I Woke Up To A Loopy Lady Today

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Another late night browsing Kijiji yesterday turned into this loopy lady in a trade with a nice fella from the neighborhood who aired her up and rode her over this morning.
I spent the afternoon cleaning her up just a bit and taking her for a good little spin myself. She had been out of service for many years waiting in the shadows of a garage covered in grease and grime.
The guy I traded with told me he got the bike from an old timer who remembered seeing his mother riding it as early as 1939.
It's a Standard Cycle brand from here in Toronto, a company's whose history I am not yet aware.

The factors that drew me in were it being a brand and frame style I've not owned, the odometer and the fairly solid looking paint work that I thought would be fun to revive.

I then noticed the solid and shapely stem, swoopy nickel (I think) plated bars, ND rear hub and reflector that I've not seen before.

Last edited:
Cool! I like the color scheme, it should clean up nicely too.

Thanks Jim, I like the color scheme too. I may use similar combo in the future as I now have 1/2 dozen bare metal bikes. I figure that's about 4 too many!
The frame on this old girl is untouched and is actually a very dark greeny black.
There are signs of the scallop's tone under the black brush painted fenders too.

That is one extremely cool bike....think of the possibilities.
It's so much fun to clean them up and see the life coming back into them, isn't it?
however, I think it's more swoopy...not loopy...;)
:thumbsup:

best
Franco

Thanks Franco, It's totally addictive reviving these old pieces. I brought an old Higgins back to life that I picked yesterday morning and now I'm on to this one right after.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/im-thinking-elgin.97378/
A lot of possibilities indeed. Clean, lube, tires to start and then...maybe try and hide it from myself for awhile.
I'll see what I can find in way of original or complimentary finishes and I'm already wrestling with the ever present urges to 'borrow' parts for other builds.:blackeye:

Last edited:
It's totally addictive reviving these old pieces. :blackeye:

You got that right LFD...whew
It's like a drug. I've been cleaning fixing flipping bikes for a couple of years now, (off and on) Now... since I found this site, I'm chopping them, gettin' my welding skillz down....and reading these dammm for-ummmz till way past my bedtime every evening. Information overload.
What can I say....It's a super site full of creativity, a great hobby, we're learning all the time, and hey...we ain't hurtin' anybody.....
:happy:

You got that right LFD...whew
It's like a drug. I've been cleaning fixing flipping bikes for a couple of years now, (off and on) Now... since I found this site, I'm chopping them, gettin' my welding skillz down....and reading these dammm for-ummmz till way past my bedtime every evening. Information overload.
What can I say....It's a super site full of creativity, a great hobby, we're learning all the time, and hey...we ain't hurtin' anybody.....
:happy:

It would be helpful if there was some kind of 12 Speed program when it gets out of hand.
I just can't go Cold Turkey, I just need one more look at the forum or classifieds.

Oh that reminds me, today I have to install a cable stop to finish this Raleigh 3 speed I rescued last week.
00C0C_lUAW8mhXWcZ_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back