Before & After

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was working on a series of hubs tonight in order to prep for measurements to order spokes. One of the hubs isn't for an MBBO bike, but I wanted to share the before and after. Why? Because I have never restored a hub this bad before.

NxzNsu.jpg

fLbWDz.jpg

Crap! I just realized I forgot to title the pictures! Hopefully you'll be able to tell which one is before, and which one is after. :p

How will you treat the bare metal to prevent oxidation? The hub would already by crusty again up here in the salty maine air.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Then polishing wheel. Plus a soak in kerosene to get the old gunk off. Normally I skip the wire wheel, but this was so bad...
Hard to beat the ol' wire wheel when it is really bad...
Have you considered just spraying some clear on it to keep it rust free?

Luke.

Nice work. Looks new.

furyus

I guess I'm the bench grinder..{.note to self..get Dad's old bench grinder next trip to Pa.}

When I do polish up some steel, 90% of the time I'll hit it with some chrome polish, followed by a coat of Astro Shield. Keeps it fresh

I have used both linseed oil and even a rub from a Minwax light color stain, and they both look and act about the same... work great.

In Florida......so the humidly usually brings out spots of surface rust after a bit, I just wipe off with an oily old rag...no biggie 5 seconds

That looks good Crash....nice job...
cool-045.GIF

You could do the linseed oil deal too but yeah shouldn't be a problem in cali.
how does linseed oil do overtime ? you have to redo it once in a while? i heard it harden like clear , but does it makes white marks when you sratch it like clear does ? or it always stay a bit oily ? .. the interweb shows all sort of great techniques , but never anny infos on how it does over time

how does linseed oil do overtime ? you have to redo it once in a while? i heard it harden like clear , but does it makes white marks when you sratch it like clear does ? or it always stay a bit oily ? .. the interweb shows all sort of great techniques , but never anny infos on how it does over time
You have to re apply oil, not sure how often. I used it lightly on setback, it's not oily and doesn't show.

Latest posts

Back