STRETCH CRUISER ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm looking for any and all advice about stretch cruisers.

I've been exploring the idea of scratch building one this winter but I have no prior experience with this style bike. If you have ever owned one, built one or even ridden someone else's stretch cruiser, I'm interested in what you have to say about it!

Here's a great example of what I'm referring to (built by @Smoopy's ):
Tang-1.jpg

Here are some basic questions to get the discussion going:

What's the best rake for a comfortable ride?
Generally, how long is the wheel base?
Any overall geometry tips?
What affordable wheel sets and tires do you have good experience with?
How wide should the rear stays be for wide tires and wheels?
Etc. etc.

Thank you in advance!

That's about where I'm at too RM.
I've built the burrito - ish Harlequin and as far as ride, I wanted my pedals not to scrape and my toes not to hit the front wheel. So on my build I went with the layout of almost a recumbent. I got my measurements sitting on a regular cruiser and guestimating with a tape measure where I wanted my feet to end up and where my seat needed to be so I could reach to steer. I had some adjustment on my seat, so it worked out ok. But I'm almost ready to make the jump to a scratch built frame too. I just need to ready my new shop. So I'll be watching this thread also.

Carl.

These bikes have been around long enough that there's no need to have to guess at the geometry. I'm hoping that someone will chime in that has a very comfortable riding bike and offer some real world insights.

I’m definitely subscribing to this discussion.
While I haven’t owned any factory built stretches, I have ridden the OCC Spoiler, Nirve Cannibal, Dyno Kruiser, etc.
As you know,I’ve got a stretch bike going on as well.
One thing I’ve noticed riding those bikes aside from rake is seating position. I’m making sure I can get 90% leg extension while also keeping a nice upright spine.
Handlebar height and reach play a big role in getting a comfortable ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, i am happy you decided to build a stretch, you can be sure it would bring you a lot of joy from cruising and happy moments :) I'm all curious to follow you on your build journal.
I have built a bike like that recently. Well, i have actually deeply modified Dyno Glide frame, so the rake have been left about the same, taken out just a little bit.
I guess the angle is about 60', the same they use on Dyno Coaster frame. I have done it on purpose, since Lowrider Limousine, the repop of Coaster was my first cruiser and i have been using it as a daily bike for four years, so i got used to the way it behaves and wanted to achieve same feeling on my new bike.
With the length i went a bit over Coaster, since i am a tall guy and it always was too short for me. Though i could not stretch it too much, otherwise i'd not be able to reach the handlebar without bending my back, and straight spine is a priority for me. I use my bike for long rides (over 700km last time :) ) and it is very important for me that every body part stays relaxed as possible. So that geometry allows me to do it the way i want. I will measure the base precisely later, since i do not have this bike next to me and my sketches seem to be gone with my hard drive this summer, but it is roughly 1900 mm (from axle to axle). From beginning to end it has over 2 meters 20 centimeters. The thing is that it handles surprisingly well for its length. I first was a bit unsure whether or not make it so long, but now i can assure you the length like that does not affects the maneuverability too much.
I use 100mm rim on the back and 80mm on front with 3.45 tires, so the distance between the rear stays is about 120mm, that clears the wheels just right. On the fork i have about 110, and the dropouts i have to push a little when i place the wheel, because OLD of the hub is somewhat less then that.
The geometry tip from me is don't put too much offset to the front, if your wheel axle is too far from the head tube (like here) it would affect the steering. For a longer base it is important to allow your wheel to swing a little, if you understand what i mean by that :) Another tip would be that it is very comfortable to have a back rest on that kind of bike, a sissy-bar or something, since you would push yourself a bit out when you pedal and it is good to have some support. The good thing is that when you have it you can pedal really really fast if you want :)
Talking about affordable wheel sets i will probably not be able to help you too much, since i live in EU and here the prices and the options available on the market are somewhat different. We have really nice deal from robs'son rim producer, who give a good discount on ones with scratches or bad anodizing, which does not matter when you are powder coating the rims anyway :) I have used double wall rims for more durability, but i guess single wall would do the work as good. I also have very good experience about using BOA-G on that bike.
The position of suicide shifter on that bike on the picture in your post is super comfortable! I have same on my limo and got so used to that. Now i have taken it apart and going to rebuild it, so may be soon i will also post some pictures of the renovated version.
If you have any further questions - do not hesitate to ask, i'd be glad to help you!

I do for most of them. Unfotunately Photobucket is holding the pics hostage. From top right going clockwise, my Ruff Porucho, The black stretch that has no name, Locomotive Breath, The Double Barrel, The double Barrel, The Red Baron and the 5 Bar Deluxe, still under construction...

I also have this one, built by my friend Spokeshave, The Cleveland Special. I don't count it as a stretch because Even though the frame has been stretched the riding position is more conventional rather than feet forward.
cleveland 3.jpg

I guess you could say I'm addicted to them

I do for most of them. Unfotunately Photobucket is holding the pics hostage. From top right going clockwise, my Ruff Porucho, The black stretch that has no name, Locomotive Breath, The Double Barrel, The double Barrel, The Red Baron and the 5 Bar Deluxe, still under construction...
There is a fix for the Photobucket problem. @Rat Rod sent out a notice, I'm not sure how to get back to it.

What gauge tubing did you use on Double Barrel? I found this thread but it only had finished pictures.

I had a Dyno Coaster... Super comfortable as long as you were on level ground.... sucks if you need to pull a hill. Nearly impossible to stand up on the pedals. It had to be loaded diagonally in the bed of my full sized swb truck to clear the tailgate. Took up tons of room in the garage... looked cool as heck... but I was glad to finally get rid of it

There is a fix for the Photobucket problem. @Rat Rod sent out a notice, I'm not sure how to get back to it.

What gauge tubing did you use on Double Barrel? I found this thread but it only had finished pictures.
I'll have to contact Paul Wackowski of Wacko's Garage in Fla. He's the frame master that brought my design to life.

My advice for a first build, find a stretched cruiser frame that is comfortable for you, take notes on the dimensions of seat position, BB, wheel base, etc., and then build a very different looking frame that still has those dimensions.

I've been riding a Dyno Roadster for about 15 years. It's super comfy for my gangly 6'2'' frame, but some of my vertically challenged friends don't like it at all. As long as I'm on flat ground I can ride this all day. Hills are impossible because you can't stand and pedal. You also need a bit of a push off to get started and get your feet on the pedals. Even with that I've be riding it till I'm too old to ride. Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem about going uphill is solved by adding a back-rest, so you can lean against it when pushing the pedals.
I have went from Amsterdam to Cambrai (almost reached Paris) in 2015 by my repop Coaster from Lowrider. 400km in 4 days, 175 at the first day. Around Bruxelles there are quite a lot of high hills, also near Paris there are, so i had to pedal hard sometimes on my 3 gear bike :) The most uncomfortable thing was the absence of suspension on my banana saddle, it could get quite painful after first 100km :D But that is the other story, with a good suspension that would not be the case.
Here are the pictures from the trip, with supersized apes :D
2AqTb0Y

2hoZ3Er

2mbpqiv

Latest posts

Back