Revenant

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rain stopped, I made my parts. I’m taking a break so I don’t get more frustrated. A lot of hammering, squeezing, drift punching and bending today. I was more a blacksmith today than a mechanic.
6CDD5459-324F-4F05-B8A6-F34674FE6D62.jpeg

What a mess all these parts have been. The head badge won’t fit the head tube diameter very well so it’s being glued and clamped. I made a cork track style top tube protector, which is also glued and clamped. The chain is not seating well on the chainring, odd as it’s the original chain and ring. It’s noisy. The rear hub spacing is original specs. It’s probably not fitting after the tons of rust that have been removed. Oh well, grind it until it fits.
4997C299-4AC7-4579-A2C6-2463AB6C61A4.jpeg

I took it for a short ride tonight. This thing is fearsome, scary. I’ll have to lower the seat, my usual 32 inch pedal to seat top is too high. The frame is huge, tall bottom bracket, seven inch crank. I can’t believe that hooligan scorchers raced these things for money on city streets and sidewalks. No brakes, very grunty gears, the fastest thing in the city. I’ll have to take it very easy, you could kill yourself on one of these so called safety bikes. I guess after the high wheelers these things were the modern equivalent of seat belts and air bags. I have to get the tires dirty.
B1C7DA67-6C51-4A88-94A1-D9BCC538B2BF.jpeg

Cauight up. Those brats and your lakeside kitchen are awesome!
But it was even more fun watching your recipe for paint and patina come to life.
This is looking awesome. I'll have to remember that stove black stuff.

Maybe a few handfulls of wet sand from your shoreline rubbed on the tires will take some of that 'white off the rice' ?

Bike looks fantastic! My skiptooth '37 Hawthorne, with the original chainring, cog,and chain also has a kind of chattery rumble, especially at lower speeds. Heavier lubing helps some, there is a lot of surface contact area on those drivetrains.

Again, marvelous work on this steed! 🍻

Cauight up. Those brats and your lakeside kitchen are awesome!
But it was even more fun watching your recipe for paint and patina come to life.
This is looking awesome. I'll have to remember that stove black stuff.
I also used stove black polish on the pedals, post, stem, bars, all nuts, bolts, fittings and crank assembly. There we’re many pits in the metal once the rust was gone and the stove polish penetrates into them. I used it instead of paint and it looks more natural. I‘m happy with the fake aging.

It’s pretty easy to make white walls turn yellow. Put some brake fluid on a yellow cloth and you wipe the white wall.

Practice on an old one until you figure out how to do it without making a mess.

is the chain running in the same direction as when you took it off? Know what I mean? maybe you flipped it so the current links facing out were facing in?

anyway, this bike is a beaut. You did a great job. The bicycle gods are smiling on you.

is the chain running in the same direction as when you took it off? Know what I mean? maybe you flipped it so the current links facing out were facing in?

anyway, this bike is a beaut. You did a great job. The bicycle gods are smiling on you.
I’ll reverse it tomorrow. Thanks

I’m awake, but sore. My son is also achy. He rode the Claud Butler 1930s wood wheeled track bike with me. I had leg cramps and we both have sore arms, shoulders, back and fingers. It was fun, the temp touched 90F yesterday along the Lake Superior bike path. It was beautiful. We proved there is pleasure in pain. Soon I’ll try another shake down cruise but a few issues need attending to first. I have to take the fixes slow and try and get them as right as possible. Right now frustration wants me to fix all the issues with JB Weld and be done with it. I’m contemplating othe ways, staring at our lake, watching the wildlife, drinking coffee and licking my wounds. We are going South to Green Bay today so my son can catch his flight to NYC. We’ll be back at 2AM.
93C642D3-4347-4641-B938-57762937A7AD.jpeg
6723EF1D-CD2C-4500-ACC6-8D45B91CAFF2.png

Last edited:
I’m awake, but sore. My son is also achy. He rode the Claud Butler 1930s wood wheeled track bike with me. I had leg cramps and we both have sore arms, shoulders, back and fingers. It was fun, the temp touched 90F yesterday along the Lake Superior bike path. It was beautiful. We proved there is pleasure in pain. Soon I’ll try another shake down cruise but a few issues need attending to first. I have to take the fixes slow and try and get them as right as possible. Right now frustration wants me to fix all the issues with JB Weld and be done with it. I’m contemplating othe ways, staring at our lake, watching the wildlife, drinking coffee and licking my wounds. We are going South to Green Bay today so my son can catch his flight to NYC. We’ll be back at 2AM.View attachment 201603View attachment 201604
Are your repaired pedals holding up?

Are your repaired pedals holding up?
One is not working. After six miles the race tightened up because the homemade “D” ring lock washer failed. I can’t find one tiny enough so I made one, which failed. I’ll use a nos set of pedals I have until I can come up with a lock washer idea. I wish there was a grove in the spindle instead of a flat spot for the “D” ring.

Thanks for the update. Your rebuild and repair of the pedals was very interesting.
I’m still scratching my head, trying to figure out how to make a lock D washer that is so tiny. I might try welding but I can’t figure out how to attach a ground. For my repair I used a thin U washer that I filed round on one side. Sort of like a paper clip. That worked for awhile but it wasn’t robust enough. I really need a small D washer.

You have to weld some tail to the washer, and then clamp that down to your table, with the ground.

Or just take the clamp off and bolt your cable right to the little washer.

Latest posts

Back