Raleigh Twenty Rat project.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: Pretty much done. I call it the same as my username 'Cargo 13'

Test runs went well, nice n smooth, a great ride.

Freewheel added and chain installed, unfortunately it was either as either slack as a cows a*se or tight as a nuns.
It sits near the end of the drop outs but i am assured it's ok, also the chain will stretch? So there may be more adjustment.

My kind neighbour Alan made a brake extension (drop bolt) and it works a treat, the carrier rack also holds it in place.

Couple of small things, new pedals and maybe a saddle too, unless I can stop the original one squeaking!
Bit of rattle on the carrier rack, need to sort that.
Also really like the rear light I took off the mudguard so I'll fit this under the rack or buy one of the original trays off ebay, or even make my own and fix under that. Been thinking about mounting two sideways? Think 50's Cadillacs. Either way 1 or 2 I will eventually get around to fitting LED's.
And of course, more stickers :)

Cheers

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
7.png
tray.png

Update: Pretty much done. I call it the same as my username 'Cargo 13'

Test runs went well, nice n smooth, a great ride.

Freewheel added and chain installed, unfortunately it was either as either slack as a cows a*se or tight as a nuns.
It sits near the end of the drop outs but i am assured it's ok, also the chain will stretch? So there may be more adjustment.

My kind neighbour Alan made a brake extension (drop bolt) and it works a treat, the carrier rack also holds it in place.

Couple of small things, new pedals and maybe a saddle too, unless I can stop the original one squeaking!
Bit of rattle on the carrier rack, need to sort that.
Also really like the rear light I took off the mudguard so I'll fit this under the rack or buy one of the original trays off ebay, or even make my own and fix under that. Been thinking about mounting two sideways? Think 50's Cadillacs. Either way 1 or 2 I will eventually get around to fitting LED's.
And of course, more stickers :)

Cheers

View attachment 196116View attachment 196117View attachment 196118View attachment 196119View attachment 196120View attachment 196121View attachment 196122
Love it, looks really cool, and advertising the best Sk8 mag ever which makes me think at some stage you could use a Sk8 deck as a rear carrier, i cut a Sk8 deck up for a seat and frame panels for my "lockdown" build

makes me think at some stage you could use a Sk8 deck as a rear carrier,
Hmmmmmmmmmm now that's got me thinking!!!!???? Coincidentally i'm currently deciding how to attach the 2 rear lights together (another is on the way from ebay) and then fix to the carrier rack? A skateboard would do this! Brilliant idea mate.

I'm taking inspiration from the Mod scooter scene over here for the 2 rear lights. Even thought about adding a third from a Lambretta above?
Theres a mock-up below, imagine another one on the left. Small gap in middle, possibly bolting them together either a block of Wood or plastic?
Then somehow as yet undecided fixing to the carrier.

Truth is one of the the skateparks I go to the car park fee has doubled to £2 an hour! I can spend 2 hours there easy, and I go several times a week (age 52🤟!) I refuse to pay that so there are plenty of other places to park nearby (or not for a longer ride :D). The bike easily fits into the back of the car so I intend to cycle two and fro. A warm-up and cool down too!
Also have few more Skate stickers to add, even a lost sheet of Tamiya Sand-Rover radio controlled car stickers are going on.
And fruit stickers. Dunno why? I just like them. It'll be very personalised, it's my bike!!!!

erar light.jpg

Last edited:
Right? Lol we're going to need a R20 Shootout! Thanks for the inspiration, @Cargo13 always excellent to see something unexpected
Wow, I'm glad you're inspired. Thanks You very much indeed for your comments.
It's been interesting to have had an idea in my head and now its nearly finished. A learning curve too.
As Kustom car people say 'built not bought!'.

It's really smooth to ride, and most importantly FUN! Riding from the park yesterday I caught a reflection of myself smiling like a kid!
Now you cant get me off it. I love it!

Last edited:
I look forward to seeing what you do.
I will do something unique but I will restrain myself and make it utility based,mudguards maybe, rear and front racks hhhmmmm we will see, got a bit on now so may be awhile but will get the frame and put in my storage container out of the weather

I will do something unique but I will restrain myself and make it utility based,mudguards maybe, rear and front racks hhhmmmm we will see, got a bit on now so may be awhile but will get the frame and put in my storage container out of the weather
That was the underlying factor with mine 'utility' based, functional too.

The more "Dad Bike" a townie looks, the less bike thieves will even glance at it. Mine gets completely ignored, just the way I like it.
It’s too bad that doesn’t work around here. Any kind of a bike would be stolen just for the tires and inner tubes.

Unfortunately, we have manufactured the worlds largest population of homeless bike pedalers.

5 years ago they didn’t have to lock up the tires and inner tubes at our Walmart.

Sorry…old man…Early morning rant syndrome…

Latest posts

Back