Simply Red

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All:
I've been working on this one for a couple of months now and it's at the point where it's mostly just the electrical hookups, brake cables, front fender and a few other details, so I thought I'd post up some pics. My first e-bike was a cheap eBay kit that looked like this and I ran the crap out of it for three years before it finally died. After the first year I scrapped the 4x12v SLAs and bought a 48v LiFePo4 pack which I still use today. It was okay for getting around, but I wanted something safer, with better brakes, handling and bit more attitude.

So I built this:

Last edited:
Very nice.. I have a friend who wants to convert a bike to electric....Where would you recommend he looks for parts, etc... At the moment he is attempting to gear down a lawn mower starter and battery setup, which I don't think will work at all.
That is a beautiful job. A little gold leaf and some striping and it will look like it is really an old ride..

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I've been in touch with an artist friend of mine to see about some pinstriping. You don't have to take a chance and order your kit from China like I did with my first one. I've had quite good service from Golden Motor.ca and Gary's a lot closer to home for us living here in North America. The cost of e-power is mostly up front (roughly $1k with 20a 48v LiFePo4 battery) and then you get years of service with practically no upkeep costs except for the pennies it cost to charge. They say for a car to be as cheap to run as an ebike it would have to get 1800 miles to the gallon.

Just a quick update: The electric drive is now operational and I've managed to work out most of the bugs. There are still a few things to do like constructing the head/tail lights, adjust the brakes, plus some other wiring and detail work. For now I've decided to change out the double crown fork as I was having trouble getting the 8 inch rotor to line up and then re-dish the wheel to centre, the couple of inches travel helps smooth out the ride considerably. I loved the look but unfortunately there's not enough room for a 3" tire on the suspension fork, maybe a Fat Frank or Hookworm would fit. The 1500 watt 45 amp controller works great so far, about the same top speed but a bit more torque for the hills.

It's still hanging on the wall in my workshop, never did get the leaks out of the air system and have since robbed the brake calipers for this build. I may yet finish that one after my woody tear drop travel trailer is done.

RAD!!! you must be a fun dad / grandpa to be hanging around with!! \m/\m/

It's still hanging on the wall in my workshop, never did get the leaks out of the air system and have since robbed the brake calipers for this build. I may yet finish that one after my woody tear drop travel trailer is done.

is there a build thread on this bike.?
I LIKE IT.!!!!
I might consider building something like it...

Latest posts

Back