50 Shades of Blue AKA HellCamino

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the old HANDLEBAR SWAPEROO! :D I've been keeping this one in my back pocket which hasn't been easy with the handlebar conversation earlier in the thread. The apes don't look bad on this bike (and they made a convincing decoy), but I already have a Spitfire blue Schwinn cantilever build with a set:

Perfect for that bike, but I wanted something a little different for HellCamino. I really did try the other bars I showed pics of, but they didn't do anything for me. I got the look I wanted with a simple set of chrome risers:

Since functionality is a key element for this build I needed the bars to be at least the same height or higher than the saddle. These bars give me a great riding position. No too upright, but not completely hunched over either. Adding the new bars also let me move the license plate off the seatpost and mount it between the springs under the saddle. It's much cleaner looking and now the seatpost echoes the chrome fork visually.

Next I installed both headlights which let me dial in the stem/handlebar height:

And then fired them up!

These lights are CRAZY bright! I'm really happy with how the fork integrates with the handlebar, and the lights are the icing on the cake.

At some point after swapping the handlebars (but before I moved the plate) I took HC outside for a daylight shot. I also had a chance to do a quick neighborhood spin and it rode flawlessly. I'm amazed at what a difference the 8-speed hub makes!

In the home stretch now!
Really like the handlebar choice! Fits the build perfectly! Nice work on the lights and plate. Very cool build!

Well I'm calling this one done. I've been riding around the neighborhood and all I can say is this thing is a blast. Looking forward to getting out even more once the heat subsides a bit. Last shot with it's namesake before I head to the finished section.

Good luck everyone!
This really takes the cake! Nice work!

CONGRATS!!!
Definitely one of my faves!!!

This one has been a front runner for me from the first post with the fat tires and fenders. The handle bar swaperoo sealed the deal, much better than the apes to me.

Great job!
Yep, the bike checks all the right boxes for me too

Latest posts

Back