The Silver Surfer - FINISHED! (BOTEN)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so just before I started to assemble the bike for the final time this is what I noticed all over the frame.

So I removed all the clear (or so I thought) and rust spots again and sprayed the primer on. Well, this is what happened to the whole frame.

So, after throwing the frame around the back yard for a few minutes, this is where it ended out. :headbang:

Woke up this morning just before sunrise, took the frame out of the garbage can, went back into the workshop and started stripping the frame down, for the third time now!! Looks like I'll be pulling a bunch of all nighters and early mornings in order to finish this bike. :arghh:

Last edited:
I feel your pain on paint. Not to the same level, but I have had a few issues on smaller parts.
I have to admit that I did get a chuckle out of the frame in the can though.
Hang in there and get r done.
That is some bling bling for sure!!!!!

Should have used acetone on the frame after you stripped it. The Polish used on the bare metal is what is causing that;
It is in the pores of the metal.
I did clean the metal. I didn't use any polish on it either, I just used my trusty wire wheel on a drill. I never use chemicals on something that I'm going to paint. I've been doing it like this for years and never had any problems but with a heat index of 108 and 95% humidity, it is not ideal painting conditions. Looks like I'll be painting it in the early morning before the sun, heat and humidity show up. I knew the temp wasn't right for painting but I didn't listen to myself and painted anyway. Talk about making 10 times more work for me. :headbang:

The ol' teachin' it a lesson in the trash can trick...hope things go betterfor you. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
It seemed to work. Except for the fact I have to get up at 5am to work on the bike for the next few days. So, I guess the frame was actually teaching me a lesson.

Double B That cracked paint affect was cool,I have to use a special product to get that look.
Keep it coming.
Yeah, I remember years ago I was trying to get that look and nothing I tried worked. Now it seems all I needed was cheap paint and a lot of humidity. :crazy:

something must have been on the wire wheel ? oil ? Any way de-grease it good and try again you can do it !
oh if the paint is old and froze over the winter it may do that as well ...

Thankful you don't live in my hood, you'd have been either chasing the steroidal metal man down or the trash truck since today's garbage day.
Hang in there Bum.....It doesn't have to look Wally World perfect!
That's the problem, the paint looked like it came from a wally world bike. :21:

That's the problem, the paint looked like it came from a wally world bike. :21:

Don't put up with any grief from Wally. Walt don't play that.

untitled-vacation-sequel-20100211062758893.jpg

It seemed to work. Except for the fact I have to get up at 5am to work on the bike for the next few days. So, I guess the frame was actually teaching me a lesson.
I work out of town during the week and my son was here for the last few weeks so my weekends were spent with him. I was getting up at 5 in the morning to work on mine too..I still have a few smal things to finish up this coming weekend.
Hope all goes well for you it'll be worth it in the end.

I work out of town during the week and my son was here for the last few weeks so my weekends were spent with him. I was getting up at 5 in the morning to work on mine too..I still have a few smal things to finish up this coming weekend.
Hope all goes well for you it'll be worth it in the end.
Thanks, I did managed to get the frame stripped tonight so I'll be getting up at five tomorrow to start the primer. I told myself when I got out of the Navy I would never get up at 5 AM again! Oh well at least this is for something that I enjoy. :cool:

my two best tips for getting good paint has always been really thorough cleaning with de-natured alcohol and a good etching primer. the last six years ive had to paint,in high heat and humidity,and I sure didn't miss it this year. good luck this time!

After the sun went down last night I went out to the workshop and finished stripping the frame.

Then I got up before sunrise, got the frame ready for primer and as soon as it was light enough to see I sprayed. Managed to get a couple nice coats of primer on before I had to get ready for work. I forgot to take a picture though, oh well, you know what a primered frame looks like. When I get home I'll finish up the fiberglass work on the surfboard then tomorrow morning, at first light, I'll paint the frame. Woohoo! It's getting closer.

Here is something I invested in for less than $5. I have one mounted in my shop where I do my painting. If I do my painting outside I move it outdoors. DO NOT PLACE IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT, you will not get an accurate reading.
DSCN1219.jpg

I don't have this anymore but I would like to get another one... It is a food dehydrator. I bought it and a couple of extra trays and removed the plastic webbing. After I painted my parts I would set them inside put the lid on and let it run for a couple of hours. Unplug and let it cool of for about 15 minutes. It does the same thing as a down draft paint booth. It will cure the paint! I was able to prime, paint and polish out a model car body all in a few hours. I've also used it for small car and bike parts as well.
DSC00101-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back