GT Avalanche BMX conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this frame lying around staring at me for some time. Pieced together from surplus around the shop.
15EDEB0C-7B98-44BF-98A8-FD98D1F915B9.jpeg
7EA1A9A7-C309-4EEC-AC21-9AEA21F5FA45.jpeg
7EE02864-BAD8-4DBC-BFDC-493C437F584E.jpeg
E67B2992-DDB7-4592-8420-D888E3ABBF27.jpeg
The only thing I had to purchase was the Surly Singleator. Pleasantly surprised with the results.

Last edited:
Wow, I saw a GT something that was BMX'd on youtube and took an old GT I had laying around and did the same thing. I call it my Ghetto Fast Ripper. I may even put a number plate on it to tweak the SE guys.
Its really a comfortable bike. I need to adjust the derailleur a bit .

Attachments

• 20220611_104921.jpg
    20220611_104921.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 31
The one I saw on youtube, the guy welded a disc brake mount on the cromoly frame. I had an aluminum frame with a disc mount already there. Disc brakes are awesome.
I've got another GT same year with paint just the opposite. These were $75 pickups

Attachments

• IMG_20211008_152833675.jpg
    IMG_20211008_152833675.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 11
Beautiful build! I actually have that same frame out in my storage garage……. I had no idea what to do with it! That thing looks awesome!

or I think mine is called a nomad?
I put a 29in fork on mine just cause I had one that wasnt used. It matches the longer length of the suspension fork that came off. But many of the early 90's bikes came with rigid forks, so you can use those or replace with a 26 inch fork. Good luck with yours!

I had a chance to spend time on that GT Saturday night. Big rideout in Phoenix. That bike is extremely comfortable and I was instantly at home on it. I guess its the geometry, but before the ride I took it down the street and discovered my wheelie skills are not gone after all. Imagine that, 61 and still doing wheelies LOL

I put a 29in fork on mine just cause I had one that wasnt used. It matches the longer length of the suspension fork that came off. But many of the early 90's bikes came with rigid forks, so you can use those or replace with a 26 inch fork. Good luck with yours!
i have been considering it but haven’t resolved the front brake issue with that yet. Don’t feel like going disc.

Do you mean a 26 inch fork with a caliper mount? There are MTB forks with those, but doesnt look like a bmx fork.
No, I mean run 29 inch fork but 26;wheel. So rim bakes will have to be fabbed. I may use the U brake adapter I have and extend it an inch or braze on v brake posts. But all ears. Just want to keep it more retro.

If your heart is set on a 29 fork, you may have to get creative and braze some brake mounts. Which doesnt appear all that difficult if you have the tools.

Most bmx bikes these days have a single rear brake (or many times none). But I've not been happy with the stopping power of just one caliper brake. The rear disc is way more capable than just a caliper or even a v brake.

If I didnt have the aluminum frame with disc mount, I would have searched out an older chromo frame and welded one up. and again, had I the 26 fork available, or I would have used it. I dont know that the extra inch of length on the 29er fork is going to change the geometry that much. a suspension fork spends a lot of its life half compressed between normal sag and body weight. The longer the fork, the more stress and bending leverage there is on it as well

Most bmx bikes these days have a single rear brake (or many times none). But I've not been happy with the stopping power of just one caliper brake. The rear disc is way more capable than just a caliper or even a v brake.
IMO, a rear brake is largely used for control and not stopping power. Pure BMX racing, skate park riding and freestyle don't require a brake for power, but are there largely for control. In the dirt flow trail and paved pump track realms, I prefer two brakes where the front is used solely for braking power when needed and the rear solely for control purposes. Normally for trail riding, I'll wear out front brake pads 2x faster than the rear pads and in the flow/pump track realm the rear pads wear out 2x faster than the front pads do. One of my upcoming 26" Pump Track/Flow Trail builds is going to feature a 29er disc fork up front and v-brake rear for the above reasons.

As always, YMMV...

IMO, a rear brake is largely used for control and not stopping power. Pure BMX racing, skate park riding and freestyle don't require a brake for power, but are there largely for control. In the dirt flow trail and paved pump track realms, I prefer two brakes where the front is used solely for braking power when needed and the rear solely for control purposes. Normally for trail riding, I'll wear out front brake pads 2x faster than the rear pads and in the flow/pump track realm the rear pads wear out 2x faster than the front pads do. One of my upcoming 26" Pump Track/Flow Trail builds is going to feature a 29er disc fork up front and v-brake rear for the above reasons.

As always, YMMV...
Yours looks good as is. I think with the smallish frame you still have the rake with that 26er fork. mine is a medium but the rake seems about the same as yours.

@ingola are you watching this one?

Has anyone ever shortened the seatpost tube on one of these? If you cut it off close to the top tube, would there still be room for a clamp?

Latest posts

Back