Willi Witch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some free time yesterday so i respoked the wheel. Been a while since i did a 4 cross pattern.
20220629_193359.jpg
20220629_195722.jpg

I wet sanded the rim and aplied 2 coats of BLO en also applied BLO to the spokes
Regreased the hub with some original sachs grease, tensioned and trued the wheel.
20220701_085658.jpg
20220629_195944.jpg
20220701_093654.jpg

Looks old, functiones like new
Next up is the front wheel

Attachments

• 20220629_193351.jpg
    20220629_193351.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 5
Reworked the front wheel today
20220703_150214.jpg
20220703_151137.jpg

Respoked it, sanded the rim and gave it 2 coats of BLO
20220703_193335.jpg

I sure love lacing wheels, it's a relaxing therapeutic thing to do. I used to do it weekly but since i changed jobs i don't do it a lot anymore
20220703_195040.jpg

Then cleaned the bearings and cones and found out there were just cones, well thats why i needed to keep adjusting them😂
Man are all the post war ball retainers like this? There are only 5 balls in each ring😮
20220703_200656.jpg

Well since i left my truing stand in my van i'm pretty much done for now, thanks for watching again guys!

I just noticed this is a 'rolling Park Tool box' !

View attachment 198966

The interior light caught my eye. Do you do house call repairs with this van? Looks well stocked!
Nice! I'm still thinking about converting an old horsebox trailer into a mobile workshop one day... (not only for bikes)

Nice! I'm still thinking about converting an old horsebox trailer into a mobile workshop one day... (not only for bikes)
The nice thing about the horse trailers is they are designed for horses to stand up in, so the ceiling height works for humans as well!

I just noticed this is a 'rolling Park Tool box' !

View attachment 198966

The interior light caught my eye. Do you do house call repairs with this van? Looks well stocked!
Oh yes its a mobile bike shop, it is really well stocked. Just google Get Bike Service and you will find us. We mostly do B2B but i do have some regular customers now and then. But as i said most of them is B2B, and those are cargobikes for delivery services inside citys.
20220607_133024.jpg

Sometimes you get beauty like this although racing bikes aint my thang😅
20220616_125429.jpg
20220610_125851.jpg

Sometimes you get beauty like this although racing bikes aint my thang😅View attachment 198995
Continue working on your BO bike. . . I'll test the R3🚴‍♂️

You don't use nipple washers for steel hoops at any time. A reason why so many of us find old wheels with many loose spokes is due to the metal stretching at the rim spoke holes.

I'm a builder and often see amateurs recommend highest multi-cross spoke pattern without realizing there is excessive negative spoke head clearance. I had wheels come to me where the spoke heads cut into adjacent spokes causing fractures. Spokes can overlap for low performance builds in most cases.

I wonder why few hub bearings were used. Was it economical or efficiency🤔

Continue working on your BO bike. . . I'll test the R3🚴‍♂️

You don't use nipple washers for steel hoops at any time. A reason why so many of us find old wheels with many loose spokes is due to the metal stretching at the rim spoke holes.

I'm a builder and often see amateurs recommend highest multi-cross spoke pattern without realizing there is excessive negative spoke head clearance. I had wheels come to me where the spoke heads cut into adjacent spokes causing fractures. Spokes can overlap for low performance builds in most cases.

I wonder why few hub bearings were used. Was it economical or efficiency🤔
Haha done deal!

About the washers, what exactly do you mean by this?
The wheels were cross 4 spoked so i just did it again. I just noticed that older wheels are 4 cross and most newer wheels are 3 cross. The bikes they produce nowadays are even 2 cross..

What it is with the bearings, could be both... Good quality steel, precision made, expensive so let's not use too many😅

Examples of various nipple washers. Nipple washers increase the strength of the rim and reduce friction and consequently, the wear between the nipple and rim.
Washers Sapim.png

A notice in 2 cross laced wheels today is generally due to lower rim/hub spoke hole counts.

Here's a cross pattern relationship. The max cross count for 20h is 2 cross. Max for 28h is 3 cross. Max for 36h is 4 cross.
Notice the spoke head clearance for a 36h 4 cross laced wheel. The spoke head is in contact with the adjacent spoke. That is less than ideal.
4cross.jpg

There is plenty of clearance for a 48h 4 cross. Overlapping spokes for homemade wheels is acceptable. Pros avoid such spoke contact. Back in the day many wheels were laced with all spokes crossed over each other.

Finished the front wheel today, tensioned an trued it. Regreased the bearings.
Gave the frame a coat of BLO
20220707_201058.jpg

Couldn't resist doing a quick mock up🙂
This isn't the fork i'll be using for the final build but just to get an idea.
20220707_201749.jpg

Then i could also play with some ideas i have in my head, maybe a rear fender.
20220707_202119.jpg

Not too fond of it yet, if i decide to use it will follow the tire better.
How about a chainguard..
20220707_202355.jpg

The thing i like best about it is this.
20220707_205024.jpg

It fits perfect right up to the end where it drops down a bit.
And ofcourse i had to mount the headbadge🥰
20220707_203506.jpg

That chainguard looks nice! Indeed, the pointy end looks great.

I like where this build is going, craftsmanship.

At the first picture, is that a greenwall tire?

And I like the friendly face of mr skippyball :grin:

That chainguard looks nice! Indeed, the pointy end looks great.

I like where this build is going, craftsmanship.

At the first picture, is that a greenwall tire?

And I like the friendly face of mr skippyball :grin:
Yeah, right?
Not that is a green rim, scrapped an Electra a while back.
Yes you know with kids in the house there are toys everywhere😅

Yeah, right?
Not that is a green rim, scrapped an Electra a while back.
Yes you know with kids in the house there are toys everywhere😅
;) I know, and grandma brings the most toys. There are dolls everywhere in my house [help me]

Latest posts

Back