Bamboozle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took it out for a first ride. The heat index was already at 100f, so it was just a couple minutes. It worked by kicking and with the pedals. The trail of the front wheel is like I thought it would be, a lot of flop in the steering. When I pedaled it was hard to keep my balance but it did work. The brakes were barely enough, it will need the second one hooked up. I'll take it out again later when it cools off and do a video. If the board was flat it would be better.
31 May test2.jpg

I started to do another ride, but the way the board angles up on the sides won't get it. I never have a good footing. The brake problem will get fixed Thursday with a long cable, but that leaves the problem with not being able to roll backwards. The bolt or the housing is bent already. So a solution needs to be worked on. Maybe a redesign.

I get pretty much all of what you are saying. I wondered about balancing and pedaling at the same time, I know I'd have issues with it myself. And the sloping sides of the board don't give you a level platform for 'purchase'. And that's probably a lot of bike to get stopped quickly.

BUT, the general overall look of it and the stance is extremely cool! And your concept of propulsion looks like it's working pretty well. :113:

I wonder, if to alleviate some of the front wheel 'flop', if the bars were a little more vertical if that would help?

You will figure out a redesign (if it's needed) and work around any of the issues you are facing. I've seen you do it many times before~!

I did raise the bars vertically last night but never took a ride because of the board shape. As I imagined at first, I can get a board made here fairly easily that looks good and is flat. Also custom fit to the frame. The skateboard will still be used on something else, the frame in the middle is the problem with it.
The no rolling backward is the biggest hurdle.

I might have solved the problems. Steering angle board shape, and can't roll backwards.
There is no rear hub that will let you roll backwards without turning the pedals, so the solution is to go to a regular crankset. I'll have to run a mile of chain (10 feet) and some tensioners.
1 Jun cranks.jpg

The regular crankset will create other new problems.
Not enough ground clearance, only an inch to the ground from the pedals and the pedals won't be in a good spot all the time for pedaling from the board. And the cranks will hit the front of the board.
So, the fork needs a modification to raise the front high enough for the cranks. A correction to the steering angle is needed also.
By repositioning the flanges, I get enough height, but needed to use a longer set of forks for the extension. the 26" fork was just the right length. The flange is 60 mm at it's longest point. That leaves out the chrome 20" fork I cut up. Another "engineering anomaly". I thought it may have been another misstep, but I was wrong.
1 Jun fork.jpg

1 Jun springer1.jpg

I checked the pedal clearance and it's good now. It may have a better steering angle.

1 Jun clearance.jpg

1 Jun springer.jpg

The board needs to be a few inches back to stay clear of the cranks. I measured where to cut the board off flush, but then looked into increasing the slot so it keeps it's length. The rear will extend well past the rear tire, like wings. The holes for mounting will still work, only three which will suffice.

1 Jun board.jpg

Since the pedals won't have the drive system, they won't be in a good spot to pedal when standing up. So, kicking will be the propulsion method while standing and at the height probably won't be the primary method. The pedals will be used when sitting down and riding. A seat is in the planning stage.

I can't get a hub like that over here, but that's ok, I have a new plan. Why not have two entries, one in each category?

This will be a rat recumbent and renamed. Maybe Sleazy Rider since it sits low to the ground. Definition from the web: "Something that is sleazy is low and nasty".

Scurf will use another frame with the same board to make a rat kick bike. It will have to be a Class Two build, because the donor frame has to get cut up and new parts welded in.

It's in the planning stage right now, but it looks like the board won't get cut into any more, it will be completely accessible with no frame down the middle so it should be easily ridden. I'll lay it out tomorrow and see if any of it makes any sense.

Renaming this build "Sleazy Rider".
A play on what the frame was made for, an easy racer recumbent. Same frame without the longboard. Designing or finding a seat will be a challenge. I ordered up a sissy bar yesterday. Less than 4 bucks so I'm not sure what it will be like. The picture looked good. That may serve as a support for a backrest. With the springer I made has the rat look, but there should be more. With the 1.50 rear tire and 2 speeds it should be pretty fast.

Last edited:
Instead of some new tensioners for the chain, I dug out a Suntour derailleur that still looks good but the wheels are worn out.
Jun 3 suntour.jpg

It works, giving enough tension. I put together all my leftover chain and had enough. I'll use new chain when it's ready, this is just for a look. It needs 110 inches of chain. I don't know how many new chains that is. I'll have to research or just buy three of them.
Jun 3 chain on.jpg

I also have both brakes hooked up. The bottom brake took every bit of the longest cable they had. I didn't trim off anything.

Jun 3 dual brakes.jpg

The sissy bar and pad showed up already. The pad fit like it was made for it. To see where the seat should be, I used a chair to determine the distance to the pedals. The sissy bar will mount up as a seat back. There will have to be a couple of struts going back to hold it, as it will take a lot of the strain when I'm pedaling. On a recumbent, what you lose by not being able to lean over the pedals is made up somewhat by pushing against the seat. I'm still thinking about a seat and how to mount it to the frame.
5 Jun sleazy sissybar.jpg

Just caught up on all of the wicked cool redneck engineering going on with this build, unbuild, and now rebuild! Just like all of your builds it was a fun and educating ride and read. Good luck with both builds brother!

1654547583116.png

I tried a couple different ways to mount the seat. I trimmed the 7/8ths collar so it would go over the 1" tubing on the frame, but then the bolt wouldn't have room to go through. Then I dug through the old parts pile and am using the bracket from a tensioner.
10 Jun collar1.jpg

It's on there.
10 Jun seat2.jpg

Sparks as I trimmed the collar. Double feature! Pass the popcorn! 🍿Both at the same time!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I tried a couple different ways to mount the seat. I trimmed the 7/8ths collar so it would go over the 1" tubing on the frame, but then the bolt wouldn't have room to go through. Then I dug through the old parts pile and am using the bracket from a tensioner.
View attachment 196306

It's on there.
View attachment 196309

Sparks as I trimmed the collar. Double feature! Pass the popcorn! 🍿Both at the same time!:thumbsup:

View attachment 196310
Wildcat, I admire your perseverance. This redirection has been a great recovery from the earlier setback. Your projects are always good to follow.

A king/queen saddle would be awesome on this!!!

1655153732490.png

I ordered another sissy bar and pad because they were so cheap. But looking at them, I can join them together for a double sissy bar back rest. I now plan to make a seat pan to match it of some kind. I wasn't completely sold on the big cruiser seat, it needs something different. Something royally sleazy.
With the removal of the springer, I also found the right spot for the kickstand. No leaning over and dropping from the weight.

16 Jun twin sissybar.jpg

Latest posts

Back