~::'39 Columbia WestField::~ new pix 1/21/15 Headlight Addition

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Zombie

~:Undead Forever:~
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

So it all started with a fella named Bri-In-RI..

There I was, about to drop 40 bucks on a completely rotted out [38?] ladies bicycle on CL..
Low and behold I bring it here, as most do and have it looked over for quality..worth.. etc.
Brian chimes in, not a day too soon either.

Says hes got a ladies pre-war if I'm interested.. 70 bucks
but a mess better condition than the train wreck I WAS considering.
Coming from Brian, and knowing his knowledge, and parts of his collection,
It was a no brainer.

[let aside this would be my first Bike from an RRB member!]

I eased away from the other gently, over the course of a couple days..
All the while of course, there's Brian messaging my Inbox about its details,
as I inquire about more of the mouth watering details hes listing off by the numbers.

After a week of drooling and REELING curiosity.. Brian got a few free minutes to swing it
[AND a bunch of extras]
by my place for me to look over.
Right when I saw him sitting in the cab of his truck, waiting for me to walk up,..
I knew this was the right choice.
I could see Her handlebar poking up from the bed of his truck, like a small ...frail old Lady hand
..just waving for saving.
After a good shake, and a "HowdeeDo", we got to looking at Her up close.

I looked at Her.. Brian looked at me, I looked at Brian and
I think thats when Brian saw it..
The bond between Husband and Bike.
After a little while discussing her Curves in person.. running my first hand along her Fine
Seventy-Five year old Frame..
I was ready.

Brian brought along two other frames, one of which I cant remember the name of, though appears to be
mid 60's with the rack ATTACHED.. nothing was on her but wheels, tubes, tires and handlebars,..
Little did I know those wheels would be needed so soon.
The other frame that was brought for parts is a "Schwinn Cruiser 7". 24".
It came in with seat, bars and crank-set. [including pedals]
Again.. little did I know...

I pulled her up after an exchange of change and another strong shake, thanking
Brian for what I found a new spot in my heart for.
The weight, nearly tossing me back a few stairs as I make the climb up three stories, to the flat.

Her fat rear just staring at me as I look at her, finally in the bedroom.
I could have cried I was so proud. [of having, not the fat rear]

I began literally that hour with Her, cleaning off the loose rust, spider eggs and webbing.
It was like Id pulled Her from the Basement myself, after 50+ years..
It was a preserved experience...
And went something like This:
Original '39 tires were "Rotting" off the rims with classic balloon tubes going with that same idea. It was so bad, that the tube strip inside the rim, was melted out all over one of the rims, from sitting. A lot of scraping and smoothing later, I come to find the original front is completely warped, rims, spokes and all.. the whole thing wasn't salvageable.. the rear has some structure left, oddly enough.
Still rotting tire and tube and all, but once that was cleared, it was just a matter of cleaning all the old grease off the original Hub and tightening up the loose spoke nipples, just as I had on the front.
I had a pair of wheels from the late sixties lying about thanks to that frame with the attached rack, along with a whitewall 26"x2.1 for the front, and a standard whitewall Balloon and tube in the back for congruency until I can get the original rear rim back in shape and find a matching front for it.
[which with a '39 could take me time, and more money than I have right now.]
The tubes and tires were on none of the frames given to me, they were however in the same deal, and very workable.

After settling that, I filled the tubes on a bike that hasn't ridden in my lifetime..Though with the new wheelset in use..I'm using a standard rear Hub with a Bendix.
The Crank Wheel is vintage Stock Columbia, Making it ONLY compatible to a 1/2 Pitch x 3/16 for that era..
[which wasn't going to happen..so I needed a more generic Crank..]

Deciding on a Crankshaft I had in the parts "Schwinn Cruiser 7". I felt its Crank-set would look the most authentic behind the complete half cover chain guard.

[Pulling the original off, took a hacksaw on the crank arm, for removal of the whole unit...it was a two or three hour epidemic, due to the pedal nut being welded by rust to the crank arm.]

After a lot of noise and bedroom grunts..AFTER having tried to bring it to True Value for some help wrenching it.. [pun intended] I got through it, and took it out, replacing it with the Schwinn. WHEW....
[which to my surprise worked...and Id have probably cried after all that, had it not..]

[I had previously tried to buy a chain at Wal-mart to fit the old crank, as the one on my parts bike wasn't seeming to have it.. turns out the old one and the one I got are Identical..1/2x1/8th chain. [neither worked, leading me to change the crank and chain all together.]

With the new Schwinn chain wheel on, I was back in good shape and now able to use either my old chain off the Schwinn Bri gave me with its crank, or the new chain I got at wally world but didnt fit,.. [figured id keep the new one as a backup]

My Columbia is now Pedaling for the first time in who knows how long..

[thank heavens for Bri giving me a chain with a Master so as not to need to buy MORE tools I don't have yet..]

Finally the height of the bike is enough from the air in the tubes to let down the kickstand without it sabotaging its own stance.
I have a rider. Her first ride was Officially Yesterday, where I took it for a mile and a half cruise to my girlfriends work and a job prospect. Photos of this ride in particular were meant for Brian, however it happened my phone was dying, just at the point I was ready for the ride, and I wasn't about to let that stop me.

Here she is now, with a total investment of 76 dollars. 60 for the bike as it was.. seven for the new chain and another nine for a new hacksaw to remove the old crank. [Plus five for the saddlebag from Savers]

Thank you Brian, and RRB staff, for not only this opportunity, but the knowledge to have it on the road again so darned fast!
Those who posted in my Prior thread "Chain Issue".. please feel free to comment below and announce yourselves for your aid in this accomplishment!
1470059_10205529699151523_9040052335564822090_n_zps3e02ce50.jpg

sorry for the phone shot.
[I have some belief the chain guard is from the MALE of the same make]

This is a Photo I found of another Female of the same era. though they believe theirs to be a '47, which it is not. Note the Chain Guard and how "SCHWINN" it appears here and the shape of the rear reflector. The headlight is also "Different" from the Male Variation and I think too New a model headlight to be for this model unless improperly or cheaply restored..
1947ColumbiaCustomDeluxe-notechainguardandlackofskirts-_zps84c9538a.jpg

This is the Male COMPLETE restoration below I was given a photo of.

[Uncertain how complete and original..but the tank looks older than the paint redo]

I am told this Headlight, is probably more likely. Its a Horn Headlight combo. The Dash has a Clock&Speedometer combo.

Note the Chain Guard, and its indentations, shape and cutouts.
I am CERTAIN this Guard
was on both Male and Female models; and that Pic #2 was poorly restored..
as well as the Tail-light you see Below, Mine [photo 1] was never "Screwed in" Its still got the rusty original rivets that put it there almost seventy six years ago.
62840rambler2_zpsa63c2f49.jpg

what a gem....you see?
And after seeing this photo, I switched my seat post facing to the back, to match, as it was facing forward before, bringing the seat closer to the bars for a younger rider, concurring entirely with the Original Owners words.
I am the second driver, third owner.
the Serial reads:
D49777
[1939]
FZ

[P.S. yes.. I love Brackets to temporarily side-street a topic at conversational hand]

Last edited:
Clearer pictures OUTSIDE coming as soon as weather provides.
Thank you for your patience!
FZ​

after looking, the female in pic #2 probably IS a poor restoration, as the pedals are also not that style.. the originals on mine were as you see in the Males, in the third photo. Gem'ed persons teardrops.
[the tail light from its little legibility on mine reads Persons No. 219]

One of the best descriptions of a fresh find that I have read.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Thank you CMAN, given your 10,000 + messages, I take that as High Kudos!
I can tell you've read your fair share!

I think its the longest & wordy est..
I do like Columbias though.
9-22-10033.jpg
Pretty collection. Nice colors, very vibrant.. The twin headlights on the Blue one is a neat thing.. I like the rack too. and that seat.
Looking at your Chain Guard, My assumption was wrong above about it looking "Schwinny".. as a piece used on the Pic #2 Restore Job.
I'm not sure how far you read, but I felt with it being my first thread here in the "Builds" forum, I should dedicate the amount of Time, equal to the amount of Joy I have for my new addition. I feel really passionately about having ownership, and getting to work on something that's my age, three times over.

Aside from my clear interest in writing, and adding description and plaguing my paragraphs with metaphor.. I wanted it to be a special post because I don't have a whole process of things I've done with it I can show in progress, through pages. I'm almost finished with getting it to where I want it and just wanted to sum it all in to one good sit, writing..looking at my bike...writing some more..etc. Comfort.

[Not to mention it partially being a big favor to be given by Bri, I wanted it to also be a part dedication for his reflection.]

I appreciate your opinion, and Im glad we share a passion for the same breed of bike. I hope we can get together sometime soon on a project, and clash ideas!~
Til then:

FZ

She is a lot of old bike character for the buck and your enjoyment of the reviving process and appreciation of her 'life experience' is priceless.
Sincere Congratulations FZ.
Thank you, "Dinner". I dont think we've spoken before, But I hope this made a good first impression for posts and ideas to come!
It means a lot to know you and other members would take the time to show the appreciation you do.

FZ

Im going nuts thinking of all the new pages I can post in now, with relating parts and styles. :p

Very cool write up, great bike and always good to see fellow RRB members helping each other out!

Luke.
I just noticed you lurking about my Alerts notices and wondered if you'd pop in ^.6

Thanks a Bunch Luke. This Bike coming to me in nearly the condition I wanted it to be in to begin with was Awesome. Its been a joy just sitting on it through the days.

All the help folks pitched to get me in the Know about it, and other related topics was just great. A very helpful and knowledged group of humans.:41:

FZ

FZ, i like reading your posts and can see you have a passion for these old bikes. Great progress, looking forward to see whats next.
Thanks Chewy!
I want to write in such a way its unmistakably me.
For people to be much as you are, and looking forward to the next, like an issue of a comic. In a way I feel it adds something. [aside from lots of typo's]
I think the next process is fixing up the Tail Reflector [Persons No.219]. Its complete, and intact..but dented up pretty bad on the grill, and looking on the bay, another will be 65. I'm looking to try and fix it myself before posting here for the "real" price.
FZ

Latest posts

Back