Grey Ghost Stingray ....'S Sporting Goods

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never seen one on the floor of my local, er, Richard's Sporting goods, but they are on the website. Apparently the chain is now longer carrying Diamondback but carrying more Schwinn and GT

Last edited:
Looks cool , I'm just not quite sure why they did white paint on the Chainguard ?
Without having to knit pic over the whole bike , that's what stuck out too me right away...
download (1).jpeg

Last edited:
People need to realize these are just brand new bikes. They are not the same as the 1971 bikes.
Not suposed to be. Just like the new Challengers and Cameros ans Mustangs.
They are new not old.
I think they are neat bikes.
Thanks for the video @Rat Rod !

Looks cool , I'm just not quite sure why they did white paint on the Chainguard ?
Without having to knit pic over the whole bike , that's what stuck out too me right away...

Same here...no idea why they went with white. At first I thought it might just be a protective plastic covering, but it's the paint.

People need to realize these are just brand new bikes. They are not the same as the 1971 bikes.
Not suposed to be. Just like the new Challengers and Cameros ans Mustangs.
They are new not old.
I think they are neat bikes.
Thanks for the video @Rat Rod !

images (1).jpeg

For $399, I'd be more worried about component quality. Chrome quality, wheels, bearings, that sort of thing. I can paint any 20" frame in Silver Mist and slap a 24 or 26 springer on it. Other than the white paint mentioned above, it looks like a fair deal. Although I suspect most will be purchased and left in the boxes by people who want it to pay off in a couple of years. I wouldn't mind having one to ride, but it would need to be a good rider if I went that route.

Also, a cheap fix, but replace that allen head screw in the gooseneck, and maybe a few other bolts to help it at least appear slightly less "metric".

View attachment 66206
I haven't seen a real one in years but didn't some of them have silver painted on the chain guard? I'm thinking they used white for two reasons; the white matches the white stripes on the seat and, by making it a little different from the originals, it makes it harder for some shady people to try to sell it as an original. I've seen people try selling the lemon peeler re-pops as original and they get PO'd when you call them out on that too.

I got one of these today! I think I'll put it together to cruise! Looking at recent prices of BFK bikes I don't expect these Ghosts to be a money making investment so I'm gonna use it as intended!
Finally had a day above 0 degrees so the Grey Ghost came out of the kitchen and hit the pavement for the first time! Its super smooth and is a lot of fun! Its a brand new Stingray with zero miles, whats not to love?
I did feel back getting it a little dirty though; it'll never be as clean as it is right now. :)

Latest posts

Back