Ryo's Rat/Hot/Cafe-Rod Bike Build (temporarily revived!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post so I suppose I should start off with a Hello.
This will be a basic budget "motorized" build with mostly manufactured parts with custom stuff here and there. Nothing out of the ordinary.
As much as I'd like to put "real" motors, due to sketchy grey zone law on our bikes down in Texas, I will stick with modifying the Chinese 66cc and slapping it on.

The bike: 1990's Trek cruiser with straight downtube. It should be a Pre-Electra cruiser. Chime in if you have more info about it...

20150213_154632.jpg

The Plan: While my original plan was to get a Cheap walmart bike and motorize it, the Idea of putting myself on a 80 dollar bike going 40mph makes me want to cry so I went ahead and hit up a local who had the bike for sale for 50 bucks.... I was aiming for a Ratrod look but the paint on this thing was way too clean.... So I settled with a functional bike with a modest Hot rod look. Since it's a 20 yr old bike, I'm replacing or servicing most things I take apart as I go.

Bare bone. For the look I wanted, the Fork had to go.... I'm not liking the quality of this fork so I will either be replacing it soon with an original one or reinforcing it by welding on cross-bars. The flex is terrible on this Bent springer fork...

20150213_184002.jpg

How cool would it be if someone put airbags on these springers? They can go pretty low.

20150213_214434.jpg

Anyways, the Head tube was too long for this perticular Bent springer to handle.... Not the matter of thread but rather the angle of the Cast Iron piece that goes on the tube. So I fabbed up this "adapter" out of Aluminium (It's not cast. so it should be fine but I'm thinking about replacing it with steel for the peace of mind...)

20150214_125820.jpg

Rode around with it and the adaptor plate did more than fine. But Holy .... these bent springer forks are hard to ride...

20150214_125829.jpg

Mocked up the Banana Seat. If I use the existing post, it won't come out the way I like it so I'll have to make yet an another adapter to offset things and mount it... From the rigidity of this flimsy thing, seems like I'll have to make / buy a Sissy bar... Not exactly my style but it's whatever.

20150219_163715.jpg

And well, that's it for the intro. I don't have much money so It'll be a pretty slow build.

Last edited:
Very cool! I would use caution with a bent springer on a motorized build, they can be pretty sketchy...

Have you thought about just short stays to hold up the rear of the seat instead of a full sissy bar? Might suit the look you want better...

Don't forget to post a proper intro in the "Intro's" section and please let us see more of the Datsun in "Other Talk"!

Luke.

Very cool! I would use caution with a bent springer on a motorized build, they can be pretty sketchy...

Have you thought about just short stays to hold up the rear of the seat instead of a full sissy bar? Might suit the look you want better...

Don't forget to post a proper intro in the "Intro's" section and please let us see more of the Datsun in "Other Talk"!

Luke.

I may use a short stay, but Either way, It'll have to flow with the frame somehow... Any tips on bolting it on to the the frame? I'm trying to drill as least holes as possible to the main structual bits of the frame.

And as for the Springer, fixing the horizontal flex should solve my worries...

Would curving a piece of flat steel around the tube and bolting it at the top to clamp it work? Sort of like a fuel line clamp. Maybe could even put some thin rubber under the clamp to stop scratching...

Luke.

Well..... My initial plan was to clamp on a support to the frame and bolt it on to the banana seat.... But it just didn't get the flow of lines I wanted so I went overboard.

Lads and gents, I present you the over engineered spring banana seat mount.

20150221_000021.jpg

I'm completely satisfied. (Oh and did I mention those are Datsun Valve springs, Cam sprocket bolts, and valve seal? lol )

And in case any other idiots like me wants to try something similar, here are some more pictures.

20150220_235958.jpg

And it clears the big ol' Tektro brakes!

I later added supporting springs after I took picture of this image below
20150220_212118.jpg

20150220_235941.jpg

While it does look stunning, the thing bottoms out and scrapes the rear wheels..... I'm guna have to limit the rear spring travel with a fuel hose or something. Well that's it for today. Peace.

I dig it,although i really worry about the steering geometry at speed
It's actually the exact opposite.... Just like choppers, they're alright at higher speed and heavier weight. but once it slows down, your S.O.L. Not to mention the rediculous turning radius lol.

But you are right though.... the rake and the trail on this thing is a joke... I love the look of this bike so I'll really have to consider some heavy mods to maintain looks and performance...

Last edited:
allright, doing some bike math stuff and was wondering if I'm atleast headed in the right direction..... Thinking somewhere around 30 degree rake and 2~4 in trail.... now those are recommended specs on a chopper... does anyone know if it'll work for a bicycle?

20150223_181553[1].jpg

Just wondering what you were planning on using to motorize this?
I like what you are doing! Keep up the good work.

Just wondering what you were planning on using to motorize this?
I like what you are doing! Keep up the good work.

Just a regular old China girl. Maybe a spring tensioner and manic mechanic sprocket... Still thinking about how I can make one of the sprocket a free wheel so I don't die if these motor locks up.

I think you're on the right path with fixing that rake and trail. It's important stuff, especially when you add a motor.

And thanks... so far, a bunch of other project been keeping me back tracked... I'll probably get back to it during the summer.

Latest posts

Back