Schwinn Varsity Party Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So..... here she is at square one.

Definitely more of a tune than a build, BUT , there are still plenty of issues to get this thing truly roadworthy and bike party ready.

Seat and fit: not close: need to lift the seat and maybe the bars

Tires: as they appear to be new, they’re not. Definitely low mileage, but there is some pretty strong dry rot on the rear tire. They’d probably work for 8 miles, but.... oi vey! Not sure how much more after that!!

On my test ride, they definitely felt soft and squishy.... I was definitely not ready for the feel of that ride

It also seemed to pull to the left, but got better as I rode it.

Left pedal: um.... turns. BARELY. It’s closer to seized than free

Front chain ring shifter and lever; works! Sticky and stiff, but works!!!

Rear derailleur; uh.... this may be the first bike with automatic shifting; I just put it in low and pedal! It up-shifts on it’s own about every 50’ until I’m in top gear!!!

Brakes; functional but dry rotted and don’t really grab the wheel

She looks cute, but wow, a long way to go.

Tear down, here we come!!!!!
4DD38A62-7E09-4823-816E-25C2B4E3AC3E.jpeg

3A74B335-0AF0-405E-973E-3D6D70596609.jpeg

E9FAF77D-BFFA-4ADB-9751-546E45D92130.jpeg

It looks great for a 61 Schwinn. The Schwinn paint is known to shine with a couple coats of paste car wax, just be careful of the decals.
As for your gears, the tightener ring thing on the shifter controls the derailleur, it occasionally will need a little tightening. It's a ring so you can tighten it by hand.

Forgot to add;

3-4 seriously loose spokes between the two wheels: none broke and all in very good shape, but some feel like they’re literally going to fall out

also: open to input on the saddle !

Last edited:
I can certainly say I've started with bikes in worse condition that yours. Definitely sounds like you'll need new tires, brake pads and maybe pedals at least. Hopefully you've already got most if not all the parts you need. I can't say I know much about working on anything with more that one speed, so hopefully all that those gears need are a few minor adjustments.

As for the seat, I can't say I'm a fan of the color, compared to the pretty green of the frame and handlebar tape. It's a bit too dark in my opinion. Still, I don't think it's too bad. I just think it'd look nicer if the color was a closer match.

I know you said it was rustier than expected, but I'm not really seeing that in the photos. Maybe a few spots, sure, but overall, that Schwinn looks nice! The road and track bikes aren't usually my thing, especially stock, but I wouldn't mind riding this one with that beautiful green and those cool graphics as they are. That is one sharp Schwinn!

I can certainly say I've started with bikes in worse condition that yours. Definitely sounds like you'll need new tires, brake pads and maybe pedals at least. Hopefully you've already got most if not all the parts you need. I can't say I know much about working on anything with more that one speed, so hopefully all that those gears need are a few minor adjustments.

As for the seat, I can't say I'm a fan of the color, compared to the pretty green of the frame and handlebar tape. It's a bit too dark in my opinion. Still, I don't think it's too bad. I just think it'd look nicer if the color was a closer match.

I know you said it was rustier than expected, but I'm not really seeing that in the photos. Maybe a few spots, sure, but overall, that Schwinn looks nice! The road and track bikes aren't usually my thing, especially stock, but I wouldn't mind riding this one with that beautiful green and those cool graphics as they are. That is one sharp Schwinn!
Most of the stuff I work on is single speed As well. I can tune my trek 3900 daily grinder In a jam. It’s not bike-shop sharp, but it’s pretty close. we’ll see what I get into. I’m fresh out of WD-40 and just wanted to lube things up and see what would move and what wouldn’t. I put 3 in 1 oil on the chain and some of the cables. We’ll see if that does anything. Honestly, i spend a good bit of time on bikes….this thing felt just awful!

I’m definitely on the fence on the saddle as well. It’s not awful, but I do think there’s a saddle out there that would really pop. We’ll see. If I run across a deal, I’ll pick something up. I do have a black leather Schwinn saddle out in my storage garage, but I’m looking for something a little more interesting. I definitely like the Schwinn S on the seat and the rear springs To me look (and feel) great. I do have a green leather seat bag in transit.

I know in the big picture, the bike is relatively rust free. I’ve done, and have in the hopper some real tetanus-mobiles!!!!!

I was hoping for a quick clean and tune this afternoon, but it was a lot more involved. I took off some rust, but there a lot more to go.

Hey Jude, (still not tired of that) I just sent you a message in Conversations about a saddle option.

I really like the overall look of this! As mentioned above, a light coat of buffed car wax will really bring out the color and decals. Use a real soft buffing pad, an old sheepskin bike seat cover works great, or heavy weight polar fleece fabric.

I would replace the brake pads with the red colored pads. They are softer and will provide more grip and stopping power, and I think will compliment your color scheme.

These are the Sunlite Retro Red brake pads, designed for your type of brake caliper. Don't get the V-brake versions, they are designed for a different caliper!

red brake pads.jpg

Like I said, great stopping power and add a real cool vintage vibe! Saw them on Amazon.

RaT oN~!

I really like that frame height, open to more of a cruiser than the typical taller road bike frames.

If you can swap wheels to standard size versus schwin specific you're tire options open up dramatically.

I use a lot of carb cleaner aerosol to de gunk derailleurs and freewheels and remove old dried up grease, if not tearing them down completely. Take time to protect the rest of the bike (piece of cardboard shoved between wheel and derailleur) when spraying it.

It's all there, clean, lube, adjust and it should be up and running smooth

Hey Jude, (still not tired of that) I just sent you a message in Conversations about a saddle option.

I really like the overall look of this! As mentioned above, a light coat of buffed car wax will really bring out the color and decals. Use a real soft buffing pad, an old sheepskin bike seat cover works great, or heavy weight polar fleece fabric.

I would replace the brake pads with the red colored pads. They are softer and will provide more grip and stopping power, and I think will compliment your color scheme.

These are the Sunlite Retro Red brake pads, designed for your type of brake caliper. Don't get the V-brake versions, they are designed for a different caliper!

View attachment 195269

Like I said, great stopping power and add a real cool vintage vibe! Saw them on Amazon.

RaT oN~!
Thanks so much for the help on this! ON IT!

I really like that frame height, open to more of a cruiser than the typical taller road bike frames.

If you can swap wheels to standard size versus schwin specific you're tire options open up dramatically.

I use a lot of carb cleaner aerosol to de gunk derailleurs and freewheels and remove old dried up grease, if not tearing them down completely. Take time to protect the rest of the bike (piece of cardboard shoved between wheel and derailleur) when spraying it.

Thanks so much for your input. I’m fresh out of carb cleaner, but that is an awesome idea. I’ll nab that along with my WD-40

Also…. on the wheels: Great input!

I’m with you a 1000% on that….. but I’m trying to keep this bike as original as possible. The black tires definitely look utilitarian, I may opt for some white walls to perk it up.

pictured on the previous page of this thread is a light blue collegiate: my plans for that bike are right in line with what you’re thinking: wheel swap, cool tires, high end saddle, MTB bars…..

-and turn it into a trainer and put about 1000 miles on it a year!

do you recommend a wheel size that is the quickest/easiest swap for a collegiate?

Ok..... where’s @Wildcat !???

Stumbled across this bike....

Picture mega-zoomed. Thing is for sale: but quite the drive to go get it

Anyone know what it is through all the grainy-ness?
View attachment 195476
It was a 24” Rollfast. Top of the seat tube was mangled and rear rack was mangled where it met the seat tube.

no seat post or seat. Tires shot. Wheels looked pretty good.

When I asked how much: “won’t consider anything under $40.”

ok……. COSIDER me gone! Lol

had a lot of other neat stuff there too…. Huge barn sale. Everything priced at full retail or above

View attachment 195269

RaT oN~!
@OddJob and @Wildcat : is the paste wax enough to bring the paint alive?

the paint feels pretty oxidized.

I’ve seen some “soft cut” stuff on line That is slightly more aggressive than a paste wax, but is not as harsh as traditional rubbing compound.

I just want the thing to glow, and to me, the paint feels pretty rough And I’m afraid the paste wax will shine it, but wont add any depth to the paint… if that makes any since.

That party ride sounds like it was a blast. We used to have a big ride in Savannah once a year pre-covid. I really hope they bring it back this year.

Jude, here is the day I found the Schwinn Sting Ray, and after a light cleaning with 50/50 water / vinegar mix, and Carnuba paste wax, and new decal set.

1977 schwinn stingray project CL.jpg

44404738_258000611571623_4332514973843456000_n (1).jpg

I wanted to go with the 'vintage clean' look...original paint, cleaned and shined, and new decals. And, a few other OJ Hot Rod custom touches.... :grin:

Jude, here is the day I found the Schwinn Sting Ray, and after a light cleaning with 50/50 water / vinegar mix, and Carnuba paste wax, and new decal set.

View attachment 195742

View attachment 195744

I wanted to go with the 'vintage clean' look...original paint, cleaned and shined, and new decals. And, a few other OJ Hot Rod custom touches.... :grin:
EPIC! I got the vinegar bath done! I’ll get the standard wax and give it a rip!

-LOVE those white letter tires!!!

Latest posts

Back