The Traditional Build (THE FIREBALL EIGHT)" Moved to Finished BIkes Thread"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

So This is going to be a first for me entering a build off. I just started this build yesterday and then came on here to post photos of my progress and saw the build off was happening and figured it was perfect timing to enter a build. The bike I am building is my CWC Road Master. I use this bicycle every day as transportation go get to work and back. When I bought this bike I was looking for something that was in rough condition but vintage so I could have a stylish vintage bicycle but one that was not so pretty that I was afraid to take it out and get it scratched. Well last week I came up with a plan to customize it while riding it to work: I thought hey I should give this thing a cool paint job, and I will theme it around all those rat rods in red primer with red rims and scallops! and like rat rods I am still going to ride this thing every day and not be afraid where I take it or getting it scratched.

So Yesterday I picked out 2 different red primers (Duplicolor red oxide primer, and Rust check red oxide primer) for my Road Master bicycle build. Then I came up with paint schemes. The pictures show how the paint scheme is going to look. The Duplicolor primer is a little more redish and the Rust check is a little more brownish. I am leaning more to the Duplicolor right now. The frame and fenders are going to be the brownish red (Red Oxide Primer). Then I will paint on the black scallops with white pin stripe outline shown in the samples. The Scallops are going to be on the fenders and the head set leading onto the frame bars. all this will be coated in a mat clear. There are also 2 sample red paint chips in the pictures. I picked them up at Envirotech Powder Coating. They are gloss red powder coat which will be used on the hoops of the rims.

One other thing I am toying with is the Buick Shares the Road Master Name So I might try and find some Buick Road Master items to throw in if I can find them on time!

Welcome to BONINE. I like the thought you are putting into the paint scheme. Nice color choices. Hard to beat a CWC!!

By the way, don't forget to put your pin on the BONINE WORLD MAP
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=984254

Thanks for the complements and comments. I just got my pin on the map.

I did some more work over the weekend and this evening. My goal for was to get the spokes removed from the rims so I could get the hoops sent away to Envirotech for the powder coating. I also had a chance to start disassembly.

Got the bike up on the sand ready for the tare down:

Wheels off:

Spokes removed and the pair of hoops are ready for powder coating:

The spoke nipples are still brass ones so I would like to keep as manny as possible the problem is the spokes them selfs are shot so if I can find new ones that fit the brass nipples that would be perfect! Here you can see how I expermented polishing up the one on the right:

I also started stripping the frame of parts in preparation for frame painting:

The pile of parts removed so far rusted bolts and nuts suck:

Last edited:
My entry last year was a 46 or 47 CWC. It also looks like your curved fender braces were replaced at some point. It's more of the features of the bike than the number itself that ID the bike. Is there any other numbers near that number? Sometimes there will be a Cw there. If not, I'll guess it's pre 1950.

That bike will look great when you get done, get a good bike lock. I noticed your forks have a slight backward bend. When you take the forks off, you can see the bend more closely and possibly make them straight. They should line up with the head tube, on the upper portion of the fork tongs before the normal bend at the lower part of the forks. It'll improve the ride of the bike.

My entry last year was a 46 or 47 CWC. It also looks like your curved fender braces were replaced at some point. It's more of the features of the bike than the number itself that ID the bike. Is there any other numbers near that number? Sometimes there will be a Cw there. If not, I'll guess it's pre 1950.

That bike will look great when you get done, get a good bike lock. I noticed your forks have a slight backward bend. When you take the forks off, you can see the bend more closely and possibly make them straight. They should line up with the head tube, on the upper portion of the fork tongs before the normal bend at the lower part of the forks. It'll improve the ride of the bike.

There are no other numbers near that number. What features should I be looking for to date my CWC? Now as it is coming apart would be the perfect time go check for them. what is the link to your last years CWC build off bike, I would like to check it out?

That makes sense why only one brace is riveted on (the front curvy one) Now I kind of wish I had the curvy braces. Thanks for pointing out the front fork issue that I did not even notice! I think this bike has been through allot, I had to straighten the forks to ride straight and the handle bars had a pretty good kink too! It used to have a whizzer engine conversion on it, so I imagine It has had some real good speedy wipe outs in the past!

Cool bike!
I never get tired of the CWC's, I've got a girls Roadmaster (future project) and also a Buick Roadmaster wagon! I like the idea of using some Buick parts on the bike!

Cool about the Buick road master wagon! i would love to see a picture in a pm. Do you happen to have an extra Tail Light and emblem that you would be willing to sell? A cool thought would be to build your Road Master bicycle to match your car!

Ok a small update: I am preparing to restore the rear fender which needs a lot of metal work. Here are some photos to show what I am up against:

The biggest damaged and wrinkled aria:

Another look at the rear of the fender you can also see the bottom of the fender which has 2 layers of steel one mounted to the back side to cover up the tip that is shredded from lots of gravel driving with the whizzer conversion (at least I would assume) I plan on cutting off the damaged aria and welding in a new patch:

Here you can see where I will have to add some patches to rebuild where the fender was cut for the Belt of the Whizzer engine:

So maybe this is more work than it is worth but I have no other fender to replace it with and I like the challenge!

Worked on the bike a bunch today. Today I got the bike completely torn apart till the bare frame. Then I stripped the frame of paint and rust to clean metal. I also had a chance to start repairing the dents on the rear fender I just did not have a chance to take pictures of the fender repair. I worked out the dents on one side of the fender next time It will be the other side.

Here is the frame stripped of its parts:

This is the frame after paint stripper and you can see the rust on it yet:

This is the frame after I took a flap wheel to it I kind of like the bare steel and gold welds would be cool to build a bike like this and powder coat it as is I guess I will have to save that for a future build:

I discovered something today my bike used to be red with white. When I pulled the crank there was red paint in it and on other various parts that showed up while using paint stripper. The tube where the forks slide in was white. does this information help date my bike better?:

So I did some research today on the Buick Roadmaster. and came up with a new theme and color scheme! I found out that the Roadmaster came with an engine called the Fireball Eight an inline 8 cylinder. So I am calling this build the Fireball Eight. I added the name to the forum title.

So the color I am leaving as a surprise but I will share some graphics That I came up with for this build:
This page is my sketch of ideas It starts with 2 different emblems from different years off of the Buick. then a couple of tank ideas and on the bottom the chain guard graphic.

These 2 are my final decision. I have the tank on top which will be a flat piece of steel. It includes black and white checkers that you some times see on the fire wall of hot rods then it has the Roadmaster emblem in red and on the front there will be 3-4 fake exhaust pipes made of polished stainless and painted red inside. The bottom chain guard (I will do this if I can get one in time) is a 2 tone piece and the curvy piece separates the 2 colors the Fireball Eight is the same text that is on the valve cover of the Roadmaster engine. and the color on the back ground is going to be white and the top half will match the frame. It made sense to put it here because the power of the bike is through the parts that it is guarding.

I also picked up some brass hardware to mount fenders etc:

Latest posts

Back