πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁 - BO17 Build Journal - Finished in 3rd Place - 1937 Uncle Stretch Colson XLWB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out for a shakedown ride and things were going well. No noises or chainslap or scrapes.
But about 20 blocks away something gave way in the rear. I remember thinking that the retention spring for the offset cog didn't seem like it was quite going allllll the way into place, but it seemed secure. Well, I shouldn't have assumed that. It popped off under the torque of pulling away at about my 6th stop sign/light. The cog didn't completely come off and neither did the chain. But I had to ride the bike like a seated version of @Wildcat 's Scurf scooter all the way back home.

Nothing broken. I just have to pull the wheel and figure why the ring won't go into place. I have a feeling that maybe the thickness of this cog is out of tolerance with what it is supposed to be. It's probably 1mm too thick or something. We'll see tomorrow. If it's that simple, then I'll carefully grind it down a little. If not, I'll figure out another solution or go back to the non offset cog.

20220807_161727.jpg

Went out for a shakedown ride and things were going well. No noises or chainslap or scrapes.
But about 20 blocks away something gave way in the rear. I remember thinking that the retention spring for the offset cog didn't seem like it was quite going allllll the way into place, but it seemed secure. Well, I shouldn't have assumed that. It popped off under the torque of pulling away at about my 6th stop sign/light. The cog didn't completely come off and neither did the chain. But I had to ride the bike like a seated version of @Wildcat 's Scurf scooter all the way back home.

Nothing broken. I just have to pull the wheel and figure why the ring won't go into place. I have a feeling that maybe the thickness of this cog is out of tolerance with what it is supposed to be. It's probably 1mm too thick or something. We'll see tomorrow. If it's that simple, then I'll carefully grind it down a little. If not, I'll figure out another solution or go back to the non offset cog.

View attachment 203608
I have had the same problem with the cog coming off the hub too. I fixed it by grinding a little off each side of the clip.

Any chance you have a 3/32 chain on there and the cog is 1/8?

No, the chain works fine on the teeth. and both should be 1/8
I noticed issues installing the retainer ring, but thought I had it good enough. :D

I have had that problem from a slightly too thick cog. I have been living with it and it hasn't popped off yet. I can tell the retention ring isn't seated all the way down in the groove. For me it happened when I switched from the OEM 18T to an aftermarket 20T.

I have had the same problem with the cog coming off the hub too. I fixed it by grinding a little off each side of the clip.

WHen you say that you ground some off the clip, do you mean you ground the retainining ring?
I was thinking I would grind these edges a little after I check them with my calipers.

1659916952880.png

Yes, the retaining ring. It is spring steel and very hard. I have done it a couple of times as some cogs are thicker. Grind down a little off one side, fit it and check if the ring is seated all the way in the groove. If you pull on the sprocket and the ring and sprocket pops off you need to take a little more off.

Last edited:
That’s a pretty ’slick’ bracket solution bud, genius!

Once again the gift that keeps on giving. Dug up this early pic of the rollaway bed spring steel that I keep talking about. I've been cutting away at this in just about every build off over the past 11 years. This stuff is awesome!

1659920470237.png

WHen you say that you ground some off the clip, do you mean you ground the retainining ring?
I was thinking I would grind these edges a little after I check them with my calipers.

View attachment 203639
I would grind the back side.
Also, where did you buy that cog? I might need one for the Sturmey...

This memory popped up from my very first RRB build off bike back in 2011. Here I am on a ride with BEER RUN

1659974220014.png

(Who sang the song I cannot recall, but the words will never be forgotten.)

B double E double R U N
Beer run!
B double E double R U N
Beer run!

All we need is a 10 and a fiver
Car and a key and a sober driver.

B double E double R U N
Beer run!

Worked on using the offset cog with a couple of different retainer rings. One made from round stock and another made from square stock. Same results of it torqueing loose when riding strong from a stop or even riding in the grass of Forsyth Park.

Went back to the previous slight dish cog and took it through the paces with no issues whatsoever. I even cleaned the whitewalls to test for chain rub and not a single mark. Even down bumpy brick paved Jones Street (pic below).

Also threw in a couple of Architecture pics for @Ulu :D

20220808_173702.jpg
20220808_174501 (2).jpg
20220808_174630 (2).jpg
20220808_175029 (2).jpg

I only had to reload this page 3 times to get all the pictures to come up. Things keep timing out on the web, waiting for me lol.

I got things arranged nicely today, and it turns out that my sprocket will be fine.

I thought I was having alignment problems, but I just had the sprockets and the idler too close together

It sounds to me like you’re not gonna be able to retain that heavily offset sprocket with the ordinary ring.

Perhaps the groove in that drive screw isn’t quite deep enough? A little wheel spinning and a jewelers file might get you what you need.

I only had to reload this page 3 times to get all the pictures to come up. Things keep timing out on the web, waiting for me lol.

I got things arranged nicely today, and it turns out that my sprocket will be fine.

I thought I was having alignment problems, but I just had the sprockets and the idler too close together

It sounds to me like you’re not gonna be able to retain that heavily offset sprocket with the ordinary ring.

Perhaps the groove in that drive screw isn’t quite deep enough? A little wheel spinning and a jewelers file might get you what you need.

No need. It all works fine with the regular cog, so I'm not worried about it.

Here are some greenery pics from the ride.
I'm glad to have the rear cog settled with the regular cog. Now that it's settled and the chainguard placement is good and secure, I can start working on the skirt fins and tank.

20220808_173405.jpg
20220808_173439.jpg
20220808_173623.jpg
20220808_173630.jpg
20220808_173642.jpg
20220808_173654.jpg

Latest posts

Back