PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm now 36, started a couple of HotRod projects and the local laws kept changing, the prices on getting them passed and engineered kept going up and I just gave up...

Around the same time my sister asked me for advice on what custom bike to buy for her husband and sent me some links, I looked at the bikes, looked at the prices, looked at my tools and told her to leave it with me.

2 months later when they came to visit:

DSCN5030.JPG

DSCN4666.JPG

From there I was hooked, I had already come across RRB while looking at designs so I logged in and hung around.

In jr high I tinkered with my bike all the time and had a pretty wild Spyder 500. A few yrs ago I found an old Hawthorne at a garage sale and it just clicked. Looking thru the web for info I found Rat Rod Bikes, the folks here were awesome and I've went from a tinkerer to a... well, I'm still trying to figure it out but I have built more than a few now. At 57 I've found a hobby I can afford and really enjoy cruising my builds with friends young and old. So I get to let my artistic freak side fly and stay in shape riding. The fellowship from all corners of the world has kept me interested on this website and that drives me to build too.

The old Hawthorne transformed into "Little Neutrino"
LittleNeutrino013.JPG

Carl.

Last edited:
Hello, my name is Jim, I am 55 years old and I'm a bikeaholic.

I mainly started working with vintage bikes because I don't have the necessary expendable income to work with cars and boats. I have several of those projects that have been stalled for decades after my priorities changed as my family responsibilities grew! I found my way to vintage bicycles because I love antique mechanical stuff and also love tinkering on things. Building rat rod bikes rather than collecting and restoring original bikes (not that there's anything wrong with that) satisfies my artistic urges to create my own vision for these machines. I've always rode bikes and worked on them as a kid, so that aspect feels natural to me. While researching ideas for a steampunk bike that I was playing with several years ago, I discovered RatRodBikes and the community of like minded people. I never built the steampunk but have stuck around here and got myself deeper and deeper into the hobby as a direct result of this forum! I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!:21:

Within a paragraph, tell me why you chose to start working with vintage or custom bicycles. Also, if you don't mind, state your age in your answer as well.
My name is Rob, and I´m 40 years old.

I like to ride bikes, always have, and my favorite bikes tend to be steel. I´m also, in many ways, a Luddite. I don´t like false ¨progress¨ that´s being promoted for its own sake; i´m not into the new ¨standards¨ that seem to be designed expressly to render the old standards obsolete. Vintage bikes make it easy to get a steel bike with old-school specs cheaply, but I do like new bikes if they´re steel with a BSC bb shell & a straight headtube and if they lack thru-axle drop-outs. As far as ¨custom bicycles¨ go, that term means a lot of things to different ppl. When I think ¨custom bike,¨ I think of a bespoke/made-to-order frame from a top builder, but I think the bulk of the RRB ppl think of it as a radically modified/chopped vintage cruiser or one of these cheezey jobs that are basically a Taiwanese facsimile of the same-- basically, frames designed for old guys who want to make believe they´re on a motorbike, but don´t wanna spend money on an Harley-Davidson. I do customize my bikes, but that´s b/c i´m a compulsive tinkerer who likes to change the way my bikes look, function, or perform for different uses.

I'm 60 and have been riding bikes since 1962, when I grabbed my brother's bike and used the curb to get on it and take off. Then I couldn't figure how to get off, so I rode for a half hour before crashing.
I rode a 57 Rollfast I rescued from a junk pile to work at my first jobs as a restaurant worker back in the 70's. School was too far away so I couldn't ride to school. I grew up when kids could take off in the morning on summer vacation and stay gone all day. My friends and I wore out our bikes. A bike was the definition of freedom. No annual registration or insurance payments. You can go anywhere anytime for any reason you choose.
I still rode a bike to my last job, at Mayport Navy Base in Florida in 2013, an easy 3 mile ride.
258131_10151207591021737_888020898_o.jpg

I had 14 vintage bikes hanging in my garage to pick from. I had file cabinets full of parts and piles of wheels and tires. My workbench was home made to maximize the space I had.

Classic bikes were made when design was artistic and materials were inexpensive. I can afford to buy classic bikes or parts on my limited income. I don't have room in my new condo, but still have 4 bikes. The wife found the fourth one in a box under the bed.

Last edited:
I'm Steve, 40. My mother always took me riding from when I was too small to walk. I had one bike when I was a kid and would not have gotten another if I destroyed it doing stupid stunts, so I built bikes from parts collected in the trash to do the stupid stunts with. Luckily, I was able to figure all this out on my own because nobody was able to show me. Then I got my license, started seeing a dancer who hated riding because she claimed it bothered her out-turned hips, and went to school for automotive design, so bikes went by the wayside.

Fast forward and I'm burnt out on other peoples' cars, but the expense of building my own designs (too odd to even use any kind of standard car as a base) while owning a house nature keeps trying to reclaim, and helping people financially along with the realities of traffic and idiot drivers that could total my dream left me feeling a little lost and looking for some kind of mechanical outlet for my creativity that sculpting, kayaks, and writing does not fulfill. Then a friend of mine got into bikes and, when his mountain bike broke before an outing, I leant him my old hybrid, which took a good beating and impressed everyone. I finally saw beyond its goofy early '90s colors and decided to modify it. After some experimenting, I really liked how it came out. Along the way of building that first bike, I learned a lot about the history of bikes and ended up acquiring and rebuilding an antique Iver Johnson, but found I enjoy building custom stuff much more. Then I found this site and realized what a hack I am, but was inspired to do more.

But I think I'm about done with building bikes for a while (once I get the chance to finally finish Interrobang) as the next move is to fulfill a dream of mine that's very close to building my own car—building my own boat design (a high-efficiency speed boat). There will, however, be fork axle mounts to carry bikes on board the boat.

Last edited:
Hi I am John aka Jaxon. I am 58 and I bought a Sears Screamer at auction in 2010. I bought some small parts for it off Ebay and was invited to join the Musclebike forum. I found myself with 4 Screamers in 2 months time. After cleaning them up and selling them I thought what a cool hobby. I love that I have had so many bikes over the years. Once the excitment wears off they get sold to buy something else. Its great you can buy a bike or part use it and sell it again. Thanks Ratrodbikes for being here!!

I'm 37 rode bikes a lot as a kid until I was about 20. Used to hit trails and dirt paths with my dad on the weekends. then more mtb with my older brother, his friends, and my friends when they got into it. Teaching my kid to ride Got me back into bikes. Im hoping to get back into the mtb stuff as my kid gets older. It definitely caught his interest last year when we did summer streets and he tried a mtb on some obstacle course with ramps and stuff that "trips for kids" had setup with ramps, seesaw woops and stuff. He bugged me for a mtb for a while. he just did his first ride last week with "riding on insulin" his guide was a pro bmx racer. Really cool event and great people.
I'm a car guy so I like building the bikes into what I like which they all seem to be turning into some form of big bmx/strandie/klunker. Have yet to get the old tank bike I have wanted since I was a little kid.

I'm 52. I started riding bikes when I was 5 in 1969. My brother raced cars and go-carts. The cool bikes were booming then. So, I was into Hotwheels and building car models and I had a Western Flyer Buzz Bike. Lot's of friends and everyone had a different kinda bike. We did the drag racing and BMX stuff. We went to the junk yard and bought junk bikes to build in my garage. I had 43 bikes at one time when I was 14. I have kept all of my hobbies.

I am 53 years old. I got my first 2-wheeler when I was about 5. An old red Huffy boy/girl convertible 20" without training wheels. Dad taught me to ride it out at Grandpa's farm on the gravel lane. Yep, 5 years old, no helmet, no training wheels, no pads and on a loose gravel drive. And I'm still here today to tell the tale! LOL
Now, many years later and many pounds heavier I have decided to return to bicycling. The simple joy of riding a bike, momentarily gets me away from the complexities of adult life and some greatly needed exercise! I have always like to work on stuff and build things. Worked on bikes as a kid. I have also always like old stuff - old trains, old cars, old hot rods, old tractors. Old bikes fit right in.

My name is Scott, I'm 53. I had a green Schwinn Stingray as a kid. Did a lot of wheelies and jumping ramps. Fast forward to a year and a half ago. My daughter (age 8 at the time) got a new bike for Christmas. It got me to thinking about my old Stingray. Bought one just like it on eBay and soon figured out that I was way to big (6' tall, 235 lbs) to ride it. 16 bikes in my garage now. I'm hooked on fat tire cruisers and custom bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello my name is Charles, I'm 50 I've been on a bike a far as I can remember you name it rode bike, mountain , Bmx,freestyle, vintage if it wasn't for Family and work. I would be on a bike everyday pure joy. These two are my favorite bike i have today plus many more.
1963 Schwinn Jaguar
704494_564180046932500_1452254093_o.jpg
This is a UncleStretch built frame.
10359510_991990737484760_5768604623189479707_n.jpg

I just did the math...I'm 48 :shake:!

I grew up trailer trash, for the most part. Only had one new bike as a kid, and it was a Western Flyer RamRod :cool2:. Pretty much all my vast array of bikes from ~6yo until I discovered cars-booze-chicks (first auto tickets at 13yo, so ~12-13 :eek:), were BMX'd 20" cantilever frames of unknown manufacture (badge or sticker, if existent, would have been first thing to go)...with an occasional cheap diamond frame thrown in. All were preceded by the theft or destruction of the previous one. Fast forward to mid-30s or so (only one bike in between, and that was a Huffy mtb while stationed in Japan), I started hanging out on bmxmuseum (in addition to a slew of car related forums) to help pass the long boring graveyard shifts I 'worked' :blush:, checking out all the cool old bikes I could only dream of as a kid. I started accumulating 20" bmx parts and pieces...but, it became clear after a short while that I wasn't going to comfortably fit on a 20" bike (6'2", 270lbs+). Now, somehow...I had dreamed and lusted after all the mongeese, diamondbacks, redlines, rippers, etc as a kid...but, managed not to know that such things existed in greater than 20" sizes :crazy2:. So, after discovering bmx cruisers existed...I started chasing that addiction. That led to three-bar bmx cruisers...that I also never knew existed :confused:. I had no idea how I would afford or find such magnificent creations. A random link in a car forum one night led me to the volksrod website...and later, another random link from there led me to ratrodbikes. I lurked in the shadows for a few years...bought a couple crusty old frames to make my own vintage bmx cruiser creations...and, over a short time, developed quite a liking for the custom bikes on this site. It was a natural fit, as I've been a muscle car / hot rod guy since I was 13. Now I spend most of my 'allowance' on bikes and bike parts as they are cheaper than cars (I make less now than I did in 2000 :doh:), and life is busy. The End...one, very long, run on, paragraph :grin:.

Jason

It's really cool to see how everyone got started into bikes and be able to read all the stories of these guys. The one thing that everyone seems to have in common is a love for something with wheels (bikes and cars) bike are much less expensive than building a custom rat rod thsts for sure.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'm 35 yrs old, and I chose to build a vintage bike simply because, no one is building them how I like it. I could have saved a ton of money settling for less, but I couldn't resist the urge to have what I own today. The cost of the build was more than I care to admit, plus the hours I put in deems this bike priceless. My inspiration comes from the good'll "stoner rock" of the 70's.

I'm Jim, 39. And I'm an alcoholic.
That's why I started working on old bikes, I was drinking far to much and needed something else to do. One day I see a yard with a crap ton of bikes in it, I stopped and asked if they had any junk or wrecked bikes. The lady pointed me to a rack behind the garage, I saw a spaceliner, thought it was awesome and the rest is history.

I still drink, but nowhere near as much. And I'm also slowly getting out of bikes, have a few to finish up; then off to new hobbies. But I might post some of those in the other talk thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back