Schwinn serial number help.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Hi. I am trying to tell if a bike may have belonged to my mother when she was young. My uncle dropped it and two other bikes to me they had for years in his barn. It is a blue ladies Schwinn skiptooth. Number under bottom bracket is
C74711. Any help with year would help. It is 26 inch. No name on the chainguard. No truss rods. Old looking stem with bolt to tighten handlebars on top closer to you. Too much snow to get a pic yet. Its is missing fenders. Probably had them tho. Thanks for any input.

Wow! Thank you. It said 6-`52 or 5-`57 so bout has to be a 1952 with the number on the bottom and being a skiptooth. Thank you very much! Now time to talk to my mother.

Old looking stem with bolt to tighten handlebars on top closer to you.

That's a description of a Wald stem. I call those "nutcracker" stems because of the placement of the bolt. What were they thinking?:headbang:Those stems are typically found on prewar bikes. What do the rear frame dropouts look like on your bike? Does the rear axle slide in the frame from the back or the front? Are there adjustment screws at the back axle on the frame? Gary

The serial calculator doesn't work for something of this age. That's only reliable for post-1948 (due to a fire in the Schwinn records room). And this has the earmarks of an earlier bike.

Pictures are essential, but it could be an early postwar with that serial number ~1946-47. Or prewar. As B6 said, the Wald stem in question was primarily prewar, but turned up occasionally for a year or two after production started back up.

CAM00336.jpg
CAM00328.jpg
CAM00330.jpg
CAM00329.jpg
CAM00328.jpg
Here are some pics.

My mom thought she would have been younger than 11 when she got a bike. That would have been 1952. So If this was hers it should be older...but not sure. I really appreciate the input and my mother likes hearing this too. If it is hers I will be getting it ready for her to ride if she likes...
:happy: Maybe some cream tires! No restore tho. She likes the patina look also!

I guess the important pictures are there! I'd call it a '47 or early '48. 1948 serials start back up in August, on D, so you can backtrack that and guess at where C lay. It looks like the wheels were swapped from a JC Higgins bicycle, since it has a Musselman rear hub and Sears Allstate tires.

Bike could have always been a hand-me-down, too if the year doesn't add up. They weren't disposable like everything is today and a family could easily have a bike go through several kids. Or the neighbor brings one over, or what have you.

CAM00327.jpg

I thought I put this on, ???
Anyway.,, a huge THANK YOU!
My mom says thank you i am sure too. I have a good feeling this was hers now! And she said she got it new for one of her birthdays...7 or 8 she thought. This is cool. I am sure it will make.her happy. I know it aint the same condition and wheels and stuff but neat that it is still here !! Thanks much guys!

That's a description of a Wald stem. I call those "nutcracker" stems because of the placement of the bolt. What were they thinking?:headbang:Those stems are typically found on prewar bikes. What do the rear frame dropouts look like on your bike? Does the rear axle slide in the frame from the back or the front? Are there adjustment screws at the back axle on the frame? Gary

Stem is not the one I was thinking of. Your stem was only found on girls bikes from late 40's through early 50's. Fix it up and ride! Gary

Latest posts

Back