The Cat's A•• is finished.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As always, it's been fun building a bike in the august company of the RRB Forum. I'm always inspired by your creativity.

DSCN0645.jpg

Here's the build journal:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-cats-a-finished.103673/

Build statisitics:

Frame: Early 80’s Miyata 210. CroMo frame/ HiTen fork Braze-ons shaved and brake bridge removed. Paint–Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, Black Satin and Matte Clear.

Wheels: Rear– Original Araya chrome steel rim. Shimano CB-e110 hub. Sapim spokes and nipples. Spokes and nipples washered. Front–Maillard hub. Original spokes. New Sun M13II rim. Laced 3 leading, 3 trailing.

Tires: Rear–CST Traveller City Classic 27 x 1-3/8 Front–Kenda K36 27 x 1-1/8 skinwall

Parts: SR Custom crank, drilled and polished. Outer chain ring removed. Tange headset, Shimano bottom bracket, Atom stem, Unknown bars, Union pedals, Selle San Marco saddle, Sunlite seatpost.

Fenders: Chromed steel fenders from a 70’s Ross Europa, bobbed, stays removed, narrowed.

Thanks for looking. Peace. jodphoto

DSCN0636.jpg

DSCN0642.jpg

DSCN0665.jpg

DSCN0670.jpg

DSCN0669.jpg

Last edited:
I really like this bike. Clean, skinny, no cables, and it's a perfect rider for someone 6' or over. NICE!

I love Roadsters type bikes, yours is beautiful.

I really like this bike. Clean, skinny, no cables, and it's a perfect rider for someone 6' or over. NICE!

Thanks so much. I build bikes to ride them. That's half the fun! This frame fits me but is lower and heavier than all my others. The coaster brake will take some getting used to. The steel fenders have their own sound, too. I keep looking to see if something's loose.

There are fat rats, grungy rats, dark rats, sweaty rats, and ratty rats. This rat is slick. He's the guy that steals the 20 out of your pocket and leaves the change. He's fast, smooth, and, well, just plain slick. He flies under the radar of the exterminator; but he's a rat nonetheless. :thumbsup:

There are fat rats, grungy rats, dark rats, sweaty rats, and ratty rats. This rat is slick. He's the guy that steals the 20 out of your pocket and leaves the change. He's fast, smooth, and, well, just plain slick. He flies under the radar of the exterminator; but he's a rat nonetheless. :thumbsup:

"Jeez, boys and goils. We got us a poet he-ah. Ay, I know I'm a little butch, but I'm a lady, OK. Plus, there ain't no change. Where you gonna get a pizza for 20 bucks, huh? And, I'll give your car keys back when I see ya, OK, peaches? Oh, and I got your exterminator right here! "

Sorry, bro. Thanks, man. I really like this. Very cool. Peace.

Aw, c'mon baby, get back in the car, please.

Please note. In the Build Journal, I introduced this bike as a tough woman with an attitude. (Like Marissa Tomei in “My Cousin Vinnie”.) That’s her being mad because someone thought she was a guy. I hope this explains the above rant (by the bike). Just trying to entertain. Thanks Odd Job for the very cool post. Peace.

Last edited:
This bike looks quick and ready too pounce. I like the clean no nonsense look . [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This bike looks quick and ready too pounce. I like the clean no nonsense look . [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No extra parts on this bike. A lot of steel, though. Thanks for looking and posting.

Great idea. A hot rod road bike. Please talk to my wife about the joys of rat rodding bikes. She doesn't seem to get it.

First, I love aluminati and thanks for your compliments on my bike.

I needed to think about this. Ordinarily, I would avoid responding but you put a dollar's worth of quarters in my head and so, here it goes. Sorry for gettin' all philosohical on ya' and I hope this isn’t too cynical.

A sign on a church reads, “For those with faith, no explanation is necessary. For those without faith, no explanation will do.”

A sign on a ’52 Chevy Fleetline Rat Rod…”If you need me to explain, you won’t understand.”

Both are smug, but the underlying truth to these statements is that, some things can be understood innately but still defy explanation.

The Rat Rod Bike is a case in point. Who can say why we build bikes? The trash/treasure equation is subverted. We hammer our fingers, risk tetanus, re-define what’s beautiful in terms that so few understand. We are drawn to this art form because it chose us. We compete only to play and revel in the achievements of our fellow builders. Winning is almost antithetical. Yet our dialog with those who “don’t seem to get it,” can be off putting. Especially when an acquired iconoclasm is accompanied by a “not for everyone” message.

My life would be complete if I could go riding with my wife and son on bikes I built for them, while my dog runs alongside us. This will not happen. My wife’s knees and heart won’t allow it, my son could not possibly care less about bikes, and my dog thinks a bike is a monster trying to steal his bone.

I've built them both bikes, invite my son constantly to go riding with me and even take a bike home. I keep hoping he finds a girlfriend who wants to go bike riding with him. Not happening. So, I involve them on other levels. I share this Forum with them, ask what color they would choose and solicit their comments. They are always positive since it takes less work and is easier to move on from. I monopolize the basement and garage and I make bikes. In that context, they “get it.” Therein lies the balance for me. That's as good as it gets.

Again, I hope this isn’t too cynical. Peace.

Last edited:
"Jeez, boys and goils. We got us a poet he-ah. Ay, I know I'm a little butch, but I'm a lady, OK. Plus, there ain't no change. Where you gonna get a pizza for 20 bucks, huh? And, I'll give your car keys back when I see ya, OK, peaches? Oh, and I got your exterminator right here! "

Sorry, bro. Thanks, man. I really like this. Very cool. Peace.

Aw, c'mon baby, get back in the car, please.

Please note. In the Build Journal, I introduced this bike as a tough woman with an attitude. (Like Marissa Tomei in “My Cousin Vinnie”.) That’s her being mad because someone thought she was a guy. I hope this explains the above rant (by the bike). Just trying to entertain. Thanks Odd Job for the very cool post. Peace.
Haha! Yeah, I get your rant. No worries. And, after you mentioned it, I do remember the intro to your build as a 'tough lady'. But, my memory is fading, even though my wit doesn't seem to be!

How about this for a re-do post? .....

"There are fat rats, grungy rats, dark rats, sweaty rats, and ratty rats. This rat is slick. that steals It's the dame that steals the 20 out of your pocket and leaves the change. She's fast, smooth, and, well, just plain slick. Flies under the radar of the exterminator; but she's a rat nonetheless."

Haha! Yeah, I get your rant. No worries. And, after you mentioned it, I do remember the intro to your build as a 'tough lady'. But, my memory is fading, even though my wit doesn't seem to be!

How about this for a re-do post? .....

"There are fat rats, grungy rats, dark rats, sweaty rats, and ratty rats. This rat is slick. It's the dame that steals the 20 out of your pocket and leaves the change. She's fast, smooth, and, well, just plain slick. Flies under the radar of the exterminator; but she's a rat nonetheless."

Yeah, OK peaches...we cool. Thanks for the pizza.

Last edited:
Cool bike! "She" def fits the name and "flies under the radar of the exterminator" nicely...:21:

Love the pic you chose with the manhole cover. Making me wish I'd have drilled my guard now too.

You gonna need a log chain to secure this beauty to that tree to prevent thief.

Clean build.
I like the drillium crank ring.
CONGRATS!

Latest posts

Back