Hot Rod Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you've got a way to pay tribute to your mother-in-law, and to have a dedicated space for your passion.

Maybe it will be the 'SOUTH 40'..... :grin:

Sounds like you've got a way to pay tribute to your mother-in-law, and to have a dedicated space for your passion.

Maybe it will be the 'SOUTH 40'..... :grin:
Well... it will be about 40 feet in back of the house, but I think "Back 40" has been taken. :)

The new shed arrived safely yesterday. Still no name yet, but that can wait until after some steps or ramp is added!
20220816_121506.jpg

20220816_122737.jpg

20220816_122753.jpg

Have fun setting up your new digs, Andy! I like the lofts, great for storing parts.

Those barn doors are cool. I highly recommend a ramp, great for rolling bikes in and out, and doubles as another flat working surface; pumping up tires, staging / mocking up bike builds.

H-Andy Shack? Barn Built Bikes? Rat Cage? Rat Trap? Barn O'Rust?

Finally got the Hawthorne dismantled this afternoon. So nice to not have crawl around in the grass to work on a bike!
20220817_202827.jpg

Loft works great for storing parts!
20220817_202847.jpg

Started to get some Rustoleum texture spray paint on the wood pieces and PVC tank.
20220817_202819.jpg

Wow, that is a killer shed. Now you need more bikes to fill it up! :D
Nice work on the rusty paint. This is gonna go together well.

I really like the old wood ramps / deck. Your shed will evolve and become 'you' over time. Really excited to see what happens inside here in the next years, and what comes out of it as builds!

Mine started out as a very similar shell, is yours a Tuff Shed as well by any chance? It didn't take long to take on my identity....

back40 interior.jpg
back40 update.jpg

RaT cRib oN~!

The sloppy welds on the bottom of the bottom bracket have me wondering. Has some Bubba fixed it sometime in the last 80 or so years, or was Bubba employed by Snyder?
Bubba laid down some bubba gum. I would clean that up for inspection and most likely weld it proper.

Looking good on the parts that are finished!

Last edited:
"It's a Snyder built bike from late '37 or early '38 going by frame details and the truss rods."

My list shows "Y" is 1937.

It's looking good!

"It's a Snyder built bike from late '37 or early '38 going by frame details and the truss rods."

My list shows "Y" is 1937.

It's looking good!
Woo hoo, 1937! So it's one of the first frames with the dropstand "ears" built in. Cool.

Latest posts

Back