~::'39 Columbia WestField::~ new pix 1/21/15 Headlight Addition

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great story , your passion for the hobbie is evident though your ability to express your feelings through literature .
Best feeling to come online to read. Thanks a bunch, Run. If you dont mind me asking, what style of bikes are your preferred?
[I figure I've been here long enough to start delving~]
FZ

Best feeling to come online to read. Thanks a bunch, Run. If you dont mind me asking, what style of bikes are your preferred?
[I figure I've been here long enough to start delving~]
FZ

I was an avid mountain biker for many years , i always like the muscle bikes but my first bike was a Balloon tire bike that was trash picked . while everyone else had sweet Muscle bikes and BMX bikes my bike was know as the "Sherman Tank" as all the kids in the neighborhood labled it . when i was 16 i got a ten speed so i could get to work and back .
But over all i like the muscle bikes and heavy weights equaly.

I was an avid mountain biker for many years , i always like the muscle bikes but my first bike was a Balloon tire bike that was trash picked . while everyone else had sweet Muscle bikes and BMX bikes my bike was know as the "Sherman Tank" as all the kids in the neighborhood labled it . when i was 16 i got a ten speed so i could get to work and back .
But over all i like the muscle bikes and heavy weights equaly.
I can appreciate that. I can only imagine how much you stood out THEN on a bike of that sort. Bet they wish they had one like it now. Seems Im stable at prewar tankers..with a few late 40's mixed in..

FZ

Nice bike; can't wait to see how she looks once you've had time to go over everything thoroughly, and throw some $$ at her.... I've never owned a Westfield-built bike, but every one I've ever seen or looked at pics of, they seem to be real quality pieces.... I need to get an old baloon tire example...

Nice bike; can't wait to see how she looks once you've had time to go over everything thoroughly, and throw some $$ at her.... I've never owned a Westfield-built bike, but every one I've ever seen or looked at pics of, they seem to be real quality pieces.... I need to get an old baloon tire example...
The first words about it to Bri were, "Holy Hoot, shes Big!" and "I bet shes twice as heavy as Zombie is..[My Otasco]. Brian says 'The Columbias were Built like tanks', and boy he wasnt foolin. Its a smooth, almost soundless ride.

[Prior to removing the front fender screw that fell into the headtube day 2 with it in the shop that I JUST decided to get out last night.]

I had to take the Handlebars off just to do that, as removing the front wheel and fender only reveals the screw-hole it should go into. *and magically fell through*.
I was in such disbelief it could fit, when it happened.. and I mean I watched it slip right through.. I told myself it didn't come with one and that was impossible.
Well after flipping it upside down the day after it happened, the clanking confirmed it.
On a side note, I'm having a blast trying to figure out how to put it back in properly.. Like with any screw or long bolt, you'd assume in that hole, you'd put it in and it wouldn't hit any barrier to screw into...and that IS the case.. I have no Idea how it was keeping the fender on the frame.. I remember looking right at it, and it being secure on it, and having to unscrew it..

[but like I said, the second it fell in, I told myself it couldn't have been there to begin with... how could it just... fall through!?]

I think I'm gonna need a step by step for something as simple as front fender assembly. This is put together much different in some parts than I had imagined.

In any event, the solidity, and quality.. the way its shaped, the thickness of the bars, and level of a finished models details.. its an Incredible bike to own. I could leave it and be content not repairing, restoring or touching up another thing, but I'm slightly Obsessive Compulsive..and at least have to have all the PARTS on it, even if not in factory shape.

[Which leaves from what I know of the bike, a rear rack Gem reflector.. a red one... uhm.. its in debate rather or not my guard is the proper make, or if its for Strictly the male model. I feel at a time, the company probably used them equally, especially in the earlier variations of this style. The headlight/Horn combo piece in Creme..and Teardrop Persons Pedals with a center Gem and red blocks.]
That was all more than you expected for a reply, I'm sure..:p
But I figure if you're looking into getting one, the more detail, the better, let aside I'm Descriptive on my own ^.6

FZ

This has become the temporary fixture.. and I'll either go the flashlight route or pop LED and a flip switch.. I dont know how I feel about it yet. It hasnt sunk in.

headlightoption1_zps112dd21b.jpg

10926429_10205901572248118_4266920964432985659_n_zps9731537b.jpg

10924714_10205901573648153_2925399885672948663_n_zpsb4cea702.jpg

10926393_10205901579808307_2847042593264920114_n_zps779ac062.jpg

It is a bit tilted back, I hastily did the gauged wire to hold it for the ride and see how I like it. So you think its a good addition outside of the tilt?

[Just noticed my skirt is crooked in this picture and has prompted me to straighten it now :p ]

Thanks Luke, thanks Chewy.
-----------^-------------------^
[coincidence?]

I really appreciate the feedback, if you're sure.. I'll just straighten it up and keep it on there for the time being. I needed that nudge of confidence to add something a little off tone. ;)

Welp, after removing and remounting about six times, its not feeling right on the front anymore., it wont mount properly given the fender arch and leans to one side when its forward enough to be level.,
I could probably work with it and rig it to fit, but Id really like to keep the fenders and overall look of the bike as it was when got. I have decided to pull it as a tail light. Its on the rear left dropout practically now, but my heel keeps tapping it crooked as I bike, so It might have to be set a little further back or planted on the rack.
Either way, i'll find a spot for it, given it seems to add something. The header on the Tortoise is now the fender light on the Columbia,. simple., black, it fits and was SO easy to install with the hole punched already. Photos coming when the rain and snow stop...again...:headbang:

I thought about it, even padding under the light between the fender with a strip of leather just to keep the paint from scratching,. however I feel if I take the route of keeping the copper header on the fender, I'll make a wood block for it to rest on. its light, gives me more to work with and the material wont hurt the Original paint. I can manipulate the shape of the light with it based on angle and whats there to hold it down., and maybe make it feel more..aged?
[Not to mention carving wood is much easier done than affording sheets of anything right now,.]

I still have some things to try before I feel concrete about any light, but hopefully soon., if I do this right, it might actually be worth putting in a Build Off.

Thanks for the feedback!

if I do this right, it might actually be worth putting in a Build Off.
Sad to say that Build-Off's require the bike to be built within the timeframe of the build-off, you wont be able to enter a finished or partially done bike...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back