Hawg Wylde, my 1962 Schwinn Typhoon 20" Pig Bike Build Off #17 Class 1 Entry.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have half the shifter mechanism functional, although I do admit to cheating a little on it.
I borrowed a couple parts from my 3 speed Stik Shift. I forgot to take a photo of it so I will when I wake up again.

I am working on bracketing the plate in the center on both ends and clamping it to the Twin Bars without any drilling or frame damage. I will post when I have that part functional.

I changed the brake levers today with a pair I built from parts in my brake lever box. I always liked the hidden screw and strap arrangement Weinmann used. Although these are not marked as such, they are old and all the parts are identical.

I also cut the brake cable housings and have both on the bike but not finished. I bought the solder on mushroom fitting and the barrel that it attaches through on the drum so it looks factory. I may have that done tomorrow as well.
I have enough housing left to do both shifters and am using the same barrel end cables that the brake levers use.

I promised a photo of the functional shifter so here it is.
20220813_150724.jpg
I figured out part of my Stik Shift mechanism would have to be cut off to clear the frame. I am not cutting up part of a shifter I need on another project, so I went to my machine shop, consisting of a 25 year old tool sale drill press, a discarded bench grinder I left out in the weather for 2 years before I decided to test it and a DeWalt angle grinder on its second cord and its third life. I made a piece that matches it in the important areas and Voila!
I am going to make the other piece tomorrow or Monday, leaving only the wire spring, a bearing check ball and a spring I need to replace ASAP so I can put the other shifter back together.
Photo comparing the two pieces below.
20220813_174901.jpg

Attachments

• 20220813_150729.jpg
    20220813_150729.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice machine shop work!
Love the shifters!

I imagine daily what I could do with a mill, a lathe and an English Wheel.
I did buy a Snap-On Plasma Cutter for $100 that needs a new air valve and a Century 300 GMAW welding unit that needs repair, but I do not have 220V ran to my shed yet so I haven't fixed them yet.
A 3D printer would put me in Xanadu.

Thanks again everyone for the responses! I am down to the wire and haven't yet responded to many other builds, I have seen a lot though and I can appreciate the thought and work that went into all of them.

I forgot to mention that I finished the rear brake cable today, which normally would not be worth mentioning but this one has a soldered on mushroom that goes through a barrel similar to motorcycle cables. In fact the pieces I used are for motorcycle choke and throttle cable ends.
Now I have the front to do but I have to make a part to hold the adjuster that I can live with, the adjuster for these is almost unobtainable. I misplaced the bag with all the brake parts in it and have not located it yet.
I will take some photos of the finished end tomorrow as well as a shot of the mini torch that made soldering it a 15 second job.

Last edited:
I figured out the wire spring for the shifter mechanism, when I get moving in the morning I think there is a burned matress spring frame in the back neat one of the burn piles. Hopefully the metal did not lose tension in the fire, it will make a great wire spring.

I went to the bed spring storage facility out by the burn pile and after 3 tries I finally found a spring the right size that had not lost its temper, wasn't too fat and didn't snap off on me for trying to bend it into a semblance of what it needed to look like.
Now the only piece left to duplicate is the piece that hooks to the other end of the spring. Then I need a 5/16" bearing for a detent ball (already found several in junk Walmart bike bottom bracket bearings) and spring about 1/4" OD with enough tension to hold the detent ball firmly so there are no missed shifts.
I wonder how many of us thought about this when we were 14 years old?

Even though this spring seems to keep tension fine I found a box spring unit at the other end of the park this evening. Tomorrow I am cutting a couple springs out of it and make one more spring so I can try to get the bends better.
20220814_154330.jpg

The last message was supposed to post yesterday but apparently it didn't happen. Since I worked so hard on it I went ahead and posted it anyway.

Now for today's post, which may not come until Wednesday.

I had a minor problem with the shift detents with the new spring and ball even though the ball was identical. The spring was longer, so I cut it down until it fit the same but still had a problem. I thought the balls were binding on the plate so I tried a taper in the holes in the rear plate surface. That only compounded the problem so tomorrow (Tuesday) I am going to try the factory plate again. If that solves the problem I am going to make another plate. If one hole is even .020 off it could be the problem.
It does work sometimes so I left it alone and took a couple photos.
20220813_174901.jpg
20220815_100324.jpg
20220815_100330.jpg
20220815_102007.jpg

I also got the plate mounted to the frame. I ground up 2 lawn mower handle wingnuts to make wedges, tapped the block and made spacers from a piece of threshold carpet joiner. It sits pretty much like I had wanted although I wish the shifters could go back an inch or so. With a short frame there isn't much real estate.
I made temporary shifter balls from a pair of red bungi balls. Mainly because they fit and they were free.
I found some clamps on a bike I need to restore anyway so I could clean up the rear brake cable mounting. I think I will unsolder the fitting and shorten the cable a couple inches so it follows the lines better.
Still no mounts on the chainguard. I have to spend the day searching for the chainguard I want to remove the mounts from.
The headbadge, not exactly what I set out to do but no time to learn acid etching right now. A friend, Don Fogler who owns Fogler Signs in Bloomington Illinois
( [email protected] ) made the decals for me and I promised him I would share that. Don was a BMX racer in the 80s/90s and used to make repro BMX decals to sell at meets. He does small runs like this that most shops will not do. He is selective on what he does, but he is good & reasonable.
The box at the bottom of the first photo, same as the one being held up by my fat hand in the last is my battery box and taillight assembly. I made them from a battery box from an Ash Flash 6 volt lantern and the red light from the Delta 6 volt lantern that I also made the headlamp from. It didn't fit where I wanted it so this will be a dry place and accessible to charge the 6 volt emergency light battery I am fitting in it. I have separate switches for front and rear lights, which I can reach toward the front of the seat. I will install a 1/8" jack to plug in a 6 volt wall charger when I can.
Photos below
20220815_162529.jpg
20220815_162549.jpg
20220815_162615.jpg
20220815_162720.jpg

Last edited:
My new piece of finned aluminum plate may be here this week, so I am hyped to finish my shifters and make up the spacers for the plates and the smooth top plate to mount to.
Coming through eBay so I am at the whims of sellers shipping. I checked Amazon, I would've received it much more quickly but could not find a piece the size I bought.

Last edited:
I just got caught up on all the work going on here and have no good reason for taking so long. Wow! :oops: One of my favorite things is using things for their unintended purpose. Love all the effort to make it work and looks great too!:cool::cool:

Killer details!
Get a chain on that bad boy and ride!!

I need to check over the derailleur and do that. I think the top spring is missing but I cannot recall if the early Huret/Schwinn derailleurs even used a top spring. I will look in my manuals tomorrow.
Since I can use 1/8" chain, I am using garage door opener chain. I used to make chains for the BMX kids that came by my shop. They broke new chains but never broke one of mine.

I just got caught up on all the work going on here and have no good reason for taking so long. Wow! :oops: One of my favorite things is using things for their unintended purpose. Love all the effort to make it work and looks great too!:cool::cool:
I got the idea for the flashlight/ headlamp looking at those comparing to the Delta headlights in the 1950s.
The taillight was already attached to the original Delta unit as well, but it folded up and down. I bolted it to the Ash Flash box.
Thanks for the compliments! I appreciate every one! Even when I don't get back and say so.
Thanks, Rob

Last edited:
The last message was supposed to post yesterday but apparently it didn't happen. Since I worked so hard on it I went ahead and posted it anyway.

Now for today's post, which may not come until Wednesday.

I had a minor problem with the shift detents with the new spring and ball even though the ball was identical. The spring was longer, so I cut it down until it fit the same but still had a problem. I thought the balls were binding on the plate so I tried a taper in the holes in the rear plate surface. That only compounded the problem so tomorrow (Tuesday) I am going to try the factory plate again. If that solves the problem I am going to make another plate. If one hole is even .020 off it could be the problem.
It does work sometimes so I left it alone and took a couple photos.
View attachment 204512View attachment 204513View attachment 204514View attachment 204515
I also got the plate mounted to the frame. I ground up 2 lawn mower handle wingnuts to make wedges, tapped the block and made spacers from a piece of threshold carpet joiner. It sits pretty much like I had wanted although I wish the shifters could go back an inch or so. With a short frame there isn't much real estate.
I made temporary shifter balls from a pair of red bungi balls. Mainly because they fit and they were free.
I found some clamps on a bike I need to restore anyway so I could clean up the rear brake cable mounting. I think I will unsolder the fitting and shorten the cable a couple inches so it follows the lines better.
Still no mounts on the chainguard. I have to spend the day searching for the chainguard I want to remove the mounts from.
The headbadge, not exactly what I set out to do but no time to learn acid etching right now. A friend, Don Fogler who owns Fogler Signs in Bloomington Illinois
( [email protected] ) made the decals for me and I promised him I would share that. Don was a BMX racer in the 80s/90s and used to make repro BMX decals to sell at meets. He does small runs like this that most shops will not do. He is selective on what he does, but he is good & reasonable.
The box at the bottom of the first photo, same as the one being held up by my fat hand in the last is my battery box and taillight assembly. I made them from a battery box from an Ash Flash 6 volt lantern and the red light from the Delta 6 volt lantern that I also made the headlamp from. It didn't fit where I wanted it so this will be a dry place and accessible to charge the 6 volt emergency light battery I am fitting in it. I have separate switches for front and rear lights, which I can reach toward the front of the seat. I will install a 1/8" jack to plug in a 6 volt wall charger when I can.
Photos below
View attachment 204516View attachment 204517View attachment 204518View attachment 204519
I added Don Fogler's email for Fogler Signs in case anyone is looking for custom bike (or any) decals. He is an avid bike guy and former BMX racer who made lots of BMX bike reproduction decals back in the day. In case you look and do not see it its [email protected]

I changed a couple more parts and added a couple. Not saying what right now since I am not sure if it is permanent or if more will change because of those changes. I will share this when I am more certain.
Suffice to say that these small changes alter the stance of the bike enough that its whole purpose appears changed.

OK, it looks like the changes, at least in their present form are permanent.

1). Different seat. I like the old seat, on a single speed bike it would've been great. It never looked right once I built the shift console though.
I had an old but nice red sparkle banana seat in the loft so it is now on the bike. I would've liked a red Persons or Troxel but this is there so unless I get lucky or win the lottery I will be happy with this one.
The seat change had another benefit, it allowed easier mounting of the taillamp/battery box combo. I used two old wire reflector brackets and a small eye bolt, but I may order two nice alloy reflector brackets to brighten it up a bit.

2). No sissybar pad (unless I can find some vinyl that matches my seat a lot better.)

3). Homemade Wheelie Bar. Once the seat change became a necessity so did the wheelie bar. In fact, they were simultaneous, so I am not able to say one was first. I did have to list them though and it is not possible for two objects to occupy the same space.
The wheels are from a set of inline skates and have the internal generators with red and blue LED lights in them. Not exactly period correct, but I like them better than old skate wheels so arrest me.

4). I was going to run a small Schwinn tool bag but with the Wheelie Bar and shifters I wanted a Bicycle Parachute. However at Nine Benji Notes, I was not a player in that game.
Instead, I took a free Schwinn bag I got on Pay it Forward at The CABE and am making a parachute style cover for it. I have some heavy black vinyl somewhere and hope to find it before I am forced to order some. Now I can have a fake parachute that doubles as tool storage.
I am trying to find an attractive way to mount the other bag still to use for the lock but no luck so far.
Since it is a red glitter Schwinn lock I may save it for my brother's Apple Krate restoration.
A word to the wise. I have had a small gift with lock opening since I was nine years old. The combo lock was NOS, but years of storage ruined the combination tag. It took me about 2 minutes to crack the bike lock combination and open the lock. That lock was new, and harder to open due to not having any wear. Imagine how easy one of my clones could've opened a 50 year old lock on someone's old musclebike.
I would have probably have grown up to be a professional Safe Cracker, but my dislike of the Prison System was my ally. And a powerful ally it is.

Later today (everyone knows what that means) I will break down and share some photos of the changes. It would've been cool to keep them Top Secret and above, but since the Navy declassified the UFO files I figured why should I be like some other government entities and wait until the Earth is attacked by RatRodBike voters to share the photos of my UBA?
(Unidentifiable Bicycle Abortion).

More later.

Last edited:
Killer details!
Get a chain on that bad boy and ride!!
I got a chain on that bad boy and rode it. However, nobody suggested connecting the brakes again, so I had to get creative in the stopping department.
No harm done.
Also, I know it was my responsibility to connect the appropriate safety devices but it made better conversational material to shift the blame to everyone else.

Both drum brakes are functional so maybe later today I may try that ride again.
I still need the hub shifter. The derailleur shifter is easy.

Latest posts

Back