The Silver Straight Bar Special - FINISHED!! PICTURES AND VIDEO!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, well here goes! I have been collecting little parts over the last couple of months and lots of ideas running through my head. In past builds I have always spent a lot of time on the paint, but this year i'm going all bare metal! I have always wanted to do a bare metal bike and what better time to build one than in a build off! I have a straight bar frame which is just sitting waiting and crying out to be used, so I am going with that one. Here are a few pictures of some of the items I have to start with. Not sure if I will use them all yet, but just for ideas. :) Charlie

So the fork is off and the bicycle is now in bits ready for paint removal! More updates soon!

That frame has to be a pretty rare sight in London!! Great frame and parts to start with.

Don't forget to put your pin in the BONINE WORLD MAP
http://bit.ly/1nsYqVU
Then go to Additions > Add Marker - Simple

Build on!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Nice. That seat is very cool. I've always wanted to build a bare metal bike too, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Looks like a great start!
Thanks! :)

That frame has to be a pretty rare sight in London!! Great frame and parts to start with.

Don't forget to put your pin in the BONINE WORLD MAP
http://bit.ly/1nsYqVU
Then go to Additions > Add Marker - Simple

Thanks Kingfish. Yeah, it's true I don't see many U.S frames over here. I had this straight bar frame shipped from a guy somewhere in NY I believe. It was painted matt black when I got it from him, so not sure what the original colour was? When I get some of the paint off, it may be underneath. Anyone able to I.D the year from the code on the dropout? A few of the parts may change along the way i'm sure. I shall update the map, that's a great idea whoever came up with that!! :thumbsup:

Not a bad parts selection to start with. Looks like a great start to a cool bike.

Thank you!

nice to see you back Charlie! your bikes allways turn out sweet. good luck!

It's been a while since i've done a build. I'm really looking forward to doing a new ride! Thank you for the kind words.

Others have said this, but that's a great parts pile to start with.

Thanks!
+1 You have my attention!

Thank you.

Awesome!

Luke.

Cheers Luke!

Build on!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

:cool2: Thanks Jake!

Late start, great start! Good luck, Rg

Yep, a little bit late this time! I'll have to get a move on! :D Thank you

Nice. That seat is very cool. I've always wanted to build a bare metal bike too, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Thanks. Yeah, it's a cool seat. Still deciding if i'm going to saddle soap it, so as to soften it up a bit. It might go quite nice with the look of the bike though. I'm Looking forward to seeing how the bare metal look turns out too! Should be fun!

Thanks all for the kind words!

I have been doing a bit of paint removal today. Decided to start with the chain guard.
I did a test with some Nitromors on the fender, but that didn't really shift the paint much. So I went with the good old strong grit sandpaper on the guard first. It's coming out quite nice.

I think a little wire wool and a wire dremel tool might help in some of the small parts. So will give that another go tomorrow. But managed to get most of the paint off the guard. With some fine grain sand paper and some polishing it should buff up quite nice. More soon!

looks good like you have came up with a lot of good parts
but how did you create the album /post pics

looks good like you have came up with a lot of good parts
but how did you create the album /post pics

Hi Nicho, just used photobucket and used the IMG links.

Hope everyone has been having a great weekend! I managed to get out in
the garden today to get some more work done on the chain guard.

Started off with the chain guard first, which is shining up real nice.
I used a Dremel wire brush after using a light sandpaper and it seems to
really polish up the metal nicely. I'm liking the look so far.

Lots and lots of polishing.

Then I took some wirewool and gave it a buff.

A little Super Resin Polish just to shine it up a little!

So here's what chain guard looks like at the moment. I May polish a little more tomorrow, when I pick up another Dremel wire brush tool. In fact a will probably need a couple as still got to do the frame and forks.

Been working on the fender too, but need the Dremel tool to finish it up. Pics on that soon!

Latest posts

Back