The Screaming Rabbit -- Finished (new video)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool idea on the seatpost. Can you show a detail pic?
Here it is with the seat off and the clamp slid down a bit. I put two slits (one cut) in the seat post about 3/4 of an inch down. I had to add a spacer so the clamp would fit and I put a slit in it all the way through. Works great and if somebody 7 feet tall wanted to ride it I could probably raise the seat high enough. Any shorter than where it is at now and I would have to take some off the stuck post.

Sprocket swap has been completed and the rack is mounted. I also got my long spring Messenger set up. If the seat post clamp seems a little high that is cause it is. The seat post was REALLY stuck. I have been alternating between Aero-Kroil and PB nearly every day since the BO began. I have also tried heat and had no luck with that either. Finally I realized that the old school seat post already clamped to the seat was a perfect fit to slide right into the Worksman post. All I had to do was cut a couple slices down the old tube and slap a clamp around it.

Does anybody know where I can get a REALLY, REALLY long shifter cable for my 4 seater?
Here's a whacky idea....why not have the shifting done by a mid-ship or back seat rider?

Here's a whacky idea....why not have the shifting done by a mid-ship or back seat rider?
The bike is hard enough to ride as it is and it will likely be used to give rides to inexperienced riders rather than the same 4 guys taking it out all the time. Besides I'm a control freak and other people's judgment isn't always easily trusted.

Don't bike shops have these cable materials on rolls so they can assemble them in custom lengths?

Carl.

Don't bike shops have these cable materials on rolls so they can assemble them in custom lengths?

Carl.
No not really. They usually get the outer housing on a roll but the cables tend to come with the balls and barrels already on them at specific lengths. My LBS can get a tandem cable but it is not nearly long enough.

Just spitballing here.. Maybe there's a way to split the cabling into two? The first one connects to a front derailleur, which you could connect to the second cable.
It would take some figuring out and all but that's my two cents.
Liking your bike by the way. Nice solution to the stuck seatpost.

Totally missed the 4 seater. I bet even if you got a long enough cable the spring tension on the derailleur or three speed may not be enough to pull the cable taught.

If it were my four seater, I'd go with solid mechanical linkages. :39: Not only would it look cool, but it would get around the possible problem that kingfish mentions of cable taughtness over a long distance. o_O

Glen.

If it were my four seater, I'd go with solid mechanical linkages. :39: Not only would it look cool, but it would get around the possible problem that kingfish mentions of cable taughtness over a long distance. o_O

Glen.
That would look cool but I am not really sure how that set up would work. Would there be a cable at each end with a solid linkage in the middle, or are you thinking solid all the way? Wish I had a picture of something similar.

Time is starting to feel crunchy around here. I have a lot going on the next several weekends so I will be trying to get finished up before the deadline, hopefully. I got some paint on the rear rack and mounted it up. The rack also doubles as a motor mount so I figured I would try bolting the motor in place. The motor itself is B&S 5 horse but the cage and prop are off a Dragonfly air drive boat motor. One of my big worries was that the motor would be too heavy behind the rear axle and would cause unwanted wheelies. Not really a problem but I was prepared to fill the bars with bbs.

Time is starting to feel crunchy around here. I have a lot going on the next several weekends so I will be trying to get finished up before the deadline, hopefully. I got some paint on the rear rack and mounted it up. The rack also doubles as a motor mount so I figured I would try bolting the motor in place. The motor itself is B&S 5 horse but the cage and prop are off a Dragonfly air drive boat motor. One of my big worries was that the motor would be too heavy behind the rear axle and would cause unwanted wheelies. Not really a problem but I was prepared to fill the bars with bbs.

:rockout:
This is some Awesomely crazy .... here, I LOVE it!!!

WHOA!!!
Not your ordinary motorized bike for sure!!
That is so wild and cool!!!

Latest posts

Back