Slow Moe/Build off 10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
it started from this.

rolling to the oldies.

can't do much cutting and notching til I get the forks and head tube.

I can go ahead and start on the sheet metal fabrication. Rough templates. Thinking about adding a little running board along the bottom tube. I can try it in cardboard and see how it looks.

I like that layout, but with 6 weeks left, you need to be in Fast Moe mode. :p

got some progress done to the sheet metal design while waiting for the donor bike. I doubt I will get this done in time being I have to make a frame jig as well as it being my first frame build, but it will get done...eventually!

one tube notched and ready to go and some sheet metal fab. The sheet metal under the main tube will be louvered with a louver press where it's marked. The wood is stained but I'm also gonna make two pieces with one stained and one without. Might as well. It's only $6 for a huge piece.

these little end caps will screw into the front of the rocker panel.

the rear fender will also be louvered with a stepped border that matches the step on the other piece

thinking about adding this piece of sheet with holes onto the back of the recessed step w/ the bottom cut out. It would look nice.

Sweet skirts!
TICK TOCK!!!!

lots of progress since my last post. I wish I had more time to work back in the garage otherwise this would be a month's worth of work.

The frame jig

welding up the frame

had to hand work the points on each one. They turned out good.

I plug welded the sides to this bracket right here. Simple stuff

starting to take shape but when I test rode it I didn't like how the BB flexed, so I knew I had to get it back
on the frame jig to weld another tube to it.

not the exact shape but always good to mess with templates first.

starting of the fender

a buck will tell you what your eyes won't.

starting to take shape

new tube to strengthen the BB in place and ready to weld.

sheet metal that was added to frame welded in.

a little bodywork here and there it will look crisp.

this lower edge came out sharp like I wanted.

This bike calls for a head light.

the back of the light

This bike should be done or at least in primer when I post my next update.

Turning out a cool ride here.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys. A lot more progress on the bike.

The head light, which was a pain in the butt is all done. The switch is on the bottom.

this threaded rod makes bolting on the bezel a snap.

pretty happy with how this head light turned out.

the final tube to the BB was finally welded in. I exchanged my DC Tig welder for an AC/DC Tig welder and there was a bit of a hold up on welding in this final tube, but glad to say this 220 Tig welder welds so much smoother than the DC 110 version.

the sheet metal on the fender tacked in. I like to double tack so I can planish without the worry of any welds popping loose. A little more planishing and I will Tig weld it solid and planish, grind, and file.

Just a quick mock up to get ideas for the final cut line on this fender. I will wire edge the edges of this fender for a better look. Thinking about leaving a lot of meat on the sides of this fender and add louvers. It kind of looks like a shell this way but if I reshape the bottom edge towards the rear and add louvers I think it will look really nice when said and done. This was definitely a crack a beer open moment for me. hahaha

Latest posts

Back