Schwinn Typhoon.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
20150103_193406.jpg
Picked this one up today. '62 one year only (right? ) Met the seller and then realized it was a 24". Brought it home anyway. Neat bike with Bendix red band automatic. Wheels are true, fenders are straight and very few paint scratches. I think it will buff out pretty good. Cool sticker on the top tube with May '63 on it. It will stay there. Tear down/clean up mode now. Any idea year/make of the added on banana seat?
20150103_193939.jpg

20150103_194533.jpg

I agree, should buff out real nice. Very clean bike.
No idea on the i.d. of the seat or bars, but at least you got 'em to play with in the collection now.

Great Find!!

Love these twin straight bars especially when they continue all the way to the drop out(like yours). I think they made them 3 years and there is a number on the left drop out that you can look up as to the batch that was made that day.here is one link http://schwinncruisers.com/serial-number.html

Here is mine made on April 25 1962
IMG_0987.jpg

Have fun with it!

Yep, one year for the Typhoon with that frame, it's first year. Nice to see the fenders and rims in good shape. A laid back seat post might be helpful if you need more room. I got 2 made that size for my 63 Schwinn tandem from a member here.

Yep, one year for the Typhoon with that frame, it's first year. Nice to see the fenders and rims in good shape. A laid back seat post might be helpful if you need more room. I got 2 made that size for my 63 Schwinn tandem from a member here.
Yes, those seat posts are cool, I probably won't keep this one. Got a Schwinn red S seat coming for it, then I'll send it down the road.

Just FYI for all, the twin bar frame (first version) was around from '58-mid '61. The second version arrived mid year, with the continuous bars. There are several 61 Tornados and Skippers with that frame. Then, those models were replaced by the Typhoon in 62. There was a 62 Skipper in the brochure, with a canti frame, but I'm not sure if many were made. -Adam

Thanks Adam, great info as always. So when they refer to this bike as one year only, are they talking about the twin bars that continue into the seat stays?
They're saying it was the only year frame as a Typhoon, as 63 up went to the standard canti frame. -Adam

Just FYI for all, the twin bar frame (first version) was around from '58-mid '61. The second version arrived mid year, with the continuous bars. There are several 61 Tornados and Skippers with that frame. Then, those models were replaced by the Typhoon in 62. There was a 62 Skipper in the brochure, with a canti frame, but I'm not sure if many were made. -Adam
I had a 1962 Schwinn Buddy that was also twin straight bar but stamped dropouts instead of welded. I used the chainguard on my 1962 Typhoon.
A guy on the CABE has a 1961 Typhoon Cantilever frame, not the twin straight bar.
I was under the impression from the Schwinn catalogs that the Twin Straight Bar was 1962 only, but now I have to check myself.
Thanks, Rob

There were three versions of the 24" twin bar as well...I don't know how they break down by model/year...but there is the non-continuous twin straight bars, the continuous straight bars...and a slightly arched non-continuous straight bars. I believe the same three exist in 20" as well.

Last edited:
Quite possibly, I was thinking I saw the Typhoon, which I believe this is, the Skipper which I haven't seen and the Buddy, which I had as well. It is almost the same bike but with stamped on dropouts instead of welded.
The frame I have is continuous straight bars and I believe possibly arched at the rear. I will look tomorrow.
What are the models of the 24" you spoke of?

I believe I have as well. Now I have to check on The CABE, that may be where it was. No wait I may have the photo in my phone!

Here it is and it was from right here. May even be on my build post.
Screenshot_20220121-065929_Gallery.jpg

Latest posts

Back