill will be 1 1/2 inches below the pedal hole. I can also drill the other arm at a different spot, and switch them for a different gear ratio.
The board support also needs drilled, but a couple of community support programs come first. We're helping a village in our province. I'll get new drill bits tomorrow.
board support.jpg

I got some new drill bits and googled up how to make them last longer. Don't drill at high speed and use a little oil. I'll see if that works. I used the thinner metal for the top of the board and mounted it up. There is clearance for the right side crank after all, so back on it went, after drilling out a hole for the drive bar. The pedals will also clear the front wheel, since I added the springer.
Using the board as the stop as the crank moves forward, I have 6 inches of travel, more then enough.
I stood on the board and it seems solid enough.
I took another inch off the kickstand, but it sits just an inch off the ground when up. I didn't notice that before. I'll have to use something else.
26 May 22 a.jpg
26 May 22 b.jpg
26 May 22 c.jpg
26 May 22 d.jpg

More work on the drivetrain. I shortened the chain but see I need to put a couple more links in. I also need a stop of some kind to keep the cranks from moving backward. The travel will be vertical and forward. I have enough travel in the chain. I'm using vise grips to hold it in place for now.
When testing it, in the video, I got the hub to shift to high gear. That's about 12 mph. The spring still has a lot of pull using 3 of them. If my foot slips off the pedal, it springs back with a lot of force.

27 May drivetrain.jpg

You can hear the vendor out in the street above honking. Anything from balut to fresh bread everyday.

More work on the drivetrain. I shortened the chain but see I need to put a couple more links in. I also need a stop of some kind to keep the cranks from moving backward. The travel will be vertical and forward. I have enough travel in the chain. I'm using vise grips to hold it in place for now.
When testing it, in the video, I got the hub to shift to high gear. That's about 12 mph. The spring still has a lot of pull using 3 of them. If my foot slips off the pedal, it springs back with a lot of force.

View attachment 194774
You can hear the vendor out in the street above honking. Anything from balut to fresh bread everyday.
View attachment 194776
Baluuuuut!!!!

I'll just have some lumpia and pancit. BBQ on a stick too!

I needed to find something to act as a stop, and clean up my scrap pile.
27 May scrap.jpg

I laid out all the leftovers from projects and found a piece ready to go. I'll trim it and round the corners and I'm set.

27 May drivestop.jpg

Now to add brakes and it's ready to ride!

27 May config.jpg

Wow! Love the pedal action vid! And that new kickstand stance has a good look. The board on top really shows off that element.
The long wheelbase should help in balancing, once you are up and going on it. I would guess that you could 'start up' by kicking on the ground and once you get some momentum, then put the pedal(s) into action.
Can't wait for the first ride vid!
RaT oN~!

View attachment 194774
View attachment 194776
Cool to see it in action!
Will you give the metalband a kind of guide? maybe in the area where you clamped it to the frame. I'm a bit afraid that the movement will get quite big at higher kicking rate...

It's a possibility. I'll know more when I test it out. It shouldn't be too hard to make up a guide. I also will see how the thin metal does under strain, the bends may come out.
I'd also like to find a long spring like is used on screen doors. These shorter springs have too much tension past the first inch of pull.
1653690915473.png

I thought it was ready for a test ride, but ran into a snag.
1653712787789.png

The brakes went on ok, no fender brake yet. The longest cables only worked for the top brake, the lower one works, but the lever is way down the handlebars. Only one brake is needed though.

28 May brake test.jpg

You can see that the kickstand is almost touching the floor, it'll have to come off.
One thing I didn't expect was it not being able to roll backwards. It bent the stop for the cranks when I tried to roll it backwards.
The wheel won't roll backwards without the cog turning back also, which pulls the pedals back. I have to make a stronger stop that won't bend.

I'll just have some lumpia and pancit. BBQ on a stick too!

I needed to find something to act as a stop, and clean up my scrap pile.
View attachment 194802

I laid out all the leftovers from projects and found a piece ready to go. I'll trim it and round the corners and I'm set.

View attachment 194803

Now to add brakes and it's ready to ride!

View attachment 194804
My wife makes pancit (pangsit here in Bali) that rocks my world! Not exactly health food, but that's what the pedals are for!

My wife makes pancit (pangsit here in Bali) that rocks my world! Not exactly health food, but that's what the pedals are for!
There's always an occasion to have a feast here in the Philippines. Someone in the extended family or friends has a bday. I eat much less than I used to, and use no salt at home. High blood pressure and cholesterol are pretty common among the populace. Not me though. Fresh veggies and fruits are always available, but the fried foods are hard to resist. I keep bags of frozen lumpia so we can enjoy them all the time. Fried in oil but they are chicken and no salt. That's why I have a bike on a trainer in the shop.

May18 22 exercize.jpg

View attachment 194774
View attachment 194776
Expert wife says about your drivetrai: “it looks like a train!”

i scratched my head, then realized she was right: sort of looks like the wheel(s) of an older locomotive.

I solved the stop problem with just a bolt. It doesn't keep the crank vertical like I wanted but it still has 5 inches of travel.
29 May drive stop.jpg

The kickstand I modified is useless now, won't work on any bike.
26 May 22 d.jpg

Just an engineering misstep, not an error. Like when a politician gets caught in a lie, they just "misspoke".
1653795290397.png

I'm trying the rear stand I've had for a few years. It needs some tweaking, it wasn't straight when new. I need to bend the tabs to fit this frame and it should be good. Now the bike 91 inches long.
29 May 22 rear stand.jpg

It's kind of like the stands on the old scooters.
1653795407394.png

I wanted to save that rear stand for an old frame build I haven't found yet. I have old bars and skip tooth drivetrain but no frame yet. This rear stand would fit that idea, so I went through my junkpile again and might try this stand. It matches the colors.

230 May 22 sidestand.jpg

Latest posts

Back