Advice sought on preserving aluminum finish...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Central New York State near the Erie Canal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having learned alot from this forum, I thought I might get help with the Project 39-1/2 motorcycle. The bike has alloy triple trees. I used a fine wire wheel which produced a nice satin finish that I think is perfect for the bike. But how can I preserve this look? Not wanting to paint, powder coat or have high polish. Here's a photo...
Thanks
Al

Back when we were still racing flat track all of the guys that had vintage bikes with cast triple trees with a brushed finish would typically just wax them. Occasionally you will have to hit it with some very fine scotch bright and clean up the surface and re wax but it should help to maintain the satin look

Last edited:
I have had good results using this wax,
https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T...olish&qid=1653780594&sr=8-2&tag=forumyield-20
81rC4oL-IKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

s2400017-jpg.194984

The thing is most waxes turn white when dry, leaving residue. This Ice wax dries clear and works amazing on aluminum.

Automotive stores and most hardware stores will have aluminum sealant. Comes in spray and wipe applications and generally lasts 3-6months between applications.

Lesson learned by those of us silly enough to strip the clear coat off our aluminum slots bitd, to polish them, only to end up with blotches of oxidation a couple months later

Automotive stores and most hardware stores will have aluminum sealant. Comes in spray and wipe applications and generally lasts 3-6months between applications.

Lesson learned by those of us silly enough to strip the clear coat off our aluminum slots bitd, to polish them, only to end up with blotches of oxidation a couple months later
Actually that is just how my Haro frame looked. Blotches of dull and shiny coated aluminum. I was getting nervous fooling around with cleaners and solvents just made it look worse! I had a bottle of ICE wax in stock and gave it a try and it made the aluminum frame look nice and shiny again.

We used to seal freshly finished aluminum in boiling water, which closes the pores with hard aluminum oxide.

I don’t know if this works for different alloys, but we were doing 6063 T5.

If you don’t want to Wax all the time you are going to have to clear coat the aluminum or keep it lubed.

I have a couple of aluminum alloy MTBs that I want to strip too. Loved BLO on my crusty steel frame, but does it discolor the aluminum too much? Thinking of the yellowing effect...
Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back